Returning GTS owner

devonrider
Sergeant First Class

Returning GTS owner

Postby devonrider » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:40 pm

I was back in 1995 that I bought my first GTS.
A green one, second hand from Wheels international in London.
It wasn't till about a year later, when I changed it for a ZZR1100, that I fully appreciated what a great bike the GTS was.
The ZZR, whilst certainly fast, could not hold a candle to it, so a year later, I bought a brand new GTS from Garrozo bikes in Kent.
It was the last officially imported bike left in the UK, and by then the price was cheap.
I kept it for 4 years, and did about 30,000 miles.
I sold it, and regretted that decision straight away.
But I moved on as you do.
The GTS has always been in the back of my mind, and recently, out of the blue, one turned up for sale in a dealers about 2 hours away.
It looked a bit tired and neglected, but I could see that a very decent bike was waiting to be released form all the crud and dirt.
Luckily, it didn't look like it had seen much, if any winter use.
No corrosion.
Even the wheels retained their original finish.
So I set to work stripping it back to give it a much needed de gunk.
The only thing I have yet to do is remove the headers so I can give the front of the engine some TLC, but I'm just a bit concerned about the collector, which I understand is a weak spot.
I'm so pleased with the way she turned out.
It's still the great bike I remember.

Pachi
Sergeant Major

Re: Returning GTS owner

Postby Pachi » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:11 pm

Congratulations!

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:09 am

Excellent job. Looks lovely and, of course, it's the best colour!

shadowstrat

Postby shadowstrat » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:01 pm

Wow, this is some kind of clean one :)... I agree with the colour taste ;)
If in doubt, flat out!

Arno
Staff Sergeant

Postby Arno » Sun May 01, 2016 8:13 am

Well done, looks great. If you have problems with the collector, have a look in the german forum http://www.razyboard.com/system/morethr ... 868-0.html. There is a adress of a dutch worker, he can repair the collector. He makes a very fine work.

devonrider
Sergeant First Class

Postby devonrider » Mon May 02, 2016 5:38 pm

Yes, I am concerned about the collector, as I understand the joints to the headers are mild steel and can corrode.
I tried to register on the German forum, but found it impossible.

rmsppu
Private

Postby rmsppu » Mon May 09, 2016 6:59 am

devonrider wrote:Yes, I am concerned about the collector, as I understand the joints to the headers are mild steel and can corrode.

Yes. However...it's not that difficult to have the rusted bits cut away and new connecting tubes welded on -- in fact, it's much better to do that before the short connecting pipe are really damaged. I had just that repair done on GTS^1 -- it was less than $200 to have 4 stainless steel tubes welded on, with a slot/keyhole cut in each so that they'll compress correctly when clamped to the headers.

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Mon May 09, 2016 8:32 am

I did that years ago. It's certainly a simple enough job. Bought a 6m length of stainless tube for about £30, cut sections of the correct length, ground off the old inlets to the collector, and welded the new ones on. Once the collector is off, it'll take you about 1-2 hours to do the work and is certainly a very cheap way of doing it.

stephenGTSglasgow
Sergeant

Postby stephenGTSglasgow » Sun May 15, 2016 10:46 pm

I replaced the mild steel stubs on mine last year for SS. Got the ss stubs on ebay for a couple of quid each, chopped the collector back myself, and had my local fabricator weld it up for me. I found the clamps/clips that compress the stubs onto the down pipe were rotted to the stubs and tore through the rotted stubs when I tried to release them. Biggest cost was the four clips, collector to down pipe gaskets, much more expensive than I expected them to be but cant remember exactly how much. Biggest worry was potentially damaging the sensor as I couldn't get it off, however no damage occurred.

OmegaChassis
Sergeant Major

Postby OmegaChassis » Thu May 19, 2016 9:25 am

I have found that not just stubs are made of mild steel but also the mounting brackets which are welded to the main body
these also have tendency to rot as well. Have a nice collection of cats all in need of repair, really need to make a jig to repair
them properly.
I love the summer, it is my favourite day of the year!

Return to “About you”