Repair advise wanted

Need help with something? Ask here

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

Notteryd
Staff Sergeant

Postby Notteryd » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:42 am

I have tried them on a couple of different bikes. The result turned out at least quite good. It is a candy paint on them so you will have to use the silver paint as a base cote, the next one on top and end it with clear laquer. The difficult part is th mix, because the result and colour is depending on how thick layers you put on of the silver and top layer, a bit tricky but I'm quite sure they deliver the correct colours. Good luck! And if you order the paint from them and have a proffesional to do the job I think it will turn out nice.
/Magnus

Bas
Staff Sergeant

Postby Bas » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Thank you Notteryd for the advise!

Did you order the paint or the lacquer?
I don't know the difference between them except the price.
How much will I need to paint the rear side panel?

Notteryd
Staff Sergeant

Postby Notteryd » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:29 am

Hi Bas
you will need all 3 of them, the silver as base, then the red one to make the correct colour and last the clear laquer for protection, it was more difficult than I thought to get the correct colour, but possible.
If you don't have to redo it to many times I think one aerosol can of 400 ml of each paint should cover both side covers.
/Magnus
and if you have any questions, send them a mail, as I remeber they gave good and quick response.

Pachi
Sergeant Major

Postby Pachi » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:59 pm

I used 300cc to paint both panniers and top case (outer and upper sides) plus rear mudguard, so I am with Notteryd you are way on the safe side with that quantity.

Bas
Staff Sergeant

Postby Bas » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:06 pm

Thank You Guys

But that still doesn't make it clear which one I have to order.
On the order page you can choose from two options: the paint quantity and the lacquer quantity and don't know the difference, except price. Or is the lacguer the clearcoat?
When I use the silver as the base coat, I don't need a lacquer, right?
Sorry for all the questions, but I get no response on my email and the site is hard to understand, even in my native language dutch

Pachi
Sergeant Major

Postby Pachi » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:46 pm

The silver base is applied to give the red the depth effect and you should apply it to get the same end colour. It is applied first, then the red, then the lacquer or clear coat, which is the one providing the glass-like end look.

Notteryd
Staff Sergeant

Postby Notteryd » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:25 pm

Hi again
I agree with Pachi, it's the way to do it.
I took a look on their web page and it was a bit confusing. The colour for your bike consists of 2 separate paints according to their layout, that is why it seems as you need double amount of clear laquer.
As I see it you will need one part stardust silver, one part dark purplish blue pearl and one part clear coat, hope I'm right here.
The silver you spray to an even, covering coat. It is when you apply the dark purplish blue pearl that it is a bit tricky, the thickness of this determines the end colour so start with light coats and compare it with one of the original panels, and make sure you that the room you are painting in not is to cold, then you will have a problem getting a good surface, don't ask how I know :wink:
Strange that they don't answer your mail, as I remember they were quite service minded, but it was a year ago and things can always change.
/Magnus

Bas
Staff Sergeant

Postby Bas » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:55 am

Thanks again!

Now it's clear
I will order some paint when the temperatures are rising again.
Winter is coming and my Gts stands in my non heated garage.
So painting now for me is no obtion.

Return to “Help Required”