Starting full rebuild of a 93 GTS1000

This where you can add a special bike project based on a GTS1000 rolling chassis.
lewisjjp
Staff Sergeant

Re: Starting full rebuild of a 93 GTS1000

Postby lewisjjp » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:13 pm

Generally I find replacement of the 4 spouts with s/s and cut open the cat to remove the innards and weld it back up. Downpipes I find are always ok although flanges are replaceable with s/s. Depends how much money you spend, any manufacturer will make you a s/s system to your spec at a price.

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:48 pm

Got the dismantled front hub back today, but unfortunately one of the bearings has broken up during pressing out the shaft. Like everything on the GTS they seem to be odd ball :( .

They are shielded deep groove ball bearings 30(int) x62(Ext)x22(wide), plenty of 20 and 24mm available on the web but no 22mm by the look of it. I suppose I could get 4mm machined off the 2 spacers that go between the 2 bearings, but does anyone know of a source of the 22mm width ones.

I have also now got the dimensions for the tool for pressing the shaft out.

Anybody fancy making one?

lewisjjp
Staff Sergeant

Postby lewisjjp » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:53 pm

Looks likely, might need a few more measurements. The diameter of the 2 collar either side of the main thread and the width of the thread and the 2 collars. Odd ball bearing are a typical Yamaha trait. eg rear wheel mid bearing on XJ900F. No replacement available for that either. LOL you can still buy the GTS bearings as a set from Yamaha I see but there is a drawback .......£270 plus VAT not very palatable. I would go with the 24mm bearing at £20 each and shorten the spacer for a few buttons. Total £40 and a few buttons, saving ... well a lot of money. Common Yamaha get your act together!!! No need for robbery.

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:22 am

The drawing of the tool is as I received from the guy that drew it. I have asked for the extra dims, so might hear by next week sometime.
Yes I was probably going to go for the 24mm wide and reduce the spacers but I am being quoted £35 per bearing both locally and on simply bearings.co.uk and the latter ones don't look right, the original ones are metal shielded, not plastic as on the simplybearings site.

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:48 am

Been on to various bearing suppliers and I suspect the 24mm wide one sourced locally is a double row bearing, not single row as in the 22mm so I aren't sure if that can work. I have been in touch with Helmut Collett in Germany to see if he can help and I am awaiting reply.

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:37 am

Well I have now tried all the sources I can think of on the internet including GTS1000 clubs in Japan and Germany, got a blank with trying to find a USA club, but all have said no chance for the bearing for the front arm. Tried all the bearing companies (China might be a source but only if I "bulk" buy") and have also written to Yamaha UK, awaiting a reply from them. My only chance of a replacement seems to be the 24mm wide double row, which in theory should be even better as it allows axial loads of up to 30 degrees. Why on earth would Yamaha us a none standard bearing, unless they never intended the GTS to be a big seller and got the 22mm bearing at an end of line cut price rate :evil: . It doesn't do too much for Yamaha's image :oops: when what was supposed to be an iconic "step up" in motorcycling fails because you can't get a simple bearing :doh: .

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:56 am

Lewis, you said the bearing was still available, but at a silly price, who was that through as I can't find it listed anywhere as available, prices are quoted, but say "Obsolete" or "Not available".

lewisjjp
Staff Sergeant

Postby lewisjjp » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:42 pm

Try Fowlers. You may have to order from Japan on a non refundable basis but not a route i would go for bearings as I have always found an answer to a manufacturing problem.

https://www.123bearing.eu/bearing-543806-FAG.php

I have found bearings and as you say you can source in china as they will make you a bearing to any size.

lewisjjp
Staff Sergeant

Postby lewisjjp » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:44 pm

Also try this

http://www.tradebearings.com/bmb-6079-a ... 59425.html

I know they are not exact width

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:58 pm

I had looked at this one, but couldn't find a full spec, but I think it may be fibre reinforced polyamide shield rather than a metal shield, don't know the implications of the difference?

lewisjjp wrote:Try Fowlers. You may have to order from Japan on a non refundable basis but not a route i would go for bearings as I have always found an answer to a manufacturing problem.

https://www.123bearing.eu/bearing-543806-FAG.php

I have found bearings and as you say you can source in china as they will make you a bearing to any size.

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:02 pm

I have seen several of these by different manufacturers and they seem to be sensor bearings with a built in sensor of some type, if you look at the illustration you can see the cable curled around the bearing.

lewisjjp wrote:Also try this
http://www.tradebearings.com/bmb-6079-a ... 59425.html
I know they are not exact width

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi Lewis, I have been on to Fowlers, they say "No Chance", even though they list it as back order, they recommended CMSNL.com and they also say "No Chance".

lewisjjp
Staff Sergeant

Postby lewisjjp » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:45 pm

Really, looks like the 24mm are the ones to go with in my opinion, I have seen them at about £20 and modify the spacer, easy job.
To be honest I have enquired at Fowlers before and told the same but simply ordered online and they came some months later.
The 24mm is an easy solution to this in my opinion and by far the cheapest.
Its the route I will be taking on my next build.

lewisjjp
Staff Sergeant

Postby lewisjjp » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:39 pm

Had a look at this on a spare front end I have tonight. Omg is my first opinion of this, Yamaha have made this extremely complicated. The special 2 part tool above is only part of the special tools required, in total there are 7 bits to it. So I have none of the special tools and managed to get as far as having the sensor rotor removed. I will have a look at removing the wheel axle tomorrow. Yamaha could easily have designed this to be removed without any special tools but then I suppose they would not sell any of the special tools at £360 a throw.

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:12 am

With you saying "sensor rotor" I assume that the arm you are "investigating" is an ABS front end, mine is non ABS, don't know if that makes much difference, but as far as I know the guy taking mine apart only used the tool in the photo.

Return to “Projects”