How do I remove the rear wheel bearings?

This section is for write-ups on how to do certain common or tricky tasks on the bike

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

RacerDon

How do I remove the rear wheel bearings?

Postby RacerDon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:17 am

I want to replace the rear wheel bearings and seals on my GTS. The manual says "use a standard puller" Right. There is no place to grab the bearing and pull it out. The axle tube fits inside the bearing race so there is no surface for the puller to hook on to.

Has anyone done this? How is it done?

Thanks much,
Don

dreaming1964
Private

Re: How do I remove the rear wheel bearings?

Postby dreaming1964 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:19 pm

Hello, to extract the bearing, you need internal extract tool.
https://i2.cdscdn.com/pdt2/2/1/7/1/065x ... ar-pri.jpg
Only for exemple.https://cdn.manomano.fr/coffret-extract ... 8040_4.jpg
Dreaming1964

RacerDon

Postby RacerDon » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:56 am

Thank you so much for that info. I did not know about this tool. Using Google image search I was able to find the tool for sale on Amazon and have it ordered. Hope it works!

Don

dreaming1964
Private

Postby dreaming1964 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:11 am

Hello, warning!!! use the good size for the bearings

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:44 pm

I removed mine by first removing the oil seals, which should be replaced, not reused, so doesn't matter if you damage them. I then have a 300mm long 10mm stainless rod that I put through the centre of the wheel make contact with the outer part of the bearing and knock it gently. rotate to another part of the bearing and do the same until the bearing comes out. Save the old bearing to place over the new one when knocking it in. The new bearing should be put in the freezer to slightly shrink it before putting it in the wheel. Place the new bearing in the wheel with the old bearing on top of it and gently tap the bearing until it sits against the internal lip. Job done :clap:

Front wheel bearings are a different story and do need the special Yamaha tool, but be warned the bearings are no longer available from Yamaha and invariably collapse during removal. see my blog viewtopic.php?f=55&t=3327 page 2 onwards.

Return to “"How To's"”