Let me introduce myself

daithespy

Let me introduce myself

Postby daithespy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:59 pm

Hi, my name's Dai, and I've just purchased a 1994 European-spec, non-ABS GTS1000 on eBay. I haven't even seen it in the flesh yet; it will be delivered to my address in Scotland sometime in the next fortnight. The bike looks scruffy, has a slight misfire at around 2500-3000 rpm, and needs tlc, but I'm confident that with the collective knowledge of this forum, and my skills (I'm an electronics technician, and submersible engineer), we can get the bike going well.
The GTS1000 has been one of my top five dream bikes for a long time, so having the opportunity to buy one at a price I could afford was an opportunity not to be missed. I'm a little concerned about the weight of the bike. I'm only 5'6", with an inside leg of 30". I found the ST1100 too cumbersome for me, but I think the GTS wears its weight lower down. I had no trouble with a 1979 Honda CB750KZ, and my other current bikes are a Yamaha Diversion 600, a Suzuki400 Bandit, and a 1976 BMW R75/6. I'll just have to wait and see if I can get on with this bike. I hope I can!

isle of wight
Private First Class

Re: Let me introduce myself

Postby isle of wight » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi Dai,

Where did you find it? I too have dreamt of owning a GTS and only recently picked one up. First thing I noticed was how bloody heavy it was!!! However that weight doesn't seem to transfer itself to the road. After my first nervous couple of miles it was fine.
May the 16th shall now be known as GTS day

daithespy

Postby daithespy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:54 am

It was an eBay purchase. The bike sat there at £1000 with no bids for 7 days, so in the last couple of hours I placed a bid, and won it for £1040! It's not perfect, but it does run, it has an MoT, and it's complete. That's good enough for me!

isle of wight
Private First Class

Postby isle of wight » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:15 pm

Nice that's the grey/Blue one. Have fun with it.
May the 16th shall now be known as GTS day

daithespy

Postby daithespy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:29 pm

Yes, it's actually mostly in primer. I finally managed to have a good look at it (and brief ride) today. The bike will need a lot of fettling. The exhaust is blowing somewhere (and that's probably the cause of the slight misfire at 2500 rpm), although the silencer looks to be in good shape. The front wheel hubcap is missing, the clock is unreadable, there is a fair amount of corrosion on the nuts/bolts/fittings, the mirrors have been put on using 3-inch bolts to hold them further out from the fairing, and it looks naff....and the ride was quite disconcerting! It wants to topple into slow corners, which I really don't like, but there is plenty of power there. I cannot get it onto the main stand, because the spigot has broken off the stand, and I'm simply not heavy or strong enough to lift it onto the main stand. The (enormous) rear tyre has had it, so that's going to cost at least £100 to replace. The chain is also knackered, so in the fullness of time I will be replacing the chain and sprockets. I'm not sure I'll be able to use this bike as my "daily rider", because it is simply massive. It weighs a ton, and that's not helped by the fairly low bars when manoeuvring it around the garage, etc. The reason I bought it, is because I have always wanted one. It caught my imagination when it was first introduced, with the amazing front end. Despite this particular bike's shortcomings, I'm really excited about owning it, and I'm looking forward to pulling it to bits, sorting it out, and giving it a new lease of life. This won't happen overnight, because I have other commitments and projects, but it will be in the back of my garage when I finally find the time to get the project started.

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:52 pm

Hi Dai

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the GTS purchase.

To give you some idea of what you may have let yourself in for see my blog viewtopic.php?f=55&t=3327

Return to “About you”