Starting full rebuild of a 93 GTS1000

This where you can add a special bike project based on a GTS1000 rolling chassis.
jorojin
Master Sergeant

Re: Starting full rebuild of a 93 GTS1000

Postby jorojin » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:21 pm

Have done an experimental clean up and "lapping in" of the valves, will do the rest after I have a go at polishing the inlet ports. The valves all look ok, but the exhaust valve had a bit of crud on them which I have cleaned off with a buffing wheel and then had a go at lapping the valves in with a sucker mounted on a wooden shaft, sounds simple, but for some reason the sucker (and I called a it a few things worse than "sucker") wouldn't stay fastened to the valve face. I reckon it is because there is a dimple on the face and a small "pimple" in the casting on the face of the valve. After a bit of aggro and refixing the sucker 20 times the result is as below. Clean shoulders and even mating face on valve.

and the seat has a nice even face showing with no pitting.

Only another 19 to go :)

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:24 pm

Still haven't worked out how to get the front drive shaft out of the bottom of the front arm, I have had thoughts along the lines of making up some sort of slide hammer arrangement. Any body got the correct tool out there or built a tool to do the job? :-?

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:27 pm

Finally found someone with access to one of the Yamaha special tools, can't divulge who he is as he is doing it as a favour with the tool borrowed from work. I hope to start putting the valves back in over the weekend and the head back on the engine to avoid the usual Xmas depression :clap: Might even get a few beers in with my son, who is home for the holiday break. :cheers:

Been down to Yambits in Boroughbridge this morning to get a top end gasket set, clutch friction plates and a few small parts. They seen to have a good stock of the usual everyday parts and will check for compatibility if a part isn't specifically listed as available for the GTS. :D

raffys5/6
Private

Postby raffys5/6 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:42 am

A great rebuild, I am enjoying following it. Bike would look good Matt gray or black and maybe chrome or gold anodized rims!!

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:40 pm

Hi raffys, I have to admit I had thought of a black finish, but with a metal flake in it. One of my sons was home over xmas and we sat around sampling a few beers and trying to come up with a colour scheme and had an idea the purists will scream at. :x My son won a Yamaha competition in 2015 to go with his girlfriend to the Valencia Moto GP, all flights and expenses paid, and he got my Rossi AGV 5 continents helmet signed by the man himself. We wondered what the bike would look like with a similar colour scheme to that in the second photo to break up the bulk of the bike.

Only partly kidding, :clap: but the mid blue that goes through the helmet in the second photo has a small sparkle to it and It is very near the Yamaha MotoGP colour, so might do that colour. I would probably powder coat the calipers the same blue.

devonrider
Sergeant First Class

Postby devonrider » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:14 pm

raffys5/6 wrote:A great rebuild, I am enjoying following it. Bike would look good Matt gray or black and maybe chrome or gold anodized rims!!

Totally agree.
Big sports tourers should be classy and understated.
Personally, if I were going this far, I'd have the frame and swingarms done in satin black, like this guys done, albeit with a VFR back end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjf76Pg4otg

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:26 pm

Looks good :D . Any body know who the owner is, I would like to ask him a couple of question (downpipes, clocks, etc).

rooyenan
Site Admin

Postby rooyenan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:35 pm

jorojin wrote:Looks good :D . Any body know who the owner is, I would like to ask him a couple of question (downpipes, clocks, etc).

It’s a guy in Holland.
Check out his website: www.yellowrider.nl
- - - - - - - - - - - -

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:50 pm

Just heard that the front arm is ready for me to pick up tomorrow from the guy taking out the shaft. There was a garbled message about careful with the ball bearing as they are loose not caged, hope I haven't made the wrong decision here :? . But the guy says he knows someone who might be willing to make the tool for pressing out the shaft, so I have asked him to get a price. Is anyone else interested in one? (lewisjjp??)

The gasket set that I got from Yambits seems to be the wrong one. The intermediate gasket between the lower head and the cam box base had one of the cam chain channels 10mm too long and the actual head gasket needs 2 of the holes for head bolts to be 14mm not 12.5 mm like the others to accommodate the dowels that accurately locate the head. Yambits have queried this with the manufacturer and have offered me a free goodwill replacement with an Athena set that seems to have the right dimensions.

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:06 pm

devonrider wrote:Totally agree.
Big sports tourers should be classy and understated.
Personally, if I were going this far, I'd have the frame and swingarms done in satin black, like this guys done, albeit with a VFR back end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjf76Pg4otg

As stated in one of my previous posts my son is an expert on SSAs http://www.customfighters.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=65092 and I have thought about it, but I have seen so many people give up with half finished conversions of both the front with VFR400 wheels and VFR800 back ends that I can't see me having the technical knowledge or tooling to get it done, but it looks great. :doh:

Does anyone know what downpipes I can use to do away with the CAT collector box and get a decent can on the end of it. I have again seen some horrible mash ups that look even worse than the OEM setup when finished.

devonrider
Sergeant First Class

Postby devonrider » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:30 pm

jorojin wrote:Does anyone know what downpipes I can use to do away with the CAT collector box and get a decent can on the end of it. I have again seen some horrible mash ups that look even worse than the OEM setup when finished.

This guy's done a decent job, but I haven't found any way of contacting him.
If you do, please let me know
:(
http://www.sidecarmaniac.nl/mygts7.html

devonrider
Sergeant First Class

Postby devonrider » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:39 pm

And here's another interesting link.
I did get in touch with this guy, but he sent me a rather abrupt email back saying that he has a lot of projects and has put this one on hold.
That was it
http://www.mjscrane.com/GTS1000/

rooyenan
Site Admin

Postby rooyenan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:31 pm

devonrider wrote:And here's another interesting link.
I did get in touch with this guy, but he sent me a rather abrupt email back saying that he has a lot of projects and has put this one on hold.
That was it
http://www.mjscrane.com/GTS1000/

Mister Crane is known on this forum as 24c :whistle: :whistle:
And indeed very busy with several other projects. :doh: :doh:
- - - - - - - - - - - -

rooyenan
Site Admin

Postby rooyenan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:46 pm

devonrider wrote:
jorojin wrote:Does anyone know what downpipes I can use to do away with the CAT collector box and get a decent can on the end of it. I have again seen some horrible mash ups that look even worse than the OEM setup when finished.

This guy's done a decent job, but I haven't found any way of contacting him.
If you do, please let me know
:(
http://www.sidecarmaniac.nl/mygts7.html

His name is John and known on the forum as Sidecarmaniac. You can always try to send him an email or Personal Message :whistle:
- - - - - - - - - - - -

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:46 pm

Sidecarmaniac used Renegade exhausts for his system but it appears that they have gone out of business unless someone can tell me otherwise. I have been in touch with Blackwidow exhausts http://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/ and they have said that several GTS people have used their FZR1000 EXUP downpipes and have supplied details of what needs to be modified to make them fit the GTS, has anyone used them?

Return to “Projects”