Nolan helmets

How much do you value your life? That's what you always hear when choosing a new lid, so maybe it's time to tell us all too!

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

fretjes
Private

Nolan helmets

Postby fretjes » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:53 pm

Watch out,
I've just been informed by my dealer that Nolan will come soon with new models of their helmets on the market. So the 102 and other models will go out. I believe this is very true because one of the biggest postorder firms in The Netherlands is clearly selling out the current models, you can notice this because the sizes are limited plus they say that when sold out there will not ad new ones.
At the moment the flip-up has the sunvisor on the outside and that will go on the inside of the main visor.
Fred

Dale
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Dale » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:01 pm

I take it you have a Nolan M8, any good?

fretjes
Private

Postby fretjes » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:56 pm

Sorry, no, Dale
I have a Nolan 100 Flip-up.
A good helmet at a good price with the pinlock-visor. I think this is the best solution for fogged up visors. but the helmet is old and the inside foam is deteriorating (?) so I was looking for a new one. my first choice was the new Shoei, mutitec but that one cost €450,00 and I think that's a lot of money. So I will wait for the Nolan, unless someone has a better suggestion.
Fred

Dale
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Dale » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:08 pm

I fancy a flip up but have found a problem with the one's that I tried on before, the chin bar is..against the chin too much.

I must have a protruding chin or is it due to the GTS forum as in, taking it on ;)

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:17 pm

I fancy a quiet one, i read some tests in some Bike mags the other day, and the same guys who make the BMW ones came out top...can't remember who.

Must be getting old :shock:

PS Like Bluetooth built in too 8)
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

fretjes
Private

Postby fretjes » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:20 pm

Dale,
I don't know if you have tried the Nolan. I found that the roomin this helmet quite large but then again I don't know the extend of your chin
Fred

Dale
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Dale » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:53 pm

Hehe, no Fred never tried the Nolan's, will give em a try :)

Bill
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Bill » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:21 am

got my multitech from seller Zippyflea on us ebay; cheapest price out there. Could not go back to regularly wearing a full face w/o the flip up. Yeah they're not snell rated...cause they haven't been submitted to snell for testing...but who cares??? if ya followed the whole rating controversy, ya probly don't want snell for 80% of the riding you do.

Dale - correct on the chin part; dunno why they make the fit so close, but I'm not Jay Leno, so unless I'm gritting my teeth & extending my jaw, it doesn't touch...but it is oh so close.

slarty-bart-farst
Master Sergeant

Postby slarty-bart-farst » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:48 am

They make the chin part close cause further away makes it stick up too high when open, design compromise me thinks.
Hey I can go back on the foum, cant go on on my Isle of Man PC but this UK one works weird! Anyway I have a Nolan flip front X100 and have used it for 4 years, also I compare to my Arai RXX>
1) The Nolan is the only one with a cam over action on the flip so instead of rotating around a center point it moves out, up then down. The end result on openeing it moves away from face then drops close to the shell so it points up in the air less when open (look less of a tw*t!
2) The pin lock is superb
3) The rachet chin strap can be tightened as you go so as your head settles into the lid you can take up slack (more important than payin the earth for an Arai)
4) It is quiter than the Arai (but then so are most lids!)
5) It is heavyer than most conventional lids (but still its OK for all day)
6) The opening mech is excellent and single handed (either LH or RH)
7) Nolan are fitting blue tooth next

Sorry about spelling spell check vanished
8) More limited pheriple vision than the Arai, this I find a pain, Arai's have very good pheriple view and this means for me I can see mirrors and have less blind spot. On a long journey this makes a big difference for me so I stick with the Arai.
"Id sooner be happy than right any day" And are you? "No not really....... that's where it all falls to the ground"

24c
Site Admin

NOT NOLAN HELMETS

Postby 24c » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:36 pm

slarty-bart-farst wrote:Hey I can go back on the forum, can't go on on my Isle of Man PC but this UK one works, weird!

Slarty, the log in details must be corrupted on the IoM one, they should both work if one does...are you sure it's plugged into the internet? :oops:

:lol: :twisted: :P :wink:

PS I can log in here too
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

fretjes
Private

Postby fretjes » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:20 pm

A few comments on the remarks of slarty
- The Arai cost a fortune compared with the Nolan.
- As for the sight and the width of it, I could'nt compare because I never own a Arai but driving the Nolan N100 from the Netherlands to Spain and touring there over a period of hree weeks, a total of around 4500km and no problem with it
- As for driving in the rain and the fogging up of the visor I never had a helmet that could beat it.
But then again discussions about helmet are like discussions about women: you can't go without but everybody has its own opinion.
Fred

slarty-bart-farst
Master Sergeant

Postby slarty-bart-farst » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:44 pm

Find a good one that suites you and look after it, a flip front for immeadiate access is an advantage...........women that is LOL
Memories Memories..ahhh
"Id sooner be happy than right any day" And are you? "No not really....... that's where it all falls to the ground"

OmegaChassis
Sergeant Major

Nolan Helmets

Postby OmegaChassis » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:19 pm

fretjes wrote:A few comments on the remarks of slarty
- The Arai cost a fortune compared with the Nolan.

Fred

Hello Fred

Yes, 'Arai's' might be a little expensive, but then again how many helmet
manufacturers offer a '5 year warranty' on their products and free 6 monthly
servicing of the customers helmets within that period!
Iv'e been using their helmets for years and can't fault them. :D :D
I don't think they have done a bad job for a company that has been around for the last 70 years!

Doug Long
Sergeant Major

Postby Doug Long » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:15 pm

Schuberth make the BMW ones. I have a C2, allegedly the quietest flip front on the market. Expensive, but a quality bit of kit. Vorsprung Durch Tecknik and all that crap.

Return to “Helmets”