MicroSquirt

How have you made your GTS go quicker?

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

Andrew Schauer

Postby Andrew Schauer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:01 pm

24c-
The injectors might not be closing completely either... leaking a little bit between each pulse would affect your fueling no doubt.
Andrew Schauer
1993 GTS 1000

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:45 pm

Andrew Schauer wrote:The injectors might not be closing completely either... l

Correct, they might not be, I am going to swap teh stock ECU into the bike and see if the idle performance improves, and if it does it will point the finger at my MicroSquirt settings.

PS The ignition and injection driver board has come from Canada, the FJ ECU case from Scotland, so once that little MicroSquirt Module drops through the letter box, I will be playing some more fabricating a replacement ECU. 8)
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

24c
Site Admin

They have arrived

Postby 24c » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:59 pm

The bits have arrived, thank you Andrew, and I have had a good day on the dyno.

I had a problem with the exhaust extraction, and I changed the fan for a 200mm one, and what a difference. The pressure drop in the room from the suction effect, means the UPVC door is hard to open. :shock:

Today, I modded the intake further and the suction/extraction has improved further still. I tested the bike on the exhaust cone, and there was no blowback at all, despite popping the throttle quickly upto the rev limiter! In fact there was a huge rush of air going into the exhaust cone too... so it's really promising.

The intake air is rushing into the room via ithe underground trunking, and a blue paper towel is held vertical, and what's more impressive a 150mm lid is held afloat on the stream of air.

I am now going to mod the dyno room cooling fan for the radiator system, so that it is more directional.

and when I got home, I had the final piece in the puzzle. for the new EFI system.

heinlein
Sergeant

Postby heinlein » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:04 pm

I'm looking forward to comparison dyno charts and a riding report.

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:12 am

heinlein wrote:.... and a riding report.

Next weekend, I hope to get a bung welded in the exhaust, and look at the replacement airbox design, so I can do live datalogging under real loads. However, I just tried to tax the bike online and it's saying I don't have a current MOT....and I can't find the certificate at home either :x

So I'll have to take the bike for an MOT first, which means building it back up etc, but anyway gotta laugh, this project has never been straight forward. :)

So you will be waiting a little longer. :P

heinlein
Sergeant

Postby heinlein » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:17 pm

24c wrote:So you will be waiting a little longer. :P

Delayed gratification increases the pleasure derived.

24c
Site Admin

MicroSquirt Module in ECU case

Postby 24c » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:19 pm

I managed to acquire an FJ1200 ECU on eBay for sub £20, so the case for the MicroSquirt Module is decided. I do not want to hack a GTS ECU yet, as I am making an adaptor chassis to suit later.

The FJ case came with all the rubber boots (waterproofing) & also the male connectors ,which are different format to the GTS1000, but actually occupies the same space.

I also negotiated a couple of these little PCBs, which will allow me to pick up my Tyco (Japan) OEM GTS connectors, and rewire them to suit the Module inputs/outputs.

Everything should fit in nicely, although the driver boards will be double stacked over the Module board.

Waiting for the postman now before I can start again.... :cry: :)

PS will be in the dyno tomorrow, as going to try revised ASE & WUE enrichment profiles, that are more like the OEM ones.

24c
Site Admin

Re: MicroSquirt Module in ECU case

Postby 24c » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:43 pm

24c wrote:PS will be in the dyno tomorrow, as going to try revised ASE & WUE enrichment profiles, that are more like the OEM ones.

I have tried to get in the dyno for the past two days, and haven't managed it yet, although I have boosted the exhaust extraction further by adding another fan in series. Performance is exceptional, and pressure drop in the room means a fair tug is needed to open the uPVC door.

It doesn't seem to affect the barometer :?

On Saturday, I am going to smoke test the room with a smoke pellet, and watch how & how quick the room clears itself. 8) I have a CO meter/alarm as a backup in case I get giddy tuning a GTS too long. :)

Still waiting for my latest parcel :cheers:

Andrew Schauer

Postby Andrew Schauer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:05 pm

I'm waiting for your latest parcel also... seems to take longer to ship inside the continental US than US -> UK.
Andrew Schauer

1993 GTS 1000

24c
Site Admin

Day 1 after exhaust extractor mods

Postby 24c » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:44 pm

Just an update, I managed to strap the red GTS1000 on the revised dyno mountings, and started out testing the ASE/WUE mods, but once it got warm, I thought I'd play at smoothing out the idle instead.

First I switched out all the Acceleration Enrichments, and flat lined their responses in the Acceleration Wizard graph. Then I made sure EGO was disabled.

Then I equalised the lower RPM bins for VE Table 1 & 2 and Ignition Advance Tables 1 & 2, which meant I was not getting any unusual crossovers. The load kPas bins were identical in the left hand vertical column, so by identifying the regions where the RPM dot was working, I flat lined these values, avoiding zeros.

It worked, and so I reduced the stable idle to 1100±50, but the bike was still fluffy at higher revs. I cannot time the bike yet, without spraying oil everywhere with the inspection plug removed, so I reduced the TDC settings from 157º to 150º and it seemed better. I further flat lined the ignition tables and adjusted the advance till it sounded sweeter.

However, it was still fluffy, so I reduced the required fuel from 9 to 8, which improved higher rpms, and then increased the idle VE bin to compensate. As a result of these tweaks, the engine seemed to be running a little better, so I slowed the idle speed further to around 1050±50 rpm, which is close enough to where I want to be.

I also played with the lags in the General dialog box, and adjusted the windowed values to see how these affected my MAP, and the throttle response was worsened, when I reduced the % figures, so I increased them. I made the windows the same IIRC at around 45º.

I now have to tweak the Acceleration Wizard graph, so the idle fluctuations don't interfere with the idle running, and I think I need to look at the dialog box settings some more and understand how these work.

I was able to complete the testing without smelling like an exhaust silencer, and so overall the modded exhaust extractor worked very well, but I need to do something about the disconnected & open crankcase breather pipe, as this was a source of fumes when revving the bike. I will be modding the exhaust extractor further still, but this is the current version that allows me to log the exhaust gases, as well as extracting them.

In the picture below, you can see the MicroSquirt, the prototype adaptor loom, and the combined exhaust extractor/wideband sensor diffuser probe.

And a close up

24c
Site Admin

Ignition advance

Postby 24c » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:38 am

I seem to remember trying increased advance sometime ago on the MicroSquirt project, but last night I stumbled on this image again. The lower advance curves are typical, but the top ones seem quite high.

When I was using Speed Density I lowered the total advance, because it seemed to be working better, but I have regularly had sooty plugs when trying to do high speed and acceleration tweaks. One of the reasons for this happening is incomplete burning of the fuel, or too much fuel.

Yesterday, I reduced the required fuel from 1500 rpm upwards (decreased by 11%) and it was noticeably cleaner in a 5th gear roll on the dyno (with no acceleration enhancements!)

Today, I am going to revisit my advance curves and look at emulating the Thunderace profile in the MicroSquirt, to see if this has a positive effect.

FWIW, I think these ignition requirements might explain my modded GTSs running characteristics, as a reduction in airbox restriction & exhaust is comparable to the standard less restricted FZR1000/Thunderace set up.

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:58 pm

Some good news and some not so good that'll make you all smile. Will tell you later.

Andrew Schauer

Postby Andrew Schauer » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:59 pm

How's that for a cliff-hanger? ...sheesh. :D
Andrew Schauer

1993 GTS 1000

24c
Site Admin

Cliffhanger not!

Postby 24c » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:04 pm

I really thought I'd make some progress today, hearing all these success stories using TunerStudio and VElive and I did, that's the good stuff.

I am running Alpha-N and I have been guessing at the fuelling using my previous Speed Density settings. The plugs have been consistently sooty, but I wasn't running anywhere near enough advance, and was carrying too much fuel, as I found out earlier today.

The bike is sounding really crisp now, and pulls strongly in fifth gear on the dyno, so it's time to prepare the bike for the road. I am reducing my WUE values and boosting my ASE at the same time, and this is making the bike quicker to start. Hot starts are taking slightly longer than the OEM ECU, but cold starts rpms are falling and beginning to closely match the standard bike. Idle is stable considering the tired and dirty HT system, and yes I know I should be starting from a good set up, but this is a helpful real world test.

I managed to get VELive to do it's stuff, as I soldered up the additional take outs for the TechEdge 2J1 unit, and fed the WbLin+ into the MicroSquirt. I still have a little noise/oscillation on the WbO2, but not enough to spoil the show, and I also have some coolant fan noise spikes, that affect TPS and the MAP signals, which I spotted on the live datalog!

I also experimented with the acceleration enrichment SD vs TPS settings, and I am quite pleased with the throttle response.

Unfortunately the day was truncated by the death of the dyno extraction system, and I now have to rethink/reposition the extractors. I now appreciate how hot the exhaust gets and no amount of cool air blends it down enough to stop fan destruction, as I thought it might. It doesn't help having a fan blade 2m away from an engine doing 11-12000 rpm and holding it for a 10 seconds or so, while I watch the AFR on the laptop. You don't even notice the smoke creeping up behind you! :D

Good news, I am confident the bike will be OK now to start prepping it for real world tests...I might even get the Thunderace running while I wait for the replacement fans to get here.

24c
Site Admin

Black GTS1000 running MSExtra Alpha-N hybrid

Postby 24c » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:31 pm

i couldn't do anything on the red GTS1000, as the dyno is being tweaked again. I have to chop out some concrete and mod the inlet air duct to take a pusher fan in the floor space underneath the dyno platform. I have ordered a new fan, and I tested the principle with a small extractor fan. It seems to work, and I can add more power/flow later if required. Hindsight is a wonderful thing! :lol:

I drove over to OmegaChassis's house, and fitted the MicroSquirt to the black GTS1000 and it fired, but didn't catch straight away. This WUE/ASE adjustment is a black art, but OC commented it wasn't smelling as rich as before. 8)

We also tweaked his workshop to make space for the Thunderace engined bike, plus he dug out an FZR EXUP exhaust to mod again, although I have a stainless 304 Delkevic Thunderace system lying around to mod also.

The green GTS1000 with the Thunderace engine in, was short of a few parts, as it had been cannibalised (it's been stood three years), however a few tweaks, it now just needs a crank sensor, an oil change and a set of plugs. I have a fuel pump & filter at hand if need be...who knows this'll be running by next weekend too! I also have a battle plan to get it up & running quickly. This bike needs to get up to speed, as OC will be taking it to the Treffen in exhaust, I might even have a stainless replacement exhaust strapped on the back to sell, but the idea is to take to MSExtra GTS1000s over the water...those autobahns are so appealing! :D

I couldn't do it today, as I was working later, and had a car full of cardboard boxes :twisted: :x

PS Got rid of the boxes a few hours later :roll:

Return to “Power and Speed”