On a diet...My track bike.

How have you made your GTS go quicker?

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

clkmaker
Sergeant

On a diet...My track bike.

Postby clkmaker » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:11 pm

I recently purchased my second '94 strictly for track use (higher miles and rough body work).
Any thoughts on trimming some weight off of her?
I don't have the $$$ for anything radical, mainly looking for tips on how anyone trimmed some weight off.

Yeah I know I should trim some weight also...

Devonian
First Sergeant

Postby Devonian » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:50 am

I would start with the heavy stock exhaust, ABS unit and battery (change out for lithium). Those are the easy things and should be good for 30 pounds or so at a guess. All the above would come at some cost. Free weight loss would come from unbolting the rear hugger, passenger pegs and centerstand, which I guess might be worth another fifteen or so pounds between them.

If you're sure it is going to be track only, I'd remove the entire dash and replace with a vapor unit or something like that.

Good for both weight loss and handling would be lighter wheels. The front would obviously be a difficult and/or expensive proposition. Finding a lighter rear wheel might not be so hard, however, although I have no idea what models you might look at.
MSF Ridercoach -- IBA: 35353 -- 95 R1100GS, 85 R80RT, 96 DR350, 85 TW200, 99 DX125

clkmaker
Sergeant

On a diet....

Postby clkmaker » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:28 pm

Center stand was on the list along with the head light.

Thanks for the other suggestions. What do you mean by " rear hugger" and "replace with vapor unit" (dash)?

Thought also about the ABS unit but would like to keep it on.
Never thought of the exhaust, anyone have some ideas on a replacement exhaust and what effect it would have not having the cat converter on it???

StJean
Sergeant Major

Re: On a diet....

Postby StJean » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:37 pm

clkmaker wrote:and what effect it would have not having the cat converter on it???
more power, less weight ^^
If a man says he will fix it, he will !
There's no need to remind him every six months about it.

clkmaker
Sergeant

On a diet....

Postby clkmaker » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:31 pm

so they (GTS 1000's) do not have O 2 sensors like cars do?
Tied into the ECU?

Tim Jones

Postby Tim Jones » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:47 am

I have also wondered about track only GTS as most of my bike riding has been on track in the last ten years.

I would think as a track bike you can dump both stands, complete rear subframe, seat and tail cowl, footrest assemblies, front fairing, clocks, lighting, complete exhaust, road size battery can at least be halved in size.

I haven't looked under the bodywork of my GTS yet but assume if the guys here are saying you can detach the ABS then that wont adversely effect anything electrical. I gather that removing the lamna sensor in the exhaust might cause ECU to have brain fade but I'm open to your greater knowledge of such things.

The engine doesn't require the cat to run, but does the ECU need to know the cat is there? Has anyone ditched the jerky injection system and run carbs from FZR?

The main thing I'd like to loose beyond all the above is the front subframe. Anyone ever made a lower, bespoke front frame? I want mine to be lower lighter and sleek, if any of this project is ever to happen.

Tim
Road racer for many years on everything from 125RS hondas to GSXR superbike. Engineering background now flying a desk. Zero knowledge of Yamaha GTS but enjoying owning something I have admired from afar for years. Tim Jones, (
google MiniTwin racing)

Return to “Power and Speed”