Starting full rebuild of a 93 GTS1000

This where you can add a special bike project based on a GTS1000 rolling chassis.
OmegaChassis
Sergeant Major

Re: Starting full rebuild of a 93 GTS1000

Postby OmegaChassis » Sat May 27, 2017 10:33 am

Hello Jorojin

May be you could christen the bike at the German gts meet :!: :wink:
I love the summer, it is my favourite day of the year!

jorojin
Sergeant First Class

Postby jorojin » Wed May 31, 2017 8:53 pm

A bit more progress today, radiator in, injector rail in and injectors connected to wiring harness.

jorojin
Sergeant First Class

Postby jorojin » Wed May 31, 2017 8:59 pm

I have also put the wing mirror mounts on the top fairing piece and the opposing pieces in the actual mirrors. Don't worry about the scruffy fairing it is only surface muck, the spray paint guy is coming round when I am finished and buffing it up.

Can anybody tell me if there is a knack to getting them together as the springs on the retainers seem too strong and I am afraid of damaging the fairing if I press to hard.
Last edited by jorojin on Wed May 31, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jorojin
Sergeant First Class

Postby jorojin » Wed May 31, 2017 9:03 pm

I have also reconstructed the petrol tank cover and compartment, You will note the slight difference in colour, but this will be corrected.

But I seem to have this small part left over, any body know what it is?

jorojin
Sergeant First Class

Postby jorojin » Wed May 31, 2017 9:06 pm

I have to say that although the Yamaha workshop manuals are good, the cable routing diagrams aren't up to much. I can't tell where half the cables actually run and I am having to go by trial and error, which means quite a bit of redoing what I have already done to get cables to reach their correct connectors.

isle of wight
Private

Postby isle of wight » Wed May 31, 2017 9:23 pm

I cant help with the "what is this" but it did make me smile. Reminded me of any years ago I took an engine out of a mark 2 Jag for a rebore and then put it back. One bolt left over that I never found out where it went :-)
May the 16th shall now be known as GTS day

lewisjjp
Sergeant

Postby lewisjjp » Wed May 31, 2017 10:46 pm

yeah that looks like the insert for the seat lock!!

OmegaChassis
Sergeant Major

Postby OmegaChassis » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:10 am

jorojin wrote:I have also put the wing mirror mounts on the top fairing piece and the opposing pieces in the actual mirrors. Don't worry about the scruffy fairing it is only surface muck, the spray paint guy is coming round when I am finished and buffing it up.

Can anybody tell me if there is a knack to getting them together as the springs on the retainers seem too strong and I am afraid of damaging the fairing if I press to hard.

Hello Jorijin
I assume you have put plenty grease on each knuckle, you have to push each clip on one at a time if you know what i mean :?:
I love the summer, it is my favourite day of the year!

jorojin
Sergeant First Class

Postby jorojin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:30 pm

I need to clean under the plastic cover on the console, but I can't get the 2 "reset" knob rubbers off, is there a knack? All the bulbs, in the console, have now been changed for LEDs.

I have now completed the wiring reconnections, cooling plumbing and hydraulics and hope to get some oil in the engine tomorrow to give it a turn over. I don't intend starting it until I come back from holiday, but would like to just turn it over to make sure my engine rebuild is ok.

lewisjjp
Sergeant

Postby lewisjjp » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:27 pm

Yes, the mileage knobs unscrew quite easily, they do not push on/off. Make sure the led lamps are rounds the right way before reassembly.

Arno
Sergeant

Postby Arno » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:51 am

The buttons can be unscrewed.

jorojin
Sergeant First Class

Postby jorojin » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:03 am

lewisjjp wrote:Yes, the mileage knobs unscrew quite easily, they do not push on/off. Make sure the led lamps are rounds the right way before reassembly.

Yep I tested each LED before fitting and marked which terminal was +ve with a marker to make sure I got them the right way around.

jorojin
Sergeant First Class

Postby jorojin » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:11 pm

Got the yoke back from polishing and I can't believe the shine, it looks like chrome not aluminium. The strange thing is that the guy who did the polishing said that he would fall out with me if I tried to polish it with one of the proprietary ali polishes, only use "windolene". Still not sure if I am going to use it and it might be a nice pressie for OmegaChassis if I don't. :clap: :cheers:

jorojin
Sergeant First Class

Postby jorojin » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:31 pm

I have also been busy doing an airbox mod similar to Mike Crane's suggestions. The inlet trumpets are cut down Ducati 916 trumpets (who said "criminal"), which opens up the inlet to the airbox to 50mm from the standard 35mm each side and gives a smoother air flow into the airbox. Inside the airbox I have ditched the Yam filter and gone for a pair of K&N filters (YA-5001) from the XP500 T-Max. It requires small mods to the internal of the airbox, but is a really good fit. I then altered the internal trumpets that go down to the injectors by cutting them at 45degrees. All this and the freer breathing exhaust means that I am going to have to get the bike on a rolling road to check whether it is running lean.
Here is the original setup.

Here are the original Ducati 916 trumpets.

K&N YA-5001 filters (expensive £49.00 each :evil: )

And the new layout.

Sprayed the airbox with car bumper paint and it looks like new.

jorojin
Sergeant First Class

Postby jorojin » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:36 pm

I have also had a go at adjusting the "camber" on the front wheel and it has been a total disaster. the Yam maintenance manual says run the string line (!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: ) through the centre stand, but if you do it touches in a places, no matter what spacers (Yam manual) you use, so it was back to the chain lift and wooden blocks under the frame. I set it up exactly as the manual, but the front wheel definitely looks to lean to the left looking from the front. I will give it another go when I get back from holiday, but it was definitely a dampener. :( :evil:

Return to “Projects”