Starting a project :)

This where you can add a special bike project based on a GTS1000 rolling chassis.
Chris
Sergeant Major

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:50 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers,
Chris

Those you can't impress with knowledge, confuse with nonsense... :wtf:
"Limited edition" Black, 150.000Km

SBeachill
Master Sergeant

Postby SBeachill » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:53 pm

Some more update pics, have started to make infil panels to see where I need to fill in rather than extend the top of the seat unit.

Steve

Pachi
Sergeant Major

Postby Pachi » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:35 pm

Impressive!. This kind of work goes well beyond my ability. I admire those with it and the will to make it happen. Congrats, and keep going.
Last edited by Pachi on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

cobrajunkie
Corporal

Postby cobrajunkie » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:33 pm

Nice. How will you remove the bodywork to access the underneath bits?

SBeachill
Master Sergeant

Postby SBeachill » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 pm

Pachi wrote:Impressive!. This kind of work goes well beyond my ability. I admire those with it and the will to maie it happen. Congrats, and keep going.

Thanks Pachi, will try and get to the end now as it's become an obsession to finish it now :)

Steve

SBeachill
Master Sergeant

Postby SBeachill » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:43 pm

cobrajunkie wrote:Nice. How will you remove the bodywork to access the underneath bits?

Fairing and tank unit comes off as one piece mate but you do have to remove handlebars first :) seat unit is in 2 pieces and top comes off leaving bottom in place for storage of electrics, as the bikes lost nearly 40kg in weight so far I'm going to put the battery up front to add some weight back up tp the steering side of things. :)

Steve

24c
Site Admin

Weight reduction

Postby 24c » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:16 am

SBeachill wrote:...as the bikes lost nearly 40kg in weight so far I'm going to put the battery up front to add some weight back up tp the steering side of things....

40kgs, that's impressive. Is that with the other wheels & single sided arm? Either way that'd make the bike weigh around 220kgs, but are you sure about the front end losses. My OEM GTS has 105 kgs on the rear wheel, 155 kgs on the front wheel, so I wouldn't have thought you'd need any more bias to the front.

I'd get out the bathroom scales and stick a wheel a time on them, and check what is happening. :idea:
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

SBeachill
Master Sergeant

Re: Weight reduction

Postby SBeachill » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:20 am

24c wrote:40kgs, that's impressive. Is that with the other wheels & single sided arm? Either way that'd make the bike weigh around 220kgs, but are you sure about the front end losses. My OEM GTS has 105 kgs on the rear wheel, 155 kgs on the front wheel, so I wouldn't have thought you'd need any more bias to the front.

I'd get out the bathroom scales and stick a wheel a time on them, and check what is happening. :idea:

Thats with stock wheels and stock arm Mike (SSSA weighed in at a lot more) there are a couple of other reasons for sticking the battery up front, losing a lot of weight off the front due to headlight, clocks, mirrors, part of the front subframe was just one of them, the front shock seems to regained a little more static sag so just wanted to add a little weight to reduce that slightly also there isn't much room under the new seat unit to fit a stock size battery aswell as all the electrics!! lol

Steve

SBeachill
Master Sergeant

Postby SBeachill » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:57 am

Was looking at some pics last night of the project and it got me thinking that the bike looks a little front heavy bodywork wise so thought I'd see how twin underseat exhausts would look with the new seat unit. :)

Steve

StJean
Sergeant Major

Postby StJean » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:50 pm

looks good
If a man says he will fix it, he will !
There's no need to remind him every six months about it.

SBeachill
Master Sergeant

Postby SBeachill » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:21 pm

Thanks mate

Right decided if this is going to be done it's going to be done the original way I had planned ....... so enter SSSA number 2 :) 7.5 inch rim and 210 tyre :)

Steve

Daf
Master Sergeant

Postby Daf » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:24 pm

looks better with the single sided arm, I think. :D

Pachi
Sergeant Major

Postby Pachi » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:57 pm

Much better, IMO. And the exhausts under the seat is a good solution design wise.

SBeachill
Master Sergeant

Postby SBeachill » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:19 pm

Thanks guys

Managed to get a bit more done today, done some work on the under seat unit sorting the infil panels, riveted in place for now as painter is going to glass all this and needs them filled to where they are going to be, once glassed he'll bring bodywork back for fit and adjustments and go back for primer from there :)

Going to start on headlight and screen tomorrow, then theres just fuel filler and front mudguard to sort before the painter takes it away to work his magic :)

Steve

SBeachill
Master Sergeant

Postby SBeachill » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:11 pm

Been a busy bee today trying to get the rest of the parts on the bodywork sorted so it can be glassed in and reinforced etc, made a bezel for the headlight to fit that (gone for the old endurance style look of one set off to one side) and started work on fitting the screen, not a stock screen I might add so some work there :)

Steve

Return to “Projects”