Single side rear end

This where you can add a special bike project based on a GTS1000 rolling chassis.
Uncletig
Staff Sergeant

Single side rear end

Postby Uncletig » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:16 pm

I think I've read through most of the posts on the site but as yet haven't found the answer to the following....

Which other bike with a single sided rear end would fit the GTS?
There are pics and comments on here that show a Honda VFR back end fitment. Is this a particular year/model? And does the swinging arm fit straight in?
I'm musing at the moment as a 1994 VFR back end is up for grabs and I love the idea.

Your knowledge and advice is much appreciated.

bimota
First Sergeant

Postby bimota » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:25 pm

Hi Mark,

I know off 2 that have done vfr conversions one was S BEACHILL and i think BRIAN STEERS, did the other one.

s beachill,s IS IN THE PROJECTS forum

ROB

bimota
First Sergeant

Postby bimota » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:27 pm

It,s called starting a project it was great we all followed it for months.

Rob

StJean
Sergeant Major

Postby StJean » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:10 am

In fact, none fill fit... without serious knowledge.
But nearly every swing arm will fit if you know how to mod them.
VFR are the easiest ones to find, that's why you'll see it on most swing arm mods.
If a man says he will fix it, he will !
There's no need to remind him every six months about it.

Uncletig
Staff Sergeant

Postby Uncletig » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:29 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'm still considering it as a winter project.

Last night I read through the whole sbeachill project post. It was like reading a great book, but with a slightly sad ending...maybe the new owner will finish the project? But will he complete the SSSA part?

Of course completing a SSSA transplant is a technical challenge and I'd really like to hear about details of others attempts, don't want to waste my time up the wrong alley, and especially hear about the successes.

Thanks

Brian Steers
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Brian Steers » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi there.

I did the other, earlier VFR750 back-end swap, and it was a whole lot of work, for no real benefit, apart from the fact that I like the way it looks. I gave quite a full description of what was involved on this forum a couple of years ago, but I can't remember what the title was, so you will just have to search the old entries.

S Beachill's attempt looked a bit easier, or at least involved less engineering, than mine did, so I think the back-end he used is more suitable than the VFR750 I had. As a matter of interest, I believe all VFR750 and 800 (without ABS) sssa are the same fitment, but I could be wrong.

Brian

Uncletig
Staff Sergeant

Postby Uncletig » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:22 pm

Thanks Brian,
I'm not interested in any performance gain, but like you, love the look of single sided at both ends. Single sided does it for me. That's why I bought the GTS.

I'll certainly be delving into the archives to find your posts. Anybody else reading this that can help me find them?

I'm keen to get a jump start on such a project so I don't waste my money getting the wrong 'starter kit'.

I made a very low offer yesterday on a 1994 VFR 750 entire back end, haven't had a reply....probably 'cos my offer was a teeny bit insulting. But hey, I'm not going to pay proper money until I'm sure what to buy.

Brian Steers
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Brian Steers » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:03 pm

Here are the details I put up, many years ago.

As to mods to my bike. The biggest job, so far, has been to fit a Honda VFR750 back end to the GTS, for no better reason that I wanted a swing-arm front and rear, as part of the bigger plan (more later). After acquiring a complete VFR swing arm, wheel, brakes, and linkage package, I took the bike to my friendly custom bike shop (Sooty Customs, near Milton Keynes), where I stripped the back of the bike out. The new swing arm went almost straight in. Sooty turned up a couple of top-hat spacers and it was perfect, almost. Because of the shape of the VFR swingarm, the damper unit is offset from the centre line of the bike, so I had to strip off the rest off the back end to cut off the top suspension mounts and get new ones welded on. It sounds so easy saying it, but that was the start of the problems. Once that was done, things were reassembled, and the damper fitted. Not so fast, chum. The damper now fouled the swingarm, so that had to be removed, again, and the hole enlarged and strengthened. So, months later, it all goes back together, everything looks good, the chain run is correct, the adjustable linkages allow me to alter the rear ride height and steering angle (to no great benefit, though), now I just have to refit the rear subframe supports and bodywork. Nope, the swingarm fouls the l/hand bracket. Make up new subframe struts (lighter and neater than the standard alloy castings) and at last it is back on the road, only, without the centre stand, which can be a chore.

I didn't mention at the time that I had to get a lump of alloy machined and welded to the underside of the VFR swingarm, as the bottom linkage mount was also offset, and that cutting out and enlarging the hole for the damper to pass through turned out to be a bit of a big-job too!

Biggles

Uncletig
Staff Sergeant

Postby Uncletig » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:06 pm

Brian, that's a great summary - thanks.

Since my last post I did find all the previous SSSA posts. And after finding out that altering the frames suspension mount and rear subframe was necessary I've postponed the conversion. I don't won't to alter the bikes originality for ever.

I do have the mechanical and machining skills for such a project, but if ever I can find the money, I may approach Steve Taylor to do the job. I've got one of his fine pieces of art on the back of my Vmax....Sweet.

So rarely are threads completed that I thought I would sign off this one. Thanks for the advice and look forward to your help with other (more simple) questions I have.

Mark

Chris
Sergeant Major

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:50 am

Hi Guys,

On the german GTS site one of my friends posted this link.

it is the best looking rear wheel mod i've seen....

The rear wheel looks like a widened front wheel..

look here
Cheers,
Chris

Those you can't impress with knowledge, confuse with nonsense... :wtf:
"Limited edition" Black, 150.000Km

Brian Steers
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Brian Steers » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:00 am

Thanks for that Chris. It is something I didn't think about. My black bike has been stalled for a while now, whilst I try and find a matching pair of wheels. I know that some car wheels will fit the VFR back end, but are all far too wide for the front. I never considered widening the front though.

Anyone got a spare front wheel, please?

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:05 pm

Uncletig wrote:...Since my last post I did find all the previous SSSA posts. And after finding out that altering the frames suspension mount and rear subframe was necessary I've postponed the conversion. I don't won't to alter the bikes originality for ever.

I do have the mechanical and machining skills for such a project, but if ever I can find the money, I may approach Steve Taylor to do the job.

I wouldn't give up so easily Mark, I have a r6 single sided arm that uses a Ducati hub, that requires minimal machining to fit. The arm new is about £400, as a bare aluminium lump, and takes a 916 hugger, rear brake too. You can get a Ducati hub, would need to either change the front sprocket for a 520, or get a special stealth type rear one made in a 530/532 etc.

Not started it yet, but that can use any 916 SSSA wheels, and to be honest Marvics too. I was looking at getting a special wheel made aka Blackstones in South Africa, but I have to say that the German guy beat me in the lateral thinking stakes. Hats off to using a front wheel centre & spokes on the rear, for an original GTS look, good find Chris's friend, and €4,200 isn't too bad for a bike that's been converted either.

Having said that, I like my Dymag rear wheel, because it is lighter, and would seriously consider getting a special front wheel made, as the bikes look so much better when the wheels match.

Good luck
Mike

PS Happy New Year to those that need it!
PPS Brian front wheels are hard to come by, good luck with that too.
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

Return to “Projects”