Bike-to-bike Intercoms

What have you got bolted onto your bike, or draining the battery?

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

Dave Carey

Postby Dave Carey » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:16 pm

:D :D Purely Mobile it is then.

Yeah but..No but....Yeah but...no you see we didn't think we needed one..SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH . Init!!
Your Humble Servant
See YA!! :) :)

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:18 pm

Thing is, if we were allowed to use those radios as such, I'd go for the license, cos it's pretty damned cheap. But since we can't, there's no real point going half legit!

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:34 pm

stevewp wrote:...snip.... But since we can't, there's no real point going half legit!

You mean can't use them with the Autocom. or can't use them legally? :?

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:34 pm

Can't use them legally

Dave Carey

Postby Dave Carey » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:32 pm

:D :D

Thanks Guys but after only two pages on this topic you have managed to confuse the hell out of me.

If 60 quid for a license makes it all legal then it's not a problem then is it..Yeah but..No but...yes but no but see...makes complete sense now.

We buy the radios on a personal basis...and do whatever it is we need to stay legal. Or is there something I am missing since this topic started.

FooK IT!!
Your Humble Servant

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:35 pm

stevewp wrote:Can't use them legally

That's the bit I didn't understand, but I must be stupid...didn't notice the reasons in earlier posts :?
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:05 pm

stevewp wrote: The only other thing though is with regards the license and so on. He recommends that if we're going to get ourselves licensed, we should have one CE approved radio (which these aren't cos they're clones).

To clarify - you MUST have a CE approved radio to operate in this band. If you use one that isn't CE approved, you're breaking the terms of your license, so it's not actually worth having one really. I will check whether there's anything to tie in your license to your purchases. ie, if there's no way they can see whether or not you've actually bought an approved radio, it may still be worth having the license.

But, to be honest, what chance is there of getting caught when you're on bikes? Although we are licensed HAMs and use the bands correctly, we don't give callsigns or anything when on the bikes cos we can't be bothered. So we're basically pirating. And we've never had any problems. My chum reckons this band is monitored even less than the one we're talking about using.

The cheapest approved radio would be about £150, so it's starting to become quite an outlay if we go the fully legal route.

I'll keep investigating though.

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:34 pm

There's no record of a persons purchase of a CE approved radio, so if we did get a license, they wouldn't go wondering why we hadn't bought a radio.

However, the advice is, if you don't bother with the radio, don't bother with the license. Have both or neither. I suggest neither.

Dave Carey

Postby Dave Carey » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:36 am

8) 8)

Agreed and simple...mobile only no licence and less cost

Win Win!!

Ahoy there my hearties or some such crap
Your Humble Servant

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:04 am

Finger's crossed I can get over there Saturday, but we're supposed to be going to a wedding reception, so I may struggle :(

Dave Carey

Postby Dave Carey » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:18 pm

8) 8)
Steve you young Buck,

When you can pull yourself off the nest can you please advise as to wether or not you/your mate can supply a radio to someone VHF or whatever with a range in excess off 3miles, ariel accepted, that with out too much fuss can be programmed tuned or whatever yu radio buffs callit, to talk rider to rider.

At last look they were around 50 60 english pounds in this thread.

Would certainly like to get sorted by end of year.

So if you find the time good buddy...if not just point me in the right direction with some factoids etc...

Thanx alot :)
Your Humble Servant

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:26 pm

Miserable git - can't a young man have his holiday? ;)

Spoke to chummy a week before I went away and his good days and mine didn't coincide :(

So will ring him again tonight and see when he's free, but unless it's tomorrow night, it won't be before Tamworth.

In direct answer to your question, yes he can supply you with radios that will work to that range. What I'm trying to find out is whether they're better than the UHF radios myself and friends are running at present.

The price of radios was whatever I said before (I think it was £50 without looking back through wasn't it?) and antennas won't be much on top (around the £15-20 mark I would have thought). All programmed up as you wish.

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:43 pm

Still no sodding joy getting together with him, so it'll be after this weekends little do.

I'm on nights next week and will talk to him during that week to get a firm time for the week after. So....putting my head on the chopper...I really REALLY should have more info within 2 weeks.

Rob

Postby Rob » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:13 pm

wer'll bring ours over to the UK so you can have a look, thats better then just writing bollox about it....
See Ya...Rob

I want to die like my grandfather... in his sleep,
Not screaming... like his passenger...

http://www.gts1000.nl

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:15 pm

Harsh but fair! :(

Return to “Accessories”