Starting full rebuild of a 93 GTS1000

This where you can add a special bike project based on a GTS1000 rolling chassis.
jorojin
Sergeant First Class

Starting full rebuild of a 93 GTS1000

Postby jorojin » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi everybody. Can someone help me with images, I don't think what I have submitted shows the images that I thought would show.

I have owned my GTS1000 since mid 2015 and it has sat in my garage waiting for me to decide what I am going to do with it and then working out if I have enough cash to do it (I am 70 and retired). Choices are fix so that it is rideable, but looking at it there seems to be a bit of wear and tear (broken mirrors, indicators, chain and sprockets need changing) and although the clock says 34k km I think it has been around the clock at least once hence probably 134k km. Or do a chop on it and make it into a street fighter, my son is into fighters and has been runner up in the annual Custom Fighter forum and is a Fighter of the month winner with a customised VTR1000, which now runs VFR800SSA, but with Triumph 5 spoke wheels and modified axle and brake parts, Triumph subframe, GSX front forks, Brembos, in all parts from 8 different makes and 12 models incorporated. Just to prove it isn't just a show bike he has ridden in from the UK to Morocco and back last year. Or do a full strip down, including engine, and build it back with a few modern tweaks into an "improved" GTS1000.
I have now decided on the latter and it is now stripped down to 5 big boxes of parts, an engine and a bare frame.

Here is the original bike, looks quite pristine on the outside, but once you get under the covers there is a different story.

I have an original Yamaha workshop manual for the bike and followed the instructions for getting the engine out of the frame by taking off the top and bottom RHS parts of the frame. I followed the instructions to the letter for each bolt to take out and then it says "Remove engine"!!!! There it was hanging from my roof mounted hoist and refusing to go nose up to get it the right angle to come through the gap in the frame, b0**%cks the instructions don't mention that there is a plate bolted to the underside rear of the gearbox that wasn't allowing the rear to go down and also you don't have to only take off the oil filter to miss the front crossbar, but you also have to take off the oil filter boss!!!

Finally the engine out of the frame sat on my nice new stand waiting for me to get up the courage to open it and see what needs doing including the 2 broken off exhaust studs.

Now to tackle the front end!!
Last edited by jorojin on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rooyenan
Site Admin

Re: Starting full rebuild of a 93 GTS1000

Postby rooyenan » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:36 pm

Next time You’ll have to do some manual (small) changes:

The normal link looks like: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r562je2naoj38 ... a.jpg?dl=0
Change the dl=0 at the end to raw=1
Put the link between the img tags and You’re all done!

Sir Avalon
- - - - - - - - - - - -

jorojin
Sergeant First Class

Postby jorojin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:40 pm

Thanks.

Got a bit further, front end fully stripped now. Some of the bearings seem ok, but the upper ball joint seems a bit loose. Has anyone got a list or database of the full list of compatible bearings and ball joints as I hear that many are now no longer available from Yamaha and the ones that are available from Yam are a rip off price.

I am also as part of the rebuild going to put up to date shocks on front and back, has anyone any opinions of the choice between Wilbers and Hagon models?

jorojin
Sergeant First Class

Postby jorojin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:59 am

Just had a look at the spherical bearing on the LHS of the upper front wishbone and it is well gone, looks as if it hasn't been greased for the last 10 years, has anyone found an industrial bearing that replaces it?
Last edited by jorojin on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

devonrider
Sergeant First Class

Postby devonrider » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:41 pm

It's a very quiet forum this, so don't be disheartened by the lack of activity on this thread.
Guaranteed there are a few of us who would be greatly interested in your progress, especially in relation to sourcing of front end parts.
This thread could become a valuable resource, so please once again, keep posting.
The burning question that I, and I'm sure others are dying to know the answer too, is how is the front disc holding out after that sort of mileage.
:D

lewisjjp
Sergeant

Postby lewisjjp » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:51 pm

Check Fowlers for on-line parts availability, they show both upper bearing available but at quite different prices! I have never found these worn out myself but other bearing I always find on bearing sites as they are always cheaper than Yamaha prices. Ofcourse you can never guess what Yamaha prices will be.

jorojin
Sergeant First Class

Postby jorojin » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:46 pm

devonrider wrote:It's a very quiet forum this, so don't be disheartened by the lack of activity on this thread.
Guaranteed there are a few of us who would be greatly interested in your progress, especially in relation to sourcing of front end parts.
This thread could become a valuable resource, so please once again, keep posting.
The burning question that I, and I'm sure others are dying to know the answer too, is how is the front disc holding out after that sort of mileage.
:D

I had noticed that it was some time between people posting questions and getting replies.

As for the front disc, it is in marvellous shape. I think the bike was doing lots of motorway miles so the front disc is fine except for a small lip. The reason for assuming it had been a motorway bike was that the rear tyre was completely flattened off in the centre 3rd with practically no wear on the sides. I have been in touch with the previous owner and he thinks I will be the 4th owner. As for the spherical bearing I will post a photo tomorrow if I can and it just happened that someone was advertising 2 on ebay last week so I bought one, I still can't work out why it needed to be a spherical bearing rather than roller like the other side, because the actual movement in the bearing would be negligible?

jorojin
Sergeant First Class

Postby jorojin » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:59 pm

My son, out of the kindness of his heart compiled a complete list of SSAs for the Custom fighter forum from the various makes and models that used them, Honda, Triumph, Ducati, etc complete with all the relevant dimensions http://www.customfighters.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=65092 . It would be a nice little task if someone did the same for the parts and bearings for the GTS that are no longer available and the compatible alternatives, has anyone ever done it either on this forum or the German, American or other forums. For instance what is compatible from the FZR range, or what are the industrial bearing and seals that would fit the GTS as alternatives to the automotive bearings? Has it been done?

jorojin
Sergeant First Class

Postby jorojin » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:25 pm

jorojin wrote:Just had a look at the spherical bearing on the LHS of the upper front wishbone and it is well gone, looks as it it hasn't been greased for the last 10 years, has anyone found an industrial bearing that replaces it?

Found an equivalent to the spherical bearing that is in the LHS of the upper front wishbone (Yam part No.933999990100) , it is an AllBalls part No. 40-5010 spherical. The only difference seems to be the "grease groove" around the middle, but packing with a good grease should suffice.

Looking to source other bearings.

devonrider
Sergeant First Class

Postby devonrider » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:20 pm

Great thread.
Tell me, how are your upper / lower ball joints looking.
I reckon these could be our Achilles heel
:(

mike1967

Postby mike1967 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:24 pm

Wemoto have an equivalent spherical bearing with a grease groove for £20.44.
http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/al-40-5010/

lewisjjp
Sergeant

Postby lewisjjp » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:35 am

You will find all the bearings and seals on companies such as Simplybearings.co.uk or lancashireseals.co.uk you do not need to pay Yamaha prices for these as they are not manufactured by Yamaha. A notable cost saving is on the swinging arm needle bearings. I can say that you can never predict what Yamaha charges for any of it's parts nor indeed if it is deleted from availability.

Searcher
Corporal

Postby Searcher » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:49 pm

Are you going to check the shims with the engine out ?
Would be interesting to know if they're out.
I bet they've never been done.

jorojin
Sergeant First Class

Postby jorojin » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:42 pm

I will be putting quite a few post up over the next couple of days, including a photoshopped proposal from my son for a Yamaha Speedblock colour scheme for the bike.
The ball joints seem ok with no play that I can feel. I presume they are no longer available are there any alternatives if I decide to change them?

devonrider wrote:Great thread.
Tell me, how are your upper / lower ball joints looking.
I reckon these could be our Achilles heel
:(

jorojin
Sergeant First Class

Postby jorojin » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:50 pm

The engine is now stripped down to head off and I will be posting photos of the beautiful 20 valve head. Going to give it a good polish and valve regrind, polish the inlet and exhaust tracts, I have got new valve stem seals and hope that is the only things that is needed. I have made myself a nice box with 20 compartments to make sure all the parts go back with the right valve. I didn't check the cam / valve bucket clearances before taking the head off as they are all going to change with new gaskets etc.

Searcher wrote:Are you going to check the shims with the engine out ?
Would be interesting to know if they're out.
I bet they've never been done.

Return to “Projects”