Starting full rebuild of a 93 GTS1000

This where you can add a special bike project based on a GTS1000 rolling chassis.
jorojin
Master Sergeant

Re: Starting full rebuild of a 93 GTS1000

Postby jorojin » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:48 pm

As you all will be aware I have had a problem with the Neutral light not lighting, well it was solved with a bit of brain power. Although the LEDs that OmegaChassis kindly supplied me with were marked with + - and the Yamaha maintenance manual showed the pale blue wire being the positive, the lamp refused to light even though I checked that it was ok. I suddenly had a brainwave that the neutral switch actually made a -ve contact, not a +ve contact. So although the bulb was aligned +vely in fact it needed to be aligned the other way -ve. A filament bulb doesn't need to be any particular way around but the LEDs need to align correctly. Unfortunately the neutral bulb (only) needs to be inserted with the -ve aligned with the pale blue wire on the Yamaha wiring diagram.

Only need to sort out the handle bars and the throttle now and the bike will be ready for a new owner, any offers?
Last edited by jorojin on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:05 am

I have now put the original handlebars back on the bike with the original top yoke that I had previous had powdercoated anthracite grey like the frame. Then I suddenly realised that I had reduced the throttle twistgrip from the original 130mm to 120mm to suit the flat Renthal bars that I planned to use. Now going back to the original bars the twistgrip was too short and left a 15mm gap between the twistgrip and the original cast iron bar end weight (see page 5), the unthreaded part of the bar end weight actually sits inside the plastic twistgrip. So found another twistgrip on fleaBay, but then the troubles started, couldn't find a 130mm grip that I liked. It seems that Renthal have stopped shipping their 130mm grip and every stockist that I contacted hadn't any old stock. So looking around I found an Italian made Ariete grip type 02613/N that looked good, but yet again everyone who advertised them through fleaBay or Amazon said they were out of stock and "on back order".
So I approached Ariete in Italy direct and got an immediate reply from a signor Massimo Gobbi who put me in touch with the trade wholesaler Bradbury Bros of Huddersfield (UK), and gave me 4 contacts with retailers who had recently ordered Ariete type 02613/N grips. The first one I contacted was AV Superbikes of Armadale, West Lothian, Scotland, who not only confirmed that they had the grips in stock, but after taking the order rushed out of the showroom at 16:45 to get them to the post office for the 17:00 pickup and got them sent next day delivery - definite 5 Star customer care. Thanks all round to Massimo at Ariete, Bradbury Bros and the guys at AV Superbikes.

daveett
Staff Sergeant

Postby daveett » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:55 pm

Great to have a seller endorsed, and yet again proves that with some effort just about anything is possible!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:40 am

I have now put the original headstock / yoke back on the bike. I had previously had it powder coated Anthracite Grey to match the frame and I can now see the mirrors and what is behind me.

My son has again had the bike out for a test drive as my shoulder is now so bad I can't get the bike off the centre stand, or on and off the hydraulic lift to do any work on it without help, no prob getting it on the centre stand, but can't get it off!! :(

I will be putting the bike on eBay this week with a starting price of £6k, which means that if it sells at that price I will have lost about £2k on the project, but I am now incapable of riding the bike due to my shoulder, a sad end to what I thought was going to be my last bike of a long line of bikes going back to about 1961. The bikes included some strange ones, but some good memories, 70cc BSA Dandy, James trial bike, Greeves Scottish, Bultaco 325 (Sammy Miller special), AJS G3LS, Norton 99, Norton 650SS, Triton, Suzuki 400, Yamaha FJ1200 (best long distance bike by far), Honda VFR800 Vtec, GTS1000.

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:25 pm

The GTS is now on sale on the VJMC website and on this forum, with a price of £5k.

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:40 am

Sob, Sob. Now unfortunately my lovely GTS is sold.

Return to “Projects”