Best Before Date

How much do you value your life? That's what you always hear when choosing a new lid, so maybe it's time to tell us all too!

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

Dale
Command Sergeant Major

Best Before Date

Postby Dale » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:26 pm

I got my Arai RV sometime ago and think that the next purchase will be the Caberg flip up which has the inner visor as this would suit me most, just hope they are as comfortable as the Arai for sure they are better priced.

So my question....when should I buy one?

The Arai is now approx. 4 going on 5 years old, I remember that helmets should be changed even if they are not damaged at certain periods but what is it, anyone know?

Dale

rooyenan
Site Admin

Postby rooyenan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:31 pm

As far as I know, the period advised is 4 years....

So have a look out for a new helmet!!

Sir Avalon

So you'll also stay "Best before"
- - - - - - - - - - - -

OmegaChassis
Sergeant Major

Re: Best Before Date

Postby OmegaChassis » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:41 pm

Dale wrote:I got my Arai RV sometime ago and think that the next purchase will be the Caberg flip up which has the inner visor as this would suit me most, just hope they are as comfortable as the Arai for sure they are better priced.

So my question....when should I buy one?

The Arai is now approx. 4 going on 5 years old, I remember that helmets should be changed even if they are not damaged at certain periods but what is it, anyone know?

Dale

Seeming you have a Arai helmet Dale did you ever take advantage of the
six monthly 'Helmet service' by their technicians which are offered during the 5 year warranty ?

Dale
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Dale » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:39 am

Erm no never new it had :cry:

slarty-bart-farst
Master Sergeant

Postby slarty-bart-farst » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:50 pm

I am waitin for Nolans next generation see if they look a little better and have improved pheriple vision. Don't think I buy Arai again, too expensive and loads of other makes have caught up plus UK gove bringing out a new series of tests that will grade the protective performance of lids so Ill wait for that to come in.
Be interesting to 2 c where Arai come in that new test.

Blot Blaster Bartle B
"Id sooner be happy than right any day" And are you? "No not really....... that's where it all falls to the ground"

Doug Long
Sergeant Major

Postby Doug Long » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:28 pm

Dale, see post on related topic of Nolans. But as for the Caberg, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. :shock: I tried one and it felt about as substantial as an Ice Cream carton on my head.

The flip front is very flimsy and I don’t think it would offer much protection in a spill. It felt more like an open face lid, with just an add on chin bar. I am no muscle man but I could twist and squash the helmet quite considerably with my hands without much effort.

Try lots of them, there are plenty of flip ups available, pays yer money and takes your choice.

As for the original question of longevity. It depends again on the manufacturer, quality, and mostly the use. They do say 4 to 5 years, but if you were riding every day I would reduce that, and if you are like me, riding once in a blue moon, then considerably longer than that. If it is comfortable and is not physically damaged, and not been dropped (too often!) then I would stay with the ARAI for a while longer.

But then again, being a Yorkshireman, I would have thought you would make it last at least twice as long before considering spending money changing it!! :twisted:

OmegaChassis
Sergeant Major

Postby OmegaChassis » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:58 pm

[quote="Doug Long"]Dale, see post on related topic of Nolans. But as for the Caberg, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. :shock: I tried one and it felt about as substantial as an Ice Cream carton on my head.

I think a paper bag over your head would have been more suitable
Doug! :twisted: :twisted: :wink: :wink:

Bill
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Bill » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:38 pm

it's not necessarily the mileage on em that makes em old; it's the fact that with time, the foam that's supposed to be there to absorb the bump starts to degrade. so, basically, whether you use it everyday or once a year, once those years get by...it's time to change.

Doug Long
Sergeant Major

Postby Doug Long » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:55 pm

OmegaChassis wrote:I think a paper bag over your head would have been more suitable

Pot to kettle, come in please, over.
At least you can tell when I have not got my helmet on! :lol:

OmegaChassis
Sergeant Major

Postby OmegaChassis » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:51 pm

Doug Long wrote:
OmegaChassis wrote:I think a paper bag over your head would have been more suitable

Pot to kettle, come in please, over.
At least you can tell when I have not got my helmet on! :lol:

Your only jealous of my good looks. :lol: :lol:

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:58 pm

OmegaChassis wrote:Your only jealous of my good looks. :lol: :lol:

Well it wouldn't be your good locks!! :P :wink:
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

slarty-bart-farst
Master Sergeant

Postby slarty-bart-farst » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:35 am

Re carton on head. Flip front manufacturers like Roof actualy get their lids approved under the open face tests as they are just that an open face with a pop studded on mask that gives the appearance of a full face when fliped down (and yes Ive had one and they are crap!).

Second the thoughts on the Caberb compared to the Nolan they feel very flimsey.

I suspect there are no specific tests for flip fronts maybe they are all tested under the open face regs?
Faced with this I just went with my feelings and the Nolan was in a different league.

Hopefully with the new government tests flip fronts will get a specific test, I suspect the Nolan will do well but this is for sure no flip front will be as strong as a full face.

S B Flabbergasted
"Id sooner be happy than right any day" And are you? "No not really....... that's where it all falls to the ground"

Return to “Helmets”