Neutral switch

Need help with something? Ask here

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

Toon
Private

Neutral switch

Postby Toon » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:52 am

Hi there, hopefully someone can help me with the following problem:
During a vacation trip in Poland suddenly the Neutral light didn't work, no issues however with changing gears.
after a good night sleep the neutral showed some life and burned normal but after a short while it stopped once again (I could notice that by the lack of flickering from 1 to 2 and during the stops at stoplights).
Next morning no signal but after openening the throttle the light came on for just a moment.
I have to start with contracted clutch otherwise the starting procedure is the similar to that with an active jiffy.

any clues for somebody?
greetings Toon

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Re: Neutral switch

Postby jorojin » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:28 pm

Sounds like a dodgy neutral switch. The neutral switch https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/ ... ectrical-1 item 6 on diagram it is down near the gear change spindle. It is just a switch that makes a contact on the neutral (-ve) feed to the lamp when you put the gearbox in to neutral. Because it on the -ve side not the +ve side you have to be careful which way round you put the bulb if you change them to LEDs. See my blog viewtopic.php?f=55&t=3327 page 24. Hope that helps.

Toon
Private

Postby Toon » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:26 am

Thanks, I wasn't sure but it is the most logical one. I will check it this weekend an let you know.
Cheers Toon

Toon
Private

Postby Toon » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:53 pm

Opened the side cover this afternoon, cleansed the sprocket and checked if the switch was still functional with a volt- meter. In the N-pos a current was seen and in 1 the current wasn't there: ergo nothing wrong with the switch. What else? Any ideas would be welcome.

Daf
Master Sergeant

Postby Daf » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:34 am

intermittent bulb, cracked filament ?

Toon
Private

Postby Toon » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:54 am

Next week the coolant system will be removed and I'll be able to remove the switch for further inspection I expect that some faulty wiring inside the switch is causing reduced currency. Direct connection shows no problems with light or wiring. It's always a puzzle......

Return to “Help Required”