Forum Update

For testing mods etc

Moderators: 24c, Dale, Rob, Dave Carey

stevewp
Site Admin

Forum Update

Postby stevewp » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:23 am

Hi guys,

I tried updating the forum to the latest version quite some time back and failed. In all honesty, I'm sure alot of that was down to simply forgetting how to do everything properly. It's been so many years since I changed anything on here that I've lost the feel of it all. In saying that, it all looked good - just came up with an error at the final hurdle.

Well, I think it'd be good to get it updated. I know we would lose the mods we have but I think alot of them are included with the newer version of phpbb.

I'd also like to install the Tapatalk plugin, which would allow smartphone users to take advantage nicely.

So, the question is - does anyone fancy having a try at it? I know some of you guys are far more adept at these things and probably run sql servers at home, allowing you to fully test things before launching them live. I have always just plumbed for the live option (though I've always set things up so that I can undo my work quickly enough).

If you fancy a try, let me know what you need and I'll sort it out......

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:58 am

Steve,

I'll give it a go, I used later versions of phpBB, another BB called SMF, one I must try, a new kid on the block, bbPRESS, which is done by WordPress.

I use the Tapatalk plug in on a couple of my sites, but the only bad thing for me is the slow broadband in the sticks, so the upload & backups would take their time, and I've been having dropouts recently, but seems to have stabilised these lat two days ...fingers crossed.

However. I could hook onto a fast line by going into town, my sons' connections are both 20X faster than mine!

The only concern is we'd need to back up the Image Gallery, because that was a MOD if I remember, but newer versions have better spam controls, and it only means that the first few posts from new members have to be authorised by a mod

Mike
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

rooyenan
Site Admin

Postby rooyenan » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:50 am

I'm also moderator for the Ditch PC800 club; www.pc800.nl.
We use SMF there with a mod to prevent spammers.

If you like I could give you access!

Sir Avalon
- - - - - - - - - - - -

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:01 pm

The image gallery should be part of MK Portal, which is what gives us the look. It's not part of the forum, IIRC.

So, in theory, it shouldn't be at risk.....

I suppose my main concern is the loss of all the posts and profile information. In theory, this shouldn't be under threat if we stick to phpBB, but you never know.

rooyenan
Site Admin

Postby rooyenan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:00 am

Since most boards are powered by an underlying database, conversion to a new database should not be too much of a hassel. (export and import using scripting).
The backup of the DB is the most important. That would conserve all the posts and profile information! Only concern could be the passwords, since they can be stored encrypted...

Sir Avalon
- - - - - - - - - - - -

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:34 am

This is part of why I'd like to stick with phpBB. It will only be an update that way, rather than a whole new change with importing of data etc

Return to “Test Thread”