Euro Treffen 2005 report

This is the place to talk about past, present and future meetings in mainland Europe

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

Doug Long
Sergeant Major

Euro Treffen 2005 report

Postby Doug Long » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:40 am

Posted Tuesday, August 23, 2005 @ 20:06:46

TOO LATE YOU MISSED IT!
James (my lad) and I got back from the Black Forest this morning, bit knacked but had an excellent time. You can check out some of my photos here. http://www.byphotos.com/album/1722828
Travelled down with some Dutch and German GTS riders and the run down was scorching hot, until the last 30 miles or so when we were hit by a megga thunderstorm in the mountains. Got a bit dodgy with the amounts of water and the wind but all got there in one piece . It didn't help that I had forgotten to pack my overboots and I also discovered that my gloves had lost their ability to keep out water. Bugger.

Thankfully the storm passed over and Saturday mroning the weather was only a bit damp and overcast. 56 GTS from around Europe set off at about ten on a 100 mile ride around the Schwarzwald. Stopping for smoke breaks and lunch on the way. The lunch stop in Obertal was excellent with the eatery putting up a bog marquee and displaying a banner welcoming the GTS riders.

As the day progressed the weather got better and better and by the l;ate afternoon the sun was shining brightly and the temperatures were back up again. Just in time to got to the beer tent

Friday and Saturday evenings consisted of socializing, drinking, an auction, drinking, prize giving, and drinking with riders from Germany, The Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden and me.

Got just beaten top the long distance award (for the 3rd year running ) by Per from Sweden who had done 1500 km.

On the Saturday night a vote was taken to decide where next years would be and it will be in Holland. At the village of Arcen near the German border just above the city of Venlo.

It is only just over 200 miles from Calais. So a cheap ferry crossing and an easy ride to do in a day from home, even for 'oop northers like me. As soon as Rob Van Tooten (next years organiser) gives the dates I'll let you all know, but it will be in August, probably the 3rd weekend. Oh yeah, and the meeting venue is by a brewery, not that that would interest anyone. .

Hope to see as many as possible of you at Stafford. Got to change my front brake pads now though as all the twisties has finally killed them off (also the little diversion around the Nurburgring on the way back!)

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:41 am

Posted Wednesday, August 24, 2005 @ 17:25:51

So just a bit of drinking then??!! Lol
Spounds like the test of us missed out badly. Hopefully will be able to make it next year.

Dave Carey

Postby Dave Carey » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:42 am

Posted Thursday, August 25, 2005 @ 07:13:20

Doug,
Thanks for sharing the experience, enjoyed the pics.

Dave

Doug Long
Sergeant Major

Postby Doug Long » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:43 am

Posted Tuesday, September 6, 2005 @ 11:27:38

More Pics
Check out the link http://www.eskk.nu/leslie/gtstreff05.htm for some more piccies of the Treffen. They come from Leslie a ginormous (6'10" ) Dane who lives in Sweden. But he is a very very nice chap.
Doug L

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:43 am

Posted Tuesday, September 6, 2005 @ 12:24:09

At least, you always tell him he's a nice man, lest he use that size on you!! Lol

Artur Kowalski
Master Sergeant

Postby Artur Kowalski » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:44 am

Posted Tuesday, September 6, 2005 @ 22:30:12

Well done Doug!
Thanks for the report and the abundance of photos.
Given Holland is withing easy reach of Calais, it would be a shame not to put my name down for next year's meet.
All the best,
Artur

Return to “Organised European (Mainland) Events”