bearings.. need help

How have you made your GTS go quicker?

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

gnot

bearings.. need help

Postby gnot » Mon May 18, 2009 8:50 am

my english is not good because I from Poland :)
So I need good advice. I want to replace in my GTS 1000 bearing from the engine gear - from the chain and the question.
whether to pull out the engine for this action? or not,or I must to divide engine :?
Last edited by gnot on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StJean
Sergeant Major

Postby StJean » Mon May 18, 2009 9:14 am

hello dear gnot.
One of my grand fathers came from poland (unfortunately I only can say "Babouchka, Kluski krajane, Mozvsce, Piejena" etc . ;))
For your question, I'm sorry to say I didn't understood what you are asking :/ (but my english is as bad as yours ^^)
I guess you wish to change your "external" bearing (the one close to the sprocket) and you wish to know if you must "open" the engine (and if you must drop the engine out of the frame)
The answers probably are : yes, and no (but I do recommand to do it anyway (much easier IMO))
If a man says he will fix it, he will !
There's no need to remind him every six months about it.

gnot

Postby gnot » Mon May 18, 2009 12:11 pm

StJean wrote:hello dear gnot.
One of my grand fathers came from poland (unfortunately I only can say "Babouchka, Kluski krajane, Mozvsce, Piejena" etc . ;))
For your question, I'm sorry to say I didn't understood what you are asking :/ (but my english is as bad as yours ^^)
I guess you wish to change your "external" bearing (the one close to the sprocket) and you wish to know if you must "open" the engine (and if you must drop the engine out of the frame)
The answers probably are : yes, and no (but I do recommand to do it anyway (much easier IMO))

thanks for answer :D I must change bearing on small sprocket (on the outside) as you say

an image Image

in the picture I made mistake.. not engine this gearbox
napisze po polsku w razie czego :D
chce wymienić łożysko na wałku zdawczym i nie wiem czy należy rozebrać silnik by tam dojść, czy zdołam to zrobić ściągając samą zębatke...pozdrawiam :P

rooyenan
Site Admin

Postby rooyenan » Mon May 18, 2009 1:43 pm

Just checked the manual...

Here's an exploded view..

It looks like the bearing is kept in place by a circlip..

What I would do is remove the sprocket, if I'm correct there's an oilseal underneath, then there could be a circlip retaining the bearing..

I'm not sure, since I never checked it, but according to the drawing... :lol: :lol:

Sir Avalon
- - - - - - - - - - - -

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Mon May 18, 2009 1:53 pm

There is an oil seal underneath
There is a circlip too
I am 400 kms from my crankcases, so cannot check whether it will pull through, by using a special bearing puller
If you can do this, you would have to loosen the crankcase screws around the bearing

Sorry I cannot be of more help. The only reason this bearing goes is due to impact damage on the chain or too tight chain tension
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

gnot

Postby gnot » Mon May 18, 2009 1:59 pm

thanks for answers :D
gts ;D
peugeot elyseo
fiesta 1.1
golf ll automat 1.6

rooyenan
Site Admin

Postby rooyenan » Mon May 18, 2009 2:40 pm

gnot wrote:thanks for answers :D

BTW... There is NO GTS 1200!!! :lol: :lol:

Only GTS1000, so you'd better change your signature!!!

Or post some pictures of the illusive GTS 1200!!! :lol: :roll: :wink:

Sir Avalon
- - - - - - - - - - - -

wheeler
Master Sergeant

Postby wheeler » Mon May 18, 2009 5:12 pm

No can do without disasemblyng the engine.
The only way to do it is....take the engine out of the frame, turn it upside down, take the lower case of and take out the gearbox shafts....only then you can change the driveshaft bearing.

It is much work....so....i wish you luck.

But...check your chain and sprockets first....i have seen people doing what you want to do and with the new bearing they had the same noise....because they used the old chain and sprockets

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Mon May 18, 2009 5:43 pm

wheeler wrote:...
The only way to do it is....take the engine out of the frame, turn it upside down, take the lower case of and take out the gearbox shafts....only then you can change the driveshaft bearing.

gnot seems to think it is the bearing, but I know somebody who was told his little end/piston pin bearing was f**ked, and it's an engine out repair.
It was a loose gearbox driveshaft sprocket, as the nut was only held on by the cover :shock: :lol:

Re your suggestion, I don't think you can take the bottom off without taking off the top, there are some bolts that go through from the top, that you cannot undo....but you can get some special bearing pullers for ball bearings with special "balls", that once you remove/break the cage locally, you can insert and turn 90 degrees, and pull out the bearing against the gearbox shaft. I think he might be able to do this :idea: , as the hole is "line bored", the seal is the same size as the bearing etc, but only once he removes the circlip...and a lot of luck, and a little heat to expand the aluminium and make the hole bigger.

If he was very brave, he could run a ring of MIG weld around the balls, this would shrink the bearing, but I'm not sure whether it would come off the gearbox shaft. It should do, but I have never done this with a shaft in the middle. :?
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

wheeler
Master Sergeant

Postby wheeler » Mon May 18, 2009 9:13 pm

See there is the problem...with bearing siting tight in the cases and on the shaft there is no way a little bearing puller arms can withstand such forces and get that bearing out (the puller that you have to break the ball cage has a wery tiny puller arms and they brake of wery easily).

I think the cases can be split from the botom...oil pan off, suction oil snorkel off, lower case off. The more i think about it the heawyer it gets....i cant remember for sure if Yamaha has some bolt screwed in from the top...i will check the microfishe tomorow....

gnot

Postby gnot » Tue May 19, 2009 8:08 am

I must open the engine and gearbox and change that bearing.. probably I can do it self :lol: :wink: thanks again :twisted:
gts ;D

peugeot elyseo

fiesta 1.1

golf ll automat 1.6

Return to “Power and Speed”