Stebel Nautilus How To for the GTS

What have you got bolted onto your bike, or draining the battery?

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

Bill
Command Sergeant Major

Stebel Nautilus How To for the GTS

Postby Bill » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:41 pm

there's much hype over the Stebel Nautilius horn from Italy for valid reason; the sucker is loud. Not deafening as you mite expect, but louder than any bike horn I've had. the problem with it for our GTS though, even the "mini" compact version is it's bulk.

Well, it comes apart and can be made to fit. Buy some 5/16" OD hose, 2 small hose clamps and a coupler for the hose. Also have some permatex silicone handy.

The air compressor portion is secured to the the plastic horn by a wrap around black plastic housing/bracket. By looking at it, you can tell just where you have to pry at the locking tab to separate them.

With them apart, using a Dremel or equal, cut off the portion of the plastic that contain the air vent "tower" for the compressor. Take the part you cut off, put a tiny bit of silicone on it (and around the flange that forms the inlet hole to the compressor, and press it to the compressor. I put black tape on it to secure it in place while the silicone dried. I'll probably leave the tape in place.

After removing yer old tooter, remove the bracket & put it in a vice. Heat it up a bit with a propane torch (or just use brute strength) and bent it so that, when installed, it will hold the compressor in a vertical position, as required by the instructions. It's something ya can't explain, ya just have to screw with till ya get it right.

Install the compressor and run some of that clear tubing up thru the plastic and back into the bike's recesses, to avoid it sucking in dirt n water - the compressor killers I'm told. Putting a loop in the tube wont hurt I guess.

When installing the compressor, the sucker has to be tightened down to 50pds. To make sure it doesn't fall, I also used some steel wire thru the little hole in the mounting bracket.

Now take the remaining black portion (the horn) & dremel a slit in the remaining loop. The slit is to hold it in place with another hose clamp on the steel cross bar directly under the headlite It happens to fit perfectly (facing down) in the space between the bottom of the headlite & lower front edge of the nose. Insert the hose coupler into the hole for the horn with some kind of permanent glue -I used permatex hi-temp black silicone. then connect a small length of hose from the compressor tot he horn. I added a little flat rubber sticky strip to the top of it to avoid any rattle.

Finally, wire it up using heavy gauge wire from the battery, using the supplied relay.

here's a pic:

[/img]

Dave Carey

Postby Dave Carey » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:46 pm

8) 8)

Thanks a lot Bill...too much too late..God how I have wanted to blast the Cocksuckers off the road at times. Still I'll have to wait till my next bike.
Meanwhile I'll just shoehorn all the arseholes I come across with my (almost) 3 ton Van. It doesnt go very fast but fuck does it make oncoming traffic move to the side of the road.. (When I have right of way of course).. something that was not forthcoming when I met traffic head to head on the bike.

By the way is this site a well gaurded secret in the US. Just wondering as it is UK Hosted but not A UK Site per se...
Your Humble Servant
See YA!! :) :)

Bill
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Bill » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:24 pm

thank you there Davey! Alot of gents use these units on their cages as well. Installation is much easier though.

As far as US awareness though, me thinks many NAGTSers may know of the site, but not many may have registered. I was quite pleasantly surprised to see how much info had amassed on this site between my first visit when Steve announced it on the listserve & a year or so later when I finally logged in.

rooyenan
Site Admin

Postby rooyenan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:51 pm

And if, for some reason, the Nautilus is hard to get, you can always do what I've done!!
An old horn from a Ford Fiesta (first car my son had) is rather loud!! Isn't it Dale???
It fits perfectly!!!

Sir Avalon
- - - - - - - - - - - -

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:49 pm

Nice to see you're fiddling Bill, bet you'll wet your pants when you bolt it all together. 8)

Dave Carey wrote:It doesnt go very fast but fuck does it make oncoming traffic move to the side of the road.. (When I have right of way of course).. something that was not forthcoming when I met traffic head to head on the bike

I find that hard to believe :P
I would have thought the leather clad Ninja the width of a Chinese junk would have had the same effect. :evil: :)
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:51 pm

Ansco, they are not hard to get and reasonable too

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEBEL-Nautilus-T ... dZViewItem

PS Bought one, now if only I could develop the finger trigger to be a reflex action, instead of just yanking on the bars and heave hoing...hmmm :lol:

PPS Was yours the "compact' model Billy N ?
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

Bill
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Bill » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:04 am

yessir it is. thank goodness my middle finger is already trained (being raised in NY, ya get used to using it), but the thumb is pretty quick on the draw too :D - a necessity in an area where 10 million people within a radius of 25 or so miles are all out to get ya!

Bill
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Bill » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:37 am

here's a shot from the front all buttoned up - notice the "horn" part facing down just under the nose on the right as you look at the pix. No water problems there!

Return to “Accessories”