Starting full rebuild of a 93 GTS1000

This where you can add a special bike project based on a GTS1000 rolling chassis.
jorojin
Master Sergeant

Re: Starting full rebuild of a 93 GTS1000

Postby jorojin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:52 pm

Perseverance and 50+ years of bodging bikes and cars helps. I hope to get out on the bike for the first time since the rebuild this week if the weather is kind to me. Wish me luck. I only want to do 20 miles so that I can take all the plastic off and re-tighten and re-torque everything. :? :rolleyes: :clap:

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:17 am

Bit the bullet and had a tracker fitted to the GTS. Shows me not only the location (trapped in my garage by 8" of snow :coffee: ) but also current battery voltage, which is important with lithium batteries as you haven't to let them run flat .

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:17 pm

7 Page spread on the GTS1000 in the Classic Motorcycle Mechanic April edition. Starts not liking it on the basis of looks and past reviews, but by the end loves it. :clap: :cheers:

A good review can't do any harm on GTS prices. :D :clap:

They seem to be under the impression that there are only 6 left in the UK, got that one wrong. :rolleyes: :doh:

OmegaChassis
Sergeant Major

Postby OmegaChassis » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:36 pm

Hello Jorojin
Thanks for the info :clap:
jorojin wrote:7 Page spread on the GTS1000 in the Classic Motorcycle Mechanic April edition. Starts not liking it on the basis of looks and past reviews, but by the end loves it. :clap: :cheers:

A good review can't do any harm on GTS prices. :D :clap:

They seem to be under the impression that there are only 6 left in the UK, got that one wrong. :rolleyes: :doh:

Iv'e got 2 gts's on sorn, 2 crashed gts's and enough spares to build a couple more! :whistle:
I love the summer, it is my favourite day of the year!

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:26 am

I wrote to Classic Motorcycle Mechanics and they have asked for a ride of my rebuilt bike, so might get a follow up story published. viewtopic.php?f=55&t=3327

OmegaChassis
Sergeant Major

Postby OmegaChassis » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:39 pm

jorojin wrote:I wrote to Classic Motorcycle Mechanics and they have asked for a ride of my rebuilt bike, so might get a follow up story published. viewtopic.php?f=55&t=3327

You flash so and so :!: :-o :cheers:
I love the summer, it is my favourite day of the year!

Mark Henry
Sergeant First Class

Postby Mark Henry » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:03 pm

Nice one - do tell us when it's going to be published

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:56 am

Thumbs up!

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Sun May 20, 2018 6:04 pm

A word of Caution!!

To finish off the rebuild, I swapped the kph speedo that was on the bike originally (Nederland) for an mph speedo - didn't work. :wtf: :?
The reason was that the original kph speedo is on a non-ABS bike (mine) and the mph speedo was from a UK ABS model. The front wheel rotation pulses on a ABS bike goes direct to the ABS ECU, where the ECU does all the multiplying and dividing of the pulse and then sends it to the speedo, via a little circuit board inside the speedo console. On the non-ABS bike the front wheel rotation pulses go straight to the speedo via a similar small circuit board, but this one has extra components that do the dividing and multiplying before sending to the speedo. So if you use a ABS speedo on a Non-ABS bike these extra components aren't there, therefore the speedo gets gibberish and doesn't work. :doh:

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:35 pm

One of my neighbours who is a keen biker knew I was rebuilding the GTS and mentioned it to one of his business associates after a meeting in London and the guy gave him something for me to look at. A mysterious black box :shock:

On opening it seems to be a presentation given to new owners of a GTS. With a VHS video, key fob (missing), owners log/service book and a whole folder of press info and photos. :clap:

The bike it went with was reg number P456MOY, it would be interesting to see if it is still around as there isn't a single entry for it in the service book. :coffee:

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:44 pm

I haven't been able to do much on the bike to sort the last few things out over the last couple of weeks mainly due to my right shoulder that I had a 30mm tear on the main tendon attachment to my shoulder. 2 years ago they pinned it back on the bone with 3 metal embedments. Even though I was in a 24/7 sling for 6 weeks to allow the tendon to re-attach it was a total failure with one of the embedments breaking and the other 2 pulling through the tendon. So I have been told that I either accept the pain and get on with things or have a total shoulder rebuild. I don't fancy the latter option, so my use of the GTS may be restricted :cry:

To cap it I get the colour coded panniers back from the respray next week :doh:

I will have further info in the next couple of weeks.

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:59 pm

My old one was P414 MOY, so close! That's the bike that is now a trike (with a different reg on it).

I also have all (or most of) that set, though I got them after I bought the bike, rather than with it.

Tendon issue sounds like a nightmare. Don't envy you that. Getting old sucks eh?!

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:15 pm

I got the panniers back from spraying today with a few curses from the guy that sprayed them to match the bike. He says the they are the worst thing he has ever had to spray and doesn't want to ever do any again. It seems that the silver finish on the panniers needs to be literally burnt off, not just etched, before you can etch and prime them. I will post pictures over the weekend, they look good. :clap: :cheers:

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:43 pm

The panniers look good and when I had worked out how to put them on the bike they looked even better. :clap: :cheers: :D

But now I have had to make a big decision, due to my various ailments, but predominantly my right shoulder I am going to have to put the GTS up for sale. I was hoping that I would get at least a season out of riding it, but the strain on my shoulder has proved too much. The alternatives were 1) keep it as probably the best condition GTS in the UK and keep it in the garage to admire, 2) keep it and occasionally ride it to car / bike shows, 3) ride it and take more codeine :doh: , or 4) sell it so someone else can do the final tweaks and enjoy it for what it is. Unfortunately the latter is the favourite at the moment. I will probably put it for sale on eBay, when I get back from holiday, with a long description on what has gone into the bike, but it has cost me in excess of £7k and I would be reluctant to let it go for £6k. I know this is well above what an "unsorted" GTS would go for but even at £6k it doesn't reflect what has been spent or the hours that have gone in to the rebuild. Hopefully someone might be interested in it. Got to say one thing, the project would not have been the success it has been without the help, guidance and kindness regarding access to very rare spares that came from OmegaChassis, thanks :clap:

Return to “Projects”