Greetings from new GTS owner

A place for "noobies" to say hello.

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan

HighwayStar

Greetings from new GTS owner

Postby HighwayStar » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:41 pm

Hello

Just got me a 94 GTS with 50000 miles and I love it.
The more I investigate it the more I realise how sofisticated it is and that Yamaha must have spenat a lot of money on development.
A question to you, removing the top tank cover, on top of the airbox was a loose rubber sheet. What is the purpose of it and where does it attach?

isle of wight
Sergeant

Re: Greetings from new GTS owner

Postby isle of wight » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:00 am

Hi HighwayStar,

Did you get it from ebay? Cant help with your question but I'm sure others can.
May the 16th shall now be known as GTS day

daveett
Private First Class

Postby daveett » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:07 pm

Welcome to the fold! No idea about your question I'm afraid I'm only a month into my ownership.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:10 pm

Can you post a photo?

HighwayStar

Postby HighwayStar » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:58 pm

IMG_0312reduced.jpg

[
IMG_0303reduced.jpg

IMG_0330reduced.jpg

Here are some pictures of the bike and the rubber sheet. I have been busy. It started with the replacement of a broken flasher indicator light bulb but went on with me fabricating and attaching all 4 tabs on the instrument panel cover. Then I fixed all cracks, all the black panels below the handle bars had some. At this point it was now half naked so on went a new oil filter and oil. The oxygen sensor was cleaned and all joints I could find were oiled. I was suprised how well it responded to a paint rubbing treatment. Afterwards I took a step back and whsat I saw was all good. As a reward I took it to it's first track day. While not beeing the fastest bike it was absolutly not the slowest. Track days are probably the number 2 or 3 best thing you can do, highly recommended. A not expected behaviour was need to steer it through slow corners at big lean angles. A big effort is needed to prevent it from straightening itself up. The faster the corner the smaller the effort, but still! I don't think I like it. My suspicion is to much trail is designed into the front end. This will be my next task to fix.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daveett
Private First Class

Postby daveett » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:30 pm

I've just fitted shorter dog bones, and the transformation is amazing. Now steers like it ought to! Downside is not being able to 'flatfoot' on both sides, though it's a small price to pay.

Fitting was simple, though does involve removing the shock so the lower swivel can be moved enough to get the bottom bolt out.

Toon

Postby Toon » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:48 pm

curious, I had the opposite! I've removed the short ones for longer dog-bones and I found the steering more direct than before. What is the original length of them anyway?

isle of wight
Sergeant

Postby isle of wight » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:18 pm

That looks in really good nick.
May the 16th shall now be known as GTS day

HighwayStar

Postby HighwayStar » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:37 pm

Daveett, this makes sense. Shorter rear linkage arms will raise the back and decrease the rake and trail, which in turn reduces the steering effort.
Toon, interesting. Can it be that you have heavy bags fitted that shift center of gravity backwards?
A good way to learn is to go with only one hand on the handlebar on slow curves with a fair amount of lay down.
On a right corner I have to push handlebar with my right arm to stay on constant lean, on lefts I pull.
Can somebody maybe have a look under the fairing on their bike to locate the "rubber sheet" and tell me to what it attaches? Is it positioned horisontally? vertically?

daveett
Private First Class

Re: RE: Re: Greetings from new GTS owner

Postby daveett » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:42 am

Toon wrote:curious, I had the opposite! I've removed the short ones for longer dog-bones and I found the steering more direct than before. What is the original length of them anyway?
Not entirely sure sure of the original length, but the new ones have 154 written on them and are (I think) 25mm shorter. I will measure the standard ones next time I'm in the garage.

daveett
Private First Class

Postby daveett » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:37 pm

I can't see your photos but I d:id take a pic of the rubber sheet around the fuel filler. Is this it:Image

Chris
Sergeant Major

Postby Chris » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:59 pm

The rubber sheet under the fairing is to help protect from water getting on the engine and electronics in that area afaik
Cheers,
Chris

Those you can't impress with knowledge, confuse with nonsense... :wtf:
"Limited edition" Black, 145000Km

Return to “Newbie Corner”