Replacing the collector box with???

knockieboy
Private First Class

Replacing the collector box with???

Postby knockieboy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:57 pm

So, having completely stripped our GTS we planned to swap out the catalytic convertor for something else. On removal it is corroded away where headers meet cat so now a necessity rather than just choice alone.

So what are the solutions that anyone has tried, the only three options i can see from researching this forum and online are: buy a second hand cat from ebay or somewhere, find a local guy to weld together 4-2-1 insert, or modify an exhaust from FZR1000 exup.

Each of these presents its own problems - anyone any hints????

I can see this as being the one thing that stops the bike going back on the road so any feedback would be great.

Devonian
First Sergeant

Re: Replacing the collector box with???

Postby Devonian » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:07 pm

You can also buy or make new inlet stubs and have them welded to the existing cat.
MSF Ridercoach -- IBA: 35353 -- 95 R1100GS, 85 R80RT, 96 DR350, 85 TW200, 99 DX125

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:34 am

Where are you based, you don't say in your profile?

knockieboy
Private First Class

Postby knockieboy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:42 am

I'm in Ayrshire, Scotland.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:11 pm

I have a Cat box that is in reasonable condition, the 4 stubs have been replaced at some point, the brackets need rewelding, but it appears to be in a condition that could be restored and reused. Drop me a PM if you are interested.

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:15 pm

I just bought some stainless, cut off the original stubs and welded on the new ones. Cheapest solution and pretty easy to do

knockieboy
Private First Class

Postby knockieboy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:24 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. After consideration I've splurged on the exup exhaust from black widows as with some slight mods this reportedly will fit the bike. We really wanted to get rid of the cat and this seems the least problematic solution. It's a bit of money and has blown the budget but what the hey!!! Should arrive tomorrow and I'll give an update on how it went in terms of fitting over the next week or so.

Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

knockieboy
Private First Class

Postby knockieboy » Tue May 02, 2017 1:27 pm

Quick update. Exhaust has been fitted to bike. Didn't require any cutting or extending pipes. We wondered if this was because we have removed front end so installation is less problematic. Just went straight on with only issue being that clamp doesn't line up with hanger on frame but it feels secure. It's a bit tight near rear brake lever but there is just enough clearance for this to be fine. We have still to fire up bike so no idea if we will encounter problems once that happens. So far so good though. ImageImageImage

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Tue May 02, 2017 2:18 pm

What are you doing about a lambda sensor and a bump stop for the centre stand?

knockieboy
Private First Class

Postby knockieboy » Tue May 02, 2017 3:34 pm

As bike currently on centre stand and no wheels (had to take it off lift to fit exhaust) we won't be able to see effect of that until we can raise centre stand. Current options are welding on bump stop to new exhaust or removing centre stand altogether (I'm not sure that centre stand will have clearance to go all way up!!). Lambda sensor - we looked at getting a dummy plug/O2 eliminator from dynajet but haven't found right model yet. Did read some stuff about bike running without lambda sensor plugged it in. we can always drill hole in exhaust and weld in lambda sensor if required. As you can see we are problem solving as we go!!!!!

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Mon May 08, 2017 11:57 am

I also used the Black Widow downpipes and found that the outlet was pointing too far upward and conflicted with the centre stand. I finish up taking a narrow "V" out of the underside of the 4into1 junction and re-welding to get the right alignment.

knockieboy
Private First Class

Postby knockieboy » Mon May 15, 2017 9:26 am

Yeah, we are finding that the outlet is not aligned. We removed centre stand to see if that would make a difference but it's still too high. Also now noticing that down pipes are now touching against frame at front end. Not sure if this is caused by taking it on and off repeatedly and now it's misshapen!!

knockieboy
Private First Class

Postby knockieboy » Mon May 15, 2017 12:08 pm

jorojin wrote:I also used the Black Widow downpipes and found that the outlet was pointing too far upward and conflicted with the centre stand. I finish up taking a narrow "V" out of the underside of the 4into1 junction and re-welding to get the right alignment.

Do you have any pictures of where you cut the v to get right alignment? the exhaust is now holding up the whole thing!

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Tue May 16, 2017 10:37 pm

knockieboy wrote:Yeah, we are finding that the outlet is not aligned. We removed centre stand to see if that would make a difference but it's still too high. Also now noticing that down pipes are now touching against frame at front end. Not sure if this is caused by taking it on and off repeatedly and now it's misshapen!!

You have to remember that the downpipes weren't made for this bike :wtf: . My downpipes also touched the frame ( I assume it is the left hand side same as mine, but with a little bit of pushing and pulling on that pipe maintaining the correct distances between the 4 pipes at the exhaust port (I got 50mm /85mm/50mm Use wooden blocks between the pipes held by cable ties while you give the left hand pie some welly, careful not to buckle the pipe though) at the pipes, not the thickened section that goes into the exhaust port) and a little judicious grinding of the edge of the frame you get clearance. I also found that the front left hand nut on the bottom rail touched the left hand pipe. I overcame this with a reduced thickness M10 nut and cutting the bolt to the exact length of the nut. :whistle:

As to altering the angle of the exit of the downpipes I will try and get a photo of where we cut the pipes, but it may be difficult to show properly as they are now on the bike and it would break my heart to have to take them off again :doh: . It was in the middle of 4 in to 1 neck and I cut for 3/4 of the distance, just leaving the top uncut. I then cut a wedge about 7 or 8 mm at the widest out of the 4 in to 1 rear edge of the cut and bent the tail end down. The welder then TIG stick welded it closed, but take it in stages with a tack weld and try it up to the bike. You can just see a trace of the edge of the weld on page 13 second exhaust photo down about 1" in from the right hand edge of the photo, it looks like a brown smudge just in front of the weld of the right hand downpipe. I used a 1mm thick stainless cutting disc on a 4" grinder and it had no problems doing a nice clean cut :clap: . viewtopic.php?f=55&t=3327&start=180

You might as well put the 45deg lambda sensor boss in at the same time. :idea:

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Wed May 17, 2017 1:38 pm

Here is a photo of the underside of the 4 into 1 joint that I cut, removed a wedge of steel and rewelded. Sorry about the quality of the photo, too many reflections. :doh:

and the one that I referred to earlier showing the brown mark indicating the cut. If you leave the top intact there seems to be little deflection in the 4 downpipes, but check the alignment before you do any cutting and the distance between the exhaust port ends of the pipes.

And here is how close the bottom rail nut is to the exhaust even though I have reduced its thickness.

Return to “Modifications”