GPS, iPod & Camera Mounts

What have you got bolted onto your bike, or draining the battery?

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

stevewp
Site Admin

GPS, iPod & Camera Mounts

Postby stevewp » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:28 am

Thought I'd share this with you all.

I use a RAM mount for my GPS, both on the bike and in the car (or at least, in the car before I got the satnav).

The system I use on the bike is this one, on the left hand side. It did take a bit of frigging, in the form of loosening off the grip, fitting the mount, and then tightening up the grip again, as it's a real tight squeeze.

It's a brilliant mount, and has served me well across Europe (yes, I have actually ventured out a good distance on the bike!).

Anyway, for a long time I had thoughts about how nice it'd be to have a camera mount on the bike. I'm not sure it's a brilliant idea (signing your own death-warrant springs to mind!) and I doubt I'd use it much, so I couldn't justify the money. I also had concerns about the camera/camcorder falling off the bike too, which would upset me greatly. However, the other day I suddenly thought about my GPS mount and wondered if there was a camera attachment. Low and behold, there is!

Furthermore, there's also this for your iPod Nano (I just won one the other day!), and just in case you have a need to have everything on there at once, you can try this!

These RAM mounts are brilliant. They hold my GPS so well, I have every faith in them holding the camera/camcorder safely too. You can also buy extra arms etc to make it longer, though I'm not sure you'd want to on the bike. Perhaps in the car they'd be ok. Incidentally, if you were looking for a car mount, this is very good. I'm normally very wary of suction mounts, but this is way better than any other I've ever used, and has never fallen off.

So, expect some footage from me on our next meeting!

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:51 am

Ordered!! ;)

Hopefully it won't end in tears like for this guy

ranger1013
Private

Postby ranger1013 » Wed May 16, 2007 6:16 am

Tomorrow I receive my new Garmin Zumo 550 & bluetooth blueant interphone headset.

Does anyone have experience fitting the zumo - where do you route & connect the power cables. Does the supplied Garmin mounts work ok, or do I need to order the RAM mount mentioned above?

Any pictures anyone has of their GPS mounted would be great.

Cheers
Derek

ranger1013
Private

Garmin Zumo

Postby ranger1013 » Sun May 20, 2007 5:32 am

I got the Zumo 550 fitted easily with the supplied mounts & it works a dream combined with blueant interphone headset - I can strongly recommended this set up $711 on Amazon for the GPS & $145 on ebay for the blueant, so I got GPS, MP3, bike to bike/passenger & cell phone communication that really works well.

Just completed a 1,000 overnight trip to Northern Nevada & it all works brilliantly up to 80mph, over that, blueant struggles a bit.

Cheers
Derek

24c
Site Admin

Re: Garmin Zumo

Postby 24c » Sun May 20, 2007 8:03 am

ranger1013 wrote: it all works brilliantly up to 80mph, over that, blueant struggles a bit.

Struggles :? Do you mean the wind noise vs headset output?

$711 :wtf: over here (UK) it's a rip off in most retail stores. (£579.99)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Tab ... &criteria=

whereas the TomTom Rider2 is quite a bit less at £348.98

http://www.easydevices.co.uk/pp/Dedicat ... _-_UK.html

Either way these products are way cheaper over your way.

PS 1000 overnight, that's a fair distance overnight Derek, you got some padding on that seat/saddle? :wink:
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

ranger1013
Private

Postby ranger1013 » Tue May 22, 2007 7:08 am

Wind/helmet noise - funny, moment I stand up on the bike, the wind noise dies right down. Also wearing ear plugs definitely helps. I have a spare sport screen (much lower height than stock) that I want to try out.

LA - Virginia City, NV & back - lotta fun and I have to say no sore arse, but my knees weren't too happy by the end of it.

US prices much much cheaper & available choice of US or Europe pre-installed maps.

Cheers
Derek

Return to “Accessories”