Dave Carey aka Bear

Somewhere to pay tribute to those who have paid the ultimate price for their love of bikes.

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

24c
Site Admin

Dave Carey aka Bear

Postby 24c » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:33 pm

It is with great sadness I have just received the news that Dave Carey aka Bear passed away recently.

Dave had been plagued with ill health, worsening debilitations and increasing pain levels as time went by. I last spoke to him a few months ago, and he was living on his own in sheltered accommodation, and was resigned to using a wheelchair, because he was unable to walk unaided.

He was a larger than life figure, who came over as cantankerous to many, but he was a great friend to me, surprisingly as he didn't tolerate fools. He had a varied life, and it was whilst working in the USA, where his problems began. A nurse administered the wrong serum, and this caused organ damage and then left him in a coma for days. He was never able to recover fully from this accident, and it was to eventually be the cause of his death years later.

He had to sell his bike, because he knew he would never ride it again, and although I had the black bike he could use, he was never going to ride it, as he couldn't get insured if he disclosed details of his health. The reality of slowly regressing into a new self caused him angst on more than a few occasions, as the differences of his life before and after started to hit him.

He was an adventurous and well spirited motorcyclist, and the runs I had around his Haworth home on my bike, and in the car going cross country in the family hatchback, racing to get his bike fixed will stay with me forever.

Rest in Peace buddy, because you have found it at last.

[/b]
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

rooyenan
Site Admin

Postby rooyenan » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:58 pm

It's not really news to expect at the beginning of the year, but I think that's life!
I'm glad I can say I was a friend of Bearey as well. Sorry to hear he passed away, but maybe it's better this way (at least for him it is!)

Bearey, my friend, you're going to be missed!!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ansco

Sir Avalon
- - - - - - - - - - - -

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:07 pm

rooyenan wrote:....I think that's life!

Too true, as I had a wonderful start to the New Year with the birth of a new grandson, at around the same time Dave passed away.

As you say Ansco, better for Dave now, as his quality of life was deteriorating.
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

Pachi
Sergeant Major

Postby Pachi » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:55 pm

Sorry to learn this sad news. Rest in peace, Bear. My condolences to his friends and family.

ryszard
Sergeant First Class

Postby ryszard » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:07 am

Sad,sad news.I only met him twice and he could certainly be classed as a great character of which there are too few about.My condolences and thoughts to his family and friends.Regards Ryszard..

Chris
Sergeant Major

Postby Chris » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:45 am

Daddy Bear, rest in Peace.
My condolances to his family
Cheers,
Chris

Those you can't impress with knowledge, confuse with nonsense... :wtf:
"Limited edition" Black, 150.000Km

Brian Steers
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Brian Steers » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:47 am

Sorry to hear the news. I only met Dave once, when I bought the green bike off him. He was polite and very helpful but sad to see the bike go. He still had his Goldwing then (I think) which suited his riding better as his health worsened. My regards to his family.

Biggles

wheeler
Master Sergeant

Postby wheeler » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:45 pm

may he rest in peace, sincere condolances to his family...

Cyber--
Sergeant First Class

Postby Cyber-- » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:31 pm

My condolances.

I don't think I've ever met Dave, but it is always sad to see somebody go.

Daf
Master Sergeant

Postby Daf » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:05 pm

I never met Bear but looked forward to meeting him at a UK meet-up, its a shame to have lost another character, and a reminder to enjoy the time you have before its too late.

My condolances to his family and friends.

Return to “Fallen Riders”