Starting full rebuild of a 93 GTS1000

This where you can add a special bike project based on a GTS1000 rolling chassis.
Mark Henry
Sergeant First Class

Re: Starting full rebuild of a 93 GTS1000

Postby Mark Henry » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:14 pm

Unbelievable- good luck regardless

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:04 pm

Well as expected my application for UK registration was again rejected by the DVLA, without the promised telephone call or email they promised before rejection to sort things out. It also looks as if they have lost some of the documentation that I originally sent, but fortunately I have copies. They will not accept the documentation from the Nederland as proof of first registration and want a letter from Yamaha to confirm year of manufacture, not first registration. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Luckily Moira at Yamaha Customer Services 01932 358000 came to the rescue :clap: and gave me all the information on the bike, manufactured October 1992, registered 1993. So I have sent off to them photos of frame and engine numbers and they will provide a dating letter for a payment of £40. Could be the far side of xmas before it arrives, but fingers crossed it could be quicker. :D :coffee:

isle of wight
Staff Sergeant

Postby isle of wight » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Wow thats a lot of stuff they need.Will be worth it in the end
May the 16th shall now be known as GTS day

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:09 pm

A synopsis on what the build has taught me and how to minimise the hassle for anyone undertaking a similar build. I will put it all together in a number of posts, but here goes for starters:

1) First of all make a definite decision on a) how much you want to spend on the project and b) how far do you want the project to tart up the bike or do you want to do a rebuild. These 2 decisions will decide what from my list applies to you. :coffee:
2) You can get a GTS1000 on eBay for less than £4k, but if you do a full rebuild as I did then the base cost of materials, not including your time will push that above £6k and nearer £7k, especially if you change every nut and bolt to stainless (specials where visible), stainless bolts have cost me at least £500. :(
3) Recognise that due to the rarity of the bike that a lot (most) of the spares are no longer available from Yamaha. :evil:
4) Bearings particularly are not available for parts such as the top and bottom wishbones and the front wheel, but are available from other sources and may mean modifying spacers (see following posts). :coffee: :wtf: :!: :?:

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:50 am

5) Photographs - Mobile phones are a godsend for taking photographs BEFORE you strip things down and again when you have stripped them to show any features or fastenings not readily visible before stripping. This applies especially to the front end of the bike to show cable and pipe routes. :coffee: Store the photos on your computer and make a backup, because if you lose them you will be knackered as there are so many unusual things on the GTS. For instance the route of the front brake lines, who came up with that route!!!!! :roll: :cry:
6) Put labels on all electrical connections either side of the connector, it should be infallible, but somehow I got the coil connections the wrong way round on the left hand coil. :doh: :oops:
7) Whether or not you at changing the nuts and bolts to stainless you should store them as you take them off in containers. I used Illy coffee tins and ice cream containers.
8 ) Get a set of genuine Yamaha maintenance manuals, there usually are some floating around on eBay. :coffee:
9) Decide whether you want to strip the engine down, and if so how far you want to go. I took the head and cam box off and re-cut and ground in the valves. I also had the head and cam box vapour blasted and powder coated. If you get anything vapour blasted or similar take extra care that you have got all the grit or blasting media out of every oil way and stud hole. If you are going to regrind the valves, there are 20!!, get yourself set up before you start so that you can keep each valve numbered and stored with the original collets and springs and don't forget to renew the oil seals on the valve stems.
10) If you are taking the engine out the manual makes it sound easy, it isn't!!!!! It says take a few bolts out and a side panel of the frame and hey presto!! the engine is out. NO IT ISN'T. For a start the manual misses the bolts on the plate under the rear of the gearbox and the engine has to be lifted / tilted at the front end to get it through the gap in the frame. Because of that you really need to be lifting the engine with a chain block attached to the roof of your garage and ideally 2 people doing it.
11)An engine stand. Not 100% necessary for you to strip the engine, but it makes the job a lot easier as the sump on the GTS is an odd shape and the engine sits at a funny angle and is unstable for working on it.
Last edited by jorojin on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:34 am

12) Don't be afraid to ask for help. Although this is a small forum and it can be weeks before you get a reply, the people on the forum are usually GTS owners and have probably been through the same problems you are having - ASK :D
13) Although the engine is the same as in a couple of other Yamahas, there are small differences so check part numbers carefully, even then it may or may not fit. Take the cylinder head gaskets the first one I got had holes the wrong size for the bolts and locating pegs and eventually I got an Athena one and that was correct from Yambits. :coffee:
14) Go on the Fowlers site https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/browser/ ... cocktail-2 or the or the MSP site https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/yam ... -1998.aspx and find the part you want. If it says unavailable you can usually click on the part number and it will give you a list of bikes that used the same part. You can go online and usually if you just type in the part number in the search engine it might come up with the part in some obscure location. :coffee:
15) I will give a list of the Yamaha bearing part numbers and the equivalents that I found later in the synopsis, but for those that haven't ordered bearings before you give the bearing by type, eg "Drawn cup needle roller" then it is inside diameter, outside diameter and then width. For example "Drawn cup needle bearing 17x34x30" all sizes in mm. :clap: Spherical bearings such as at the LH end of the upper front wishbone are different as the spherical part sticks outside the main outer by 1mm each side. So this bearing would be "Spherical bearing 12x22x9/11".

tiretread
Sergeant First Class

Postby tiretread » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:07 pm

^^^Some great info right there

Arno
Staff Sergeant

Postby Arno » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:03 am

Comfort yourself Jorojin, in Germany you have even bigger problems with the new registration of GTS especially if she comes from abroad. We have proven to be directly from Yamaha Germany to provide us a clearance certificate for the GTS. :doh:
Some parts do not exist anymore, e.g. Lock washers, which then have to be made by yourself. :clap: :cheers:

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi Arno
What you have to do is also what I am having to do. Yamaha must give me a letter of date for the manufacture of the GTS, not the date when it was first registered in the Nederland. Yamaha say that the bike was actually manufactured in October 1992, although first registration was 1993. The frame is a low number 918. Yamaha say it might be 4 weeks before they can supply me with a letter as they have so many requests for dating letters. :coffee:

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:28 pm

Got a little Xmas pressi for myself. A metal sign showing the GTS without the bodywork. It will be going on my garage wall with my VR46 memorabilia and photos of my past bikes and cars. The photo is taken from the original Yamaha sales brochure, but what I can't understand is why they used a bike with a well used CAT converter already going rusty, didn't they have a new one?

Mark Henry
Sergeant First Class

Postby Mark Henry » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:11 pm

That one looks new by comparison to some I've seen :wink:

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi Guys

Sorry I haven't added anything to my thread for a while, but I promise I will, but I have been a bit depressed with getting nowhere with the DVLA to register the bike in the UK. I got the date of manufacture letter from Yamaha (costing £40) and sent it off with lots of additional info from the guy in the Nederland (Erik) and the guy I bought it from (Lewis), all confirming that it was a legal import and all the engine and frame numbers match the Nederland registration documents and that no VAT duty etc is due and so far I have heard zilch from the DVLA. I assume they are thinking up some more obscure questions to justify their existence. One stupid part of this is that the form you have to fill in has a question "Date of first registration", but they don't want that they want the date of manufacture, hence the letter from Yamaha. So if they don't want the date of first registration why have the question on the form in the first place. :wtf: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Arno
Staff Sergeant

Postby Arno » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:16 am

Well, that's the same with state agencies around the world. Does not go any better in Germany than you.

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:38 am

Hi Arno

Happy New Year. The weather in the UK isn't motorcycle weather, snow today. My son on his Honda CRF450X has no problems and is probably one of the few who will get to work on time today as the UK highways people are pathetic at clearing snow. We only have 150 - 200mm of snow today and the country comes to a halt.

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:31 pm

Yippeeee!!!! :clap: :cheers: :D

The UK registration documents came through today, it has only taken me nearly 4 months for me to persuade the DVLA to issue them. The saga gets even stranger, you will remember I said that although the application wanted the "date of first registration" (May 1993), ie when it was registered in the Nederland, but the DVLA insisted they wanted the "date of manufacture"(October 1992), hence the requirement to get the dating letter from Yamaha. Well the documents came through today and the date of first registration is now shown as 1st Feb 2018, which is obviously false and nowhere is there a mention of the "date of manufacture", even though they have given it an "age related" registration number starting with "K", ie 1992. So the document that is the legal basis of the registration for the bike is a mash up of the first order. To top it all the DVLA asked for originals of any documents to be sent with the application, including the £40 Yamaha dating letter and they have sent none of them back to me, what a set of tossers. :doh: :wtf: :evil:

Return to “Projects”