New sport-tourer owner, long trips planned & problemsolv

A place for "noobies" to say hello.

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan

1man1mountain

New sport-tourer owner, long trips planned & problemsolv

Postby 1man1mountain » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:13 pm

Hello to you all!
I recently purchased a GTS from its first and single owner this autum and had the honor of turning the tripmeter to all zero digits (so yeah ofcourse I will claim that achivement myself)
I'm a young (ish) new rider and happend upon these nice sport tourers as on the second hand market they are not as popular as the adventure category (what the last owner purchased instead) and are very often well treated and serviced which often negates the high milage. IT was not what I was searching for but was a very nice deal and i will use it for travel. I live in Sweden so first ill get the nice views from this country and norway and then head south thru europe. The traveling being the important part not the destination!

I have been through most of the threads of the forum searching for the collected knowledge about this bike over the years.
While I seldom see new threads i realise most of the things has already been discussed. But sometimes a bugger to find.

As many others I seek advice or maybe just support with a problem with my gts. I try to get to know it mechanically before I leave for a 4 week euro-trip this summer (which will include UK)
If anyone knows where I should point my nose, then feel free to share!

So.. the problem:
The bike is consuming oil and the reason is pretty clear as I can see traces from where is stopped. Usually a drop or two, but I consume 1L every 1000Km when running. I have found the location of the oil, which is either the o ring on the water pump in the engine or a small hole that is in the water pump that lets out oil (I recently emptied the coolant to remove it and there is no contamination in the water from the oil)

I'm yet to test a new o ring before I change the seals inside the water pump, but a more mayor issue is that the Oil smell of Gas
I have fixed leaking carbs before, but with EFI I have no clue where to start.
The only thing I know and can try is the check compression on worn rings at a friend's garage but I can't do it just yet.

Any suggestions? Fuel pump regulator? (what ever that is) how do you check injectors?

Anyways, I appreciate any help and feel i know some of you already (if you are still active) by so much reading of all the threads already :)

// No man is an Island

StJean
Sergeant Major

Postby StJean » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:30 pm

1l every 1000km is pretty normal for a GTS ;)
If a man says he will fix it, he will !
There's no need to remind him every six months about it.

1man1mountain

Postby 1man1mountain » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:53 pm

It sure is a nice breadcrum trail, be sure not to follow me to close from behind tho :)

1man1mountain

Postby 1man1mountain » Sun May 03, 2015 9:59 pm

Just a quick update.

The oil leak was working as designed leak from the waterpump stoping oil from possibly entering the coolant itself. (I would post a picture but donno how to upload)

I replaced the seals and now no more leaks. remains to fix the gas in the oil issue.[/img]

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Sun May 03, 2015 10:05 pm

1man1mountain wrote:... (I would post a picture but donno how to upload)

Hi, load a picture into the Image Gallery, or use Flickr etc, and cut & paste the link. If you use the Image Gallery, make sure the link is the one that has .jpg on the end, otherwise it won't work.
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

Return to “Newbie Corner”