Newbie from Singapore

A place for "noobies" to say hello.

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan

Strokers

Newbie from Singapore

Postby Strokers » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:38 am

Hi fellow gts owners

I just bought a gts from a buddy who had it for 20 years and I was pleasantly surprised how nice the bike is to ride. I am from singapore and it's hot and humid here .. A great place to ride all year round but only in neighboring Malaysia and Thailand .

I've been going over the bike and apparently my buddy takes good care of it. It has ohlins front and rear shocks and rides beautifully in terms of comfort and stability. However I did noticed that my lower ball joint has a up down movement and a clunking sound when I inspected it although it doesn't seem to bother the ride and handling of the bike . Is there some technical guru in this forum who can explain or help .

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:40 am

Hi Strokers

When you saw lower balljoint, do you mean the main one under the front wheel hub?
I only ask because usually these are pretty robust and only ever wear if they have been involved in an accident, or dry out.

Usually the clunking and squeaking can come from the top arm bushes either side, which are a spherical bearing, plus you'll get a clunk from the short steering tube that supports the handlebars,

If the front wheel moves up & down with the wheel in free air, that's when the bike is on the centre stand, and it's chocked up under the engine or weighed down at the rear, then you have a problem.

Your tyre wear might be odd, and you might get some odd moments when hitting a bump or too.

Mike

PS Welcome to the forum.
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

Strokers

Postby Strokers » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:46 pm

Thanks for the reply.. Yes it's the lower ball joint I'm referring to. It has some up down movement on the centre stand.. But as mentioned I cannot feel it when I'm riding the bike which still tracks true and has no play or any clunky sound even I when ride over stop bumps fast.. I'm wondering should it be like that.. Does anyone know where I can buy this ball joint because it's like looking for hen teeth from where I am.

StJean
Sergeant Major

Postby StJean » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:03 pm

:cheers: Cheers !
If a man says he will fix it, he will !
There's no need to remind him every six months about it.

Strokers

Postby Strokers » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:25 pm

Cheers stjean :cheers: :cheers: :coffee: :cheers:

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:40 am

Hi again Strokers,

You can see it here...and it's not a normal looking ball joint, as most have a taper or side fixing bolt to fix. It might be possible to machine down a car or truck one if you could get something close, but I wouldn't hold your breath on this.

The part number is 4BH2357900

It's listed at €512,50 and NO LONGER AVAILABLE, however you might get one on back order

Mike

PS If you have a tyre lever, plastic coated bar or whatever, you can jack up the front wheel and double check, by levering against the front arm and upright to see it the movement is really there. If it is, your best looking on eBay for a secondhand front arm or upright, as that'll be your cheapest route.
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

Strokers

Postby Strokers » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:57 am

Thanks for the reply guys. I was hoping for an easy fit but it appears there might be none. Since there is no stock and mine seems worn I might have to use something from a truck or something as mentioned. It's unlikely that Yamaha will design a totally new ball joint or just use something generic,, unless everything in the market doesn't fit . Well I'm hopeful someone here has something for sale or maybe know a source where to purchase..

Return to “Newbie Corner”