Replacement exhaust system

How have you made your GTS go quicker?

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

Flydave
Master Sergeant

Postby Flydave » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi Mike !

Still working on it ? or it's your project dead ? (i hope not)

Dave

24c wrote:Just to let you into a little secret...there will be... I am in discussion with an exhaust manufacturer (have been), about making downpipes (larger), and a series of bends. I have a very good (aircraft) welder near me, and we are going to jig a system up, when the weather gets warmer.
God bless James Parker !
1998 GTS1000A Blue

wheeler
Master Sergeant

Re: New exhaust link

Postby wheeler » Tue May 12, 2009 11:43 am

24c wrote:I was looking for something else and I found this

http://www.bikeparts.jp/yamaha/yamaha-g ... r-0528.asp

Unfortunately, I cannot translate this, but it sure looks good, small jpg below

I checked that option...it is Leo Vince SBK..
But Leo Vince does not make any exhaust for the GTS :( .
On theyr website i can not find exhaust for the GTS....so either theese Japanese guys are geting it done just for them or they just put some picture of complete Leo Vince on theyr site :( .
It would be nice to have such full exhaust though....

rooyenan
Site Admin

Postby rooyenan » Tue May 12, 2009 12:26 pm

Just checked that website, and I'm sorry to have to say there are hardly any parts available for the GTS!!!!
They seem to be there, but a quick (on-line) translation tells it not to be true.. :evil: :evil:

So no exhaust systems, footrests etc....
Just batteries, sparcs, stands, led under bike kits (funnylights)... :?

Sir Avalon
- - - - - - - - - - - -

wheeler
Master Sergeant

Postby wheeler » Tue May 12, 2009 12:32 pm

Yeah...seems to be some gizmo gadget store. Maybe it is more for a Gold Wing riders :lol: ...they like the bling, bling :wink: .
When 3 of them GW riders arriwe at the local bike meeting (by the way they allways arriwe at night), ewery kid says....mommy look santa is comming :P . We call them the Coca Cola train... :twisted: .

Chris Pinard
Sergeant First Class

Postby Chris Pinard » Wed May 13, 2009 5:37 pm

Mike, Count me in for this exh system. If in can be done for under £300 sounds like you could sell loads in the club!! Cheers, Chris

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Wed May 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Chris
No problems, you might be the first guinea pig, you'll have to get a silencer/end can but that'll be the easy bit. I intend to start this when I get back from MotoGP, which will be the second week in June. That's the jig part/ prototype phase, which will match the downpipes + cat "space envelope".
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

24c
Site Admin

New exhaust system

Postby 24c » Mon May 18, 2009 1:54 am

24c wrote: I intend to start this when I get back from MotoGP, ..

Well, so much for that, I've ordered some new bits for the Thunderace engine conversion, and I've started on the exhaust, parts are coming this week. This does mean, I will have a stainless 4-2-1 collector and silencer going to a new home sooner than expected. 8)

Bikesnbones
Private First Class

Postby Bikesnbones » Sun May 31, 2009 7:17 am

24c wrote:
Flydave wrote:...No way to find a slip-on or a complete exhaust for our "old" bikes ? :-(

Just to let you into a little secret...there will be... I am in discussion with an exhaust manufacturer (have been), about making downpipes (larger), and a series of bends. I have a very good (aircraft) welder near me, and we are going to jig a system up, when the weather gets warmer.

I will test it on the dyno, and it must meet or better my reworked Renegade or my DIY FZR special, but the can/silencer will be R1 aftermarket of any type. This means the link pipe will step up/finish to take this can diameter, and I have chosen this one because there are a lot on eBay and lots of different designs to suit all tastes and noise levels.
It will be possible to fit the original silencer with a little work, but most people would welcome a lighter full stainless system AFAIK.

If anybody is interested, please say so, as it will make this happen sooner. As far as cost goes I will be trying to beat the Chinese prices, less than £299 but using better grade materials/design (performance). The exhaust will alllow the fitment of GTS panniers (Krausers) like my blue bike does.

Did anything ever come of this ?

rooyenan
Site Admin

Postby rooyenan » Sun May 31, 2009 10:39 am

Bikesnbones wrote:
24c wrote:
Flydave wrote:...No way to find a slip-on or a complete exhaust for our "old" bikes ? :-(

Just to let you into a little secret...there will be... I am in discussion with an exhaust manufacturer (have been), about making downpipes (larger), and a series of bends. I have a very good (aircraft) welder near me, and we are going to jig a system up, when the weather gets warmer.

I will test it on the dyno, and it must meet or better my reworked Renegade or my DIY FZR special, but the can/silencer will be R1 aftermarket of any type. This means the link pipe will step up/finish to take this can diameter, and I have chosen this one because there are a lot on eBay and lots of different designs to suit all tastes and noise levels.
It will be possible to fit the original silencer with a little work, but most people would welcome a lighter full stainless system AFAIK.

If anybody is interested, please say so, as it will make this happen sooner. As far as cost goes I will be trying to beat the Chinese prices, less than £299 but using better grade materials/design (performance). The exhaust will alllow the fitment of GTS panniers (Krausers) like my blue bike does.

Did anything ever come of this ?

It's a custom not only to POST on a forum, but also READ.
Can't believe you didn't even read the entry above yours... :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll:

Sir Avalon
- - - - - - - - - - - -

chronicent

Postby chronicent » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:31 pm

You might have some luck on Ebay.. but im not sure, even if its available there might be a problem importing to your country. Sometime walking around the some stores, u will be able to find it
Wear Motorbike helmets for safety !!
Weise clothing

heinlein
Sergeant

Re: New exhaust system

Postby heinlein » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:55 pm

24c wrote:I've started on the exhaust, parts are coming this week. This does mean, I will have a stainless 4-2-1 collector and silencer going to a new home sooner than expected. 8)

24c I must say with all the projects you're involved in you have my admiration; it wears me out just thinking about it. You must have an understanding wife or maybe she is glad to get you out from underfoot.:wink:

How do things stand with the exhaust? What is involved with mounting the new exhaust? Will it be possible to get on this side of the pond and if so do you have an idea of what it will cost total price delivered to 95623?

Bob

Daf
Master Sergeant

Postby Daf » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:26 pm

Finished my down pipes yesterday, bought a stainless set for an fzr1000 (non exup) from Sandybike spares, cut and angled the collector pipe to miss the mainstand and added a 45 degree elbow which fits into the stock silencer, stuck the pipes in place with a blob of mig weld then got a tame welder to tig weld it together.
I will make a link pipe for an end can later.

All you need is an angle grinder with the right cutting disc and a gasless mig(hireable). stainless elbows are on ebay, its probably best to combine it with a front suspension overhaul,for easy access as you'll need to try the pipes a few times.

24c
Site Admin

Exhaust resurrected for Easter!

Postby 24c » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:47 pm

24c wrote: I intend to start this when I get back from MotoGP, ....that's the jig part/ prototype phase, which will match the downpipes + cat "space envelope".

The cased MicroSquirt is on hold while I tweak the cam sensor, and I have to sit down and analyse all the loom details again to start the MicroSquirt Module wiring, so Easter is almost upon us, it's time for a resurrection! :roll:

So I dug out the 4-2-1 exhaust for the Thunderace project and started work on this again. Partly because OmegaChassis does not have an exhaust in his Thunderace engined GTS1000 and we need to run this and a cased MicroSquirt (no cam sensor) up to get it running for the 2010 Treffen, but it's really thanks to Marcel for the email, and giving me a kick up the butt. To be fair I have enough distractions and not enough time, probably like all of us really.

This is the easiest way to fit the exhaust if it has fixed headers, like an FZR EXUP etc. I have to get the spare cylinder head and make a jig now, but I am only a few hours away from getting the Thunderace exhaust project completed. Unfortunately I have to go to work, otherwise it'd be a wrap tonight. :cry:

I will use this info to make the replacement, I still intend to beat the cheapo Chinese products out there, but also use quality stainless 316 or A4 and proper welding.

heinlein
Sergeant

Postby heinlein » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:59 pm

You need a twin brother to work on the MicroSquirt while you work on this.

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:11 pm

One of me is enough! :twisted: :lol:

The exhaust will be tack welded for the Thunderace tomorrow. I will get it welded proper Tuesday, by then the replacement gear lever linkages will be done 8)

Return to “Power and Speed”