Starting a project :)

This where you can add a special bike project based on a GTS1000 rolling chassis.
SBeachill
Master Sergeant

Postby SBeachill » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:14 am

Progress is slow at the moment and unfortunately have put the bike back to stock swingarm (for now) sorting the linkage was being a headache and taking up too much time to try and sort, upside is I now have an ohlins shock for the rear to use with the stock set up :) did some drastic trimming on a stock front mudguard to see if I could utilise it rather than start from scratch :)

Before:

After:

Or I did start this one from an old carbon guard I had lying about??

Steve

StJean
Sergeant Major

Postby StJean » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:27 am

Why not something like that ?
(based on original)
If a man says he will fix it, he will !
There's no need to remind him every six months about it.

Chris
Sergeant Major

Postby Chris » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:44 pm

Great job Steve,

it looks brilliant!

I really hope you get the SSSA issues sorted this project really diserves a SSSA.

I have to say that i am very partial to the modified original mudguard.
If it is well trimmed, it will look brilliant.

The Carbon guard is a little too stubby for my liking, and I don't like the look of the exposed upper aluminium bit...

Anyway, keep up the good work and keep posting updates, I will keep reading..... :clap:
Cheers,
Chris

Those you can't impress with knowledge, confuse with nonsense... :wtf:
"Limited edition" Black, 150.000Km

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:32 pm

I'd be tempted to use the original, cut it like you have done, and maybe look at a colour break. I'm with Chris in that the upright leg, doesn't look very nice and detracts from the front swinging arm. Cutting the mudgaurd to hide the leg looks better for me.

Note, the front swinging arm and belly pan contributed to the aerodynamics of the original, and also influenced the later Thunderace fairing, which surprisingly has a lowish Cx figure too.

PS That Spanish mudguard relies on a blacked out upright to visually lift it, as yours is aluminium, I wouldn't go that way.
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

SBeachill
Master Sergeant

Postby SBeachill » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Some pics with the bellypan on :)

Steve

Pachi
Sergeant Major

Postby Pachi » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:05 pm

That´s top quality job!.

Unlike Chris and Mike, I like the upper arm as it gives the bike a somewhat alien look, but I like much more that trimming to the mudguard. Beautifully done with a fantastic design.

Congrats, Steve. It´s turning out great.

SBeachill
Master Sergeant

Postby SBeachill » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:06 pm

Thanks Pachi :)

No new updates as yet guys I've been working hard getting my Blade finished so had a break from the GTS, should be starting back on it in a week or so :)

Meanwhile heres the Blade that I've nearly finished :)

SBeachill
Master Sergeant

Postby SBeachill » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:17 pm

Well seems like it's time to give up!................anybody up to the challenge of this one?? I'm seriously done in with it this time, maybe I'm just getting old and tired but my hearts just not in this bike anymore, I feel the need ...to move on, anybody interested it stands me at 3k + (thats not including the rear SSSA not on in pic!) open to offers may take a p/x deal on it?? still lots to do but it will make one awsome one off kind of bike when done.

Let me know

Cheers

Steve

24c
Site Admin

Ending a project

Postby 24c » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:54 am

Steve, sorry to see this yet again. You seem to have had a yoyo ride with this one, and you had these feelings a few times. Are you really sure this is it?

What are the issues now, other than you are sick of it. I thought you were making progress, and it was starting to come together. :?

Personally, you'd be better off taking a time out and attacking it later, unless somebody else wants to take it on. Maybe you'll get an offer on the other forums you've been posting on.

Whatever happens, best wishes.

PS I can't take it on, as I am concentrating on my Panhard stuff at the moment.
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

Pachi
Sergeant Major

Postby Pachi » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:14 pm

Sorry to learn this. As Mike put it, I thought you were making advances and whatever the issues are, you can store it away for a while and come back to it sometime later on.

Whatever the decision is, good luck and all the best!. It´s been one hell of a project!.

bimota
First Sergeant

Postby bimota » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:52 am

Hi Steve,

just seen your gts on ebay, i really hope you get the money your looking for and really sorry it ended this way.
just wishing you well with sale.

Rob

Brian Steers
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Brian Steers » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:18 pm

SBeachill
Master Sergeant

Postby SBeachill » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:18 am

Thanks for the kind words guys, just come to the end of the road with this at the moment, can't complete it the way I want it so I don't see the point in completing it to be honest as it wouldn't be what I set out to do! Other than that the fact the build took more time to complete because of certain parties it just left a bad taste in my mouth everytime it come to doing something on it no matter how much enthusiasm I could muster!!

Anyway bikes new owner is coming to collect tomorrow so will make sure he posts up on here to see how he gets on with finishing it :)

Cheers

Steve

Pachi
Sergeant Major

Postby Pachi » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:20 pm

Congratulations, Steve. At least you managed to sell the project.

Waiting eagerly for a fresh one. :-)

Ibanez

Postby Ibanez » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:39 pm

Well, Im the new owner so I thought I'd best pop by to say hello. Iv had a weekend of messing with the bike, getting to know it and a lot of sat looking at it drinking tea.
Think I've got a plan sorted in my head. Wont be the quickest of builds as I work away a lot but I shall try and pop by periodicly to keep you updated.[/img]

Return to “Projects”