Starting full rebuild of a 93 GTS1000

This where you can add a special bike project based on a GTS1000 rolling chassis.
Arno
Staff Sergeant

Re: Starting full rebuild of a 93 GTS1000

Postby Arno » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:21 pm

The picture wich show the brake lever ist not correct. You nied vor the brake lever two holes to fit. on the picture is only one hole and a hole for a brake cable, but the GTS has hydraulik brakes and clutch!!

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:18 pm

Hi Arno. I am not sure what you mean, which of the photographs are you referring to. The levers are correct for the hydraulic clutch and brake and I have bled them and they do work ok. The handle bars that are shown in the photo are the original GTS bars, but I have since the photograph fitted the Lucas mounting and Renthal flat bars, but I have not positioned the levers and electrical switches until I have installed the bodywork to check for clearances.

Arno
Staff Sergeant

Postby Arno » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:03 am

I mean the pictures on ebay. The picture on page 17 of this thread are correct, but this are not the same as ebay.

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi Arno, thanks for the info. I think the photos are generic and not specific to the model of bike. This is the advert for the GTS1000 brake lever and it looks the same. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Long-brake-cl ... SwxfNXNhkt . I think they go by the title of the article on eBay when they dispatch them. Sorry if I have misled anyone :(

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:01 pm

Installing bodywork going well, I am having to make a few brackets here and there where they have been previously broken, but it is looking good. Hopefully lots of photos to see tomorrow.

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:24 pm

OK here we go, I hope this isn't overload, but it is looking so good I couldn't stop taking photos. You will also see from the photos that my workspace has been "invaded" by a series of iron fence panels waiting for their next coat of paint. It is a grand daughter proof (we hope) fence to go around my Koi carp pond. :)

I smoothed out the welds on the lower wishbone before powder coating. :cheers:

Look at that lovely Wilbers shock :clap:

I even tried the luggage on to make sure there was plenty of clearance to the exhaust :D :clap:

The gaps between the various panels seems to be ok.

I have actually got the front fender and the upper fairing on today, but haven't got any photos as it was too dark and I need the garage door open to get the light, but tomorrow I will post some more photos.

OmegaChassis
Sergeant Major

Postby OmegaChassis » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:48 am

Nice job Jorojin 8) :clap:
Those panniers look good, i wonder where you got them from :?: :whistle:
I love the summer, it is my favourite day of the year!

isle of wight
Sergeant

Postby isle of wight » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:38 pm

Where DID you get the panniers from? How did you refurb them. Also is that a swing arm cover on the front? Where did you find that?
May the 16th shall now be known as GTS day

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:45 am

The panniers came thanks to OmegaChassis as did various other pieces. Thanks for progress on the bike need to go to him for the advice and help he has given. They haven't been refurbished yet, but they could end up the same MotGP blue colour as the bike. :D
The cover on the RHS of the lower swinging arm is the original one but with the bolt holes filled in. If you look on previous pages you will see that I did considerable work cleaning up the welds on the arm before powder coating and I have fastened the cover on with high impact double sided tape used by a friend of mine to attach tracker units to HGVs. I spayed the cover with Anthracite Grey colour matched (coded) to the powder coating on the frame. :shock:
What I have noticed from the photos is the amount of dust on the bike from its long gestation in the garage :coffee: , it really needs to get out there and blow it off before the weather closes in. :clap:

isle of wight
Sergeant

Postby isle of wight » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Nice thanks I couldn't work out the swing arm but that explains it. That's going to be soooo nice when you've finished. Now Ive got to find some Panniers. I have Monkeys on mine but it looks all wrong.

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:32 pm

I will probably go for a Monokey top box on mine when next summer comes around :coffee: , I had a nice one with a back rest for the Missus on the VFR800 vtec. :clap:

isle of wight
Sergeant

Postby isle of wight » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:03 pm

How did you find the VFR. Ive got a 750L which I love and apart from one stone chip and small crack in the plastic is mint and I want to keep it like that. I looked at the later 750's but felt that they had gone too sporty. The Vtec didnt appeal so I thought one of the first gen 800s that still had the gear driven cams would be the way to go.

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:17 pm

isle of wight wrote:How did you find the VFR. Ive got a 750L which I love and apart from one stone chip and small crack in the plastic is mint and I want to keep it like that. I looked at the later 750's but felt that they had gone too sporty. The Vtec didnt appeal so I thought one of the first gen 800s that still had the gear driven cams would be the way to go.

I was spoiled because I had a mint Yamaha FJ1200 before the VFR and the FJ was a quiet pussy until you opened the throttle and it would take you from 50mph in top gear up to the max speed without a change down :clap: . The VFR800vtec in contrast only really worked if you kept feeding the revs in, with the vtec kicking in at 6k it was a bit un-nerving at times when you were heeled over in a bend and you got the extra boost :evil: . Plus the missus didn't get thrown about on the FJ and hated the power surge of the VFR. :wtf:

isle of wight
Sergeant

Postby isle of wight » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:12 pm

What year FJ? The GTS I find "Buzzy" on the motorway and I keep trying to find 6th Gear. The VFR just thrums along. I wouldn't get the VTec its like the turbo on my car. nothing happens then booom. Much prefer a linear power line.

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:56 am

The FJ was K registration 1992. :clap:

The VFR800 vtec was 2004 and I did a full strip and rebuild after one of my sons used it for about 3 years for 365 days per year, everything that wasn't stainless had rotted away :wtf:

Return to “Projects”