Front Cover

Submissions for each month of 2006 to be made here

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

stevewp
Site Admin

Front Cover

Postby stevewp » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:24 am

Right guys, this is perhaps the hardest one to do. And in fact, if I'd known at the start that we would need a front cover pic, I would have opened this thread then, as I think it needs to be the best pic of them all really.

Part of me thinks we should have a picture that isn't already a winner, but at the same time, to have a 'runner-up' from one of the months makes it automatically not the best picture. So part of me thinks we should say different pictures.

At the end of the day, I think you should all just submit what you think, past winner or not, and we'll chose a winner from the whole batch - no point making it too complicated! Lol

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:36 am

I'll have a stab at this with a couple of fresh ones, though I don't like them as much as the first two.

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:03 am

In my opinion, one word answer, no

Why, flourescent green stripe distracts from the composition, the lines of the bike we are familar with, and to be a cover shot it has to be special.

Rooyenan's mirror shot is clever in that it takes a bit of the bike and inverts the composition into it, most of us tend to compose the bike within a backdrop, parks, fields, buildings or other bikes.

Those USA boys managed a few grand expansive backdrops for their GTSs and shot in some great light, and also I think the Dutch guys got some good Alpine shots. There'll be nothing coming from this neck of woods, cold and dank up North, no colour in the trees,as all the leaves have dropped off!
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:06 am

I do like Ansco's mirror shot, but I think we need the bike, in all it's glory, nice and big on the front cover.

The more arty ones where the bike merges with the background are great for the monthly ones, but not for the cover.

Autumnal (yes, I know we're in winter, but a bit of artistry.....) pictures make for some of the best imho, so I wouldn't let that put you off. Besides, it's always grim up North! ;)

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:10 am

OK SteveWP, just played with one of your images

Which is better?

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:13 am

Yeah, I was always slightly unsure about the angle. Part of me liked it, and part of me didn't. The general consensus of anyone who's seen it, has been the same as you - that the angle was a no-no.

The framing could have been a touch better too - if only it had been a digital camera!

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:25 am

I was only asking the question, most of the time we are just snapping pictures whereas professional photographers work on compostion, that doesn't mean you can't get better. :)

It's very easy to be critical, but you've always got to be wary the beauty in the eye of the beholder thing isn't working against you.

stevewp wrote:...snip... if only it had been a digital camera!

Well you can scan them, and post edit...besides you'd better get one before the little 'un arrives, 'cos you don't want to cock up them shots do you, it takes about nine months before you get another chance. :lol: :twisted:

Be good.

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:37 am

I have got a digital, just prefer to use the SLR for nice shots like I was taking for this. In saying that, at 5.5MP, the digital is very good. Just doesn't seem he same - maybe just cos it's so small.

I have to say, I was very happy with the cd that was produced of these prints. But the biggest advantage of the digital is that you can review it right there and then, and take the shot again if needed.

And you're right about the beholder part. It's such a subjective thing, photography. Sadly, I'm more of a technical man than arty, so often find it hard to see what'd make a generally considered great photo. But practice and people's opinions will help all of us get better, so I always welcome the comments (even if I'm secretely gutted sometimes! Lol)

Andrew Schauer

Postby Andrew Schauer » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:10 pm

I didn't realize a real calendar was going to be made from all the monthly winners, very cool.
If you need a higher resolution version of the shots I did, just holler Steve.
Now if the damn roads would ever dry up here, I could get some nice snow/GTS pictures....
Andrew Schauer
1993 GTS 1000

Andrew Schauer

Postby Andrew Schauer » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:48 pm

I haven't been able to pick a favorite out of these, so I'll let everybody else decide if they're worth a darn:

Now that I look at them some more, I think the last is my favorite.
Andrew Schauer

1993 GTS 1000

24c
Site Admin

December

Postby 24c » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:29 pm

Well this shot never won anything, and I still think it's got merit, don't you Dale :)

and this is what a blue one looks like without panniers, and good light works wonders on any digi camera. :p

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:16 am

Any more offerings for the front cover? I thought people would be clammering for this!

There's not much to pick from at the moment, and we need to decide quick!

Chris
Sergeant Major

Postby Chris » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:21 pm

I would like to suggest following:

I have left a small section on the right blank, we can add text there.
Something like "this calendar was created by and for enthousiasts of the GTS 1000"
Suggestions for the text are welcome....
Cheers,
Chris

Those you can't impress with knowledge, confuse with nonsense... :wtf:
"Limited edition" Black, 145000Km

24c
Site Admin

Photo montage

Postby 24c » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:49 pm

Good idea Chris, you could use a photo montage of all the best shots submitted perhaps not just the winners. That way the images can be smaller, and there is less need for a white space, and then SteveWP at least gets an entry. :shock:

Most of the year you are not looking at the cover, so it's not an issue for us, having his pictures in. :evil: :twisted: :wink:
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

rooyenan
Site Admin

Postby rooyenan » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:41 pm

My "to-be" daughter in-law created this front page.....

Sir Avalon
- - - - - - - - - - - -

Return to “2006”