Grip-Lock... Handy, portable bike security....quality kit.

What have you got bolted onto your bike, or draining the battery?

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

webwanderer
Sergeant First Class

Grip-Lock... Handy, portable bike security....quality kit.

Postby webwanderer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:49 am

Guys,

I was looking for some form of fast, cheap security for the GTS for when I leave her in public spaces. I have used a chain previously, but have been known to ride off forgetting to remove it. So I leave the chain at home for when the bike is left in the garage.
I looked at the disc locks, but as the GTS only has a centrally mounted front disc I would only ever be able to attach the lock to the back wheel. Didn't fancy that.

I did a bit of web surfing the other week and found this...

http://www.grip-lock.com

This little beauty called a Grip-Lock clamps onto your front handbrake and throttle. I got me one and am very pleased with it. Suits my purpose fine. It's highly visible... you can't ride off with it on :oops:... and it keeps the brake on when installed which means parking on slopes has a much lesser chance of the bike sliding off it's sidestand.

The website has it for $87 ozzie dollar, but I got mine from Ebay for $57 which would have to be around 35 quid for you pommies.

I'm very happy with it and thought I'd share.
Regards,
Webwanderer (Sam)

"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you." - Carl Jung

24c
Site Admin

Re: Grip-Lock... Handy, portable bike security....quality ki

Postby 24c » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:31 am

webwanderer wrote:The website has it for $87 ozzie dollar, but I got mine from Ebay for $57 which would have to be around 35 quid for you pommies.

Thanks for that, and BTW, these are £45 on their website and also on eBay after having a quick look for us UK guys...
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

webwanderer
Sergeant First Class

Postby webwanderer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:30 am

Hi 24c,

Interesting that...It's very rare we get something cheaper down here compared to what you guys in the UK or americas can get for. As the Grip Lock was developed in New Zealand may be for once it is cheaper to sell them in Australia than in the rest of the world.

Even at £45, I think they're great value. The yellow ones the one to go for. It's the one most visible and if you change bikes you don't need to color match it.
Regards,

Webwanderer (Sam)

13blades
Staff Sergeant

Postby 13blades » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Looks like they go for $79 in the States on their web & ebay. I favor those pink ones!!!!

Pachi
Sergeant Major

Postby Pachi » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:53 pm

Very interesting, because I do not trust the alarm the bike went with when I purchased it. I may get one.

Thanks very much!.

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:35 pm

13blades wrote: I favor those pink ones!!!!
What are we talking about now!!! :shock:

They'd be good for keeping the brakes hard, because keeping the lever squeezed in can sometimes reduce the sponginess! 8)
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

13blades
Staff Sergeant

Postby 13blades » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:23 am

Don't they offer pretty in PINK on your side of the big lake? I could get you one.
94' GTS1000, 93' TDM850, 77' XS750

wheeler
Master Sergeant

Postby wheeler » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:52 pm

this way the brake fluid starts to drip out of the master cilynder way faster than in normal conditions....

crusoe
Sergeant First Class

Postby crusoe » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:22 am

Hi All,

I personally don't like the idea of keeping a high pressure locked in the braking system for long periods of time, it could lead to leakage/seeping through seals.

However, as a short term security measure (in car parks etc) it sounds a good idea and am seriously thinking of getting one to carry around.

All the best

Robinson Crusoe

It's Friday, wonder if I'll see anyone on the beach today!!!

Doug Long
Sergeant Major

Postby Doug Long » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:19 am

I've used one of these ever since I got my GTS in 2002. Excellent bit of kit, and unlike a disc lock, you can't try and ride off with it still fitted! (Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, twice :oops: )

webwanderer
Sergeant First Class

Postby webwanderer » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:30 am

The amount of brake lever pressure is easily adjustable and at it's furthest setting only locks the lever and handlebar without actually applying any brake pressure.

I like to have mine apply minimal pressure, enough to stop it rolling. I wouldn't recommend having it set with the lever fully pressed in.
Regards,

Webwanderer (Sam)

crusoe
Sergeant First Class

Postby crusoe » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:20 am

Hi Chaps,

Bought a nice bright green 8) Grip Lock yesterday.

I like it as it is very compact and not too heavy, also, as previously stated you don't need to apply pressure to the braking system (which was my initial concern) for it to be effective.

£35 from the Honda Dealer in Worthing, who told me that it has been known for potential thieves to remove the brake lever pivot bolt to overcome the device.

This didn't put me off as a determined thief can nick any bike no matter what security device is installed.

Regards

the dude
First Sergeant

Postby the dude » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:32 am

Hey men well I have to chime in on this one, the stock lock is the best/good enough, plus no one is going to take our bikes, most thefs will take one look and say, what the hell am I guna do with this, and were am I going to sell it.
There not dumb.
Our bikes are easy to track.
They know.
Take the seat off and unplug the battery.
Done if your that paranoid.
Later The Dude

Brainstorm

Visual deterrent

Postby Brainstorm » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:25 pm

Wish I had one of these on my GTS a few years ago. The thief was prepared to bust the ign lock and the seat lock and the garage door lock. Sheriff found my bike laying in the middle of a county road. Point being, the added visual deterrent maybe more useful than the tougher stock ignition lock. I got my baby back but she still sits awaiting ~$2000+ worth of parts and some TLC. I figure they dumped it out the back of a moving pickup truck, it's scary bad damage to plastics. :cry:

Mark Henry
Sergeant First Class

Postby Mark Henry » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:52 pm

Just got one and what a super bit of kit!

Simple but effective
Mark

Return to “Accessories”