Seat stuck and can't get it off to charge my battery

Need help with something? Ask here

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

GTS Spyder
Private First Class

Seat stuck and can't get it off to charge my battery

Postby GTS Spyder » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:25 am

Hi I have a problem with my GTS seat. It wont come off due to the fact that I installed some soft luggage on it. The sidebag straps connect under the seat and created enough pressure on the seat mechanism that it won't unlock. Ive tried sitting on it. Ive tried with two people sitting on it. I can't get it to come off therefore I can't charge the battery or ride. Has this happened to anyone before? Is there a solution short of cutting the seat in half? Is there possibly a way to remove the inner fender and get to the latch? Any help would be appreciated so much. Thank you guys!

Frank

Bas
Staff Sergeant

Postby Bas » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:30 am

Hi,

I would first try to use a little force to get it off.
If that doesn't work I would try to get the lock out.
Or have a locksman look at it, they often have methods we don't know about.
I should NEVER cut my seat in half!
Try to keep damages on plastics ect. to a limit.

Good Luck

Armin
Corporal

Postby Armin » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:41 pm

Here's the work shop manual for download

http://www.pdfmotomanual.com/index.php? ... 1&lang=ENG

I hope you can gleam some inspiration from it.

Good luck!

-Armin

lewisjjp
Staff Sergeant

Postby lewisjjp » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:20 pm

I had the same problem recently but the solution is quite easy, too easy really, if you fit a small wedge between the seat and the side panel at the point where the lock is, you can hook the latch using strong wire ie a gas welding wire is what I used. If you take a look at the diagram you can see how it works. Its not very secure to be honest.

GTS Spyder
Private First Class

Postby GTS Spyder » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:19 am

Thank you for the help! tomorrow I will try the wedge...if that doesnt work I'll try a locksmith....and if that doesnt work I'll just cut the seat in half and put my nicer corbin seat on it. LOL. I appreciate the help...
Thank you!

GTS Spyder
Private First Class

GOT IT OFF!

Postby GTS Spyder » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:21 am

Good News! after about 25 minutes of trying to Wedge the seat up and trying to find the mechanism and get it to release the seat...I had no luck removing the seat. I got so frustrated I grabbed the seat from the rear and tried to break it in half by pulling it upwards...and bam! it just came right off! I couldnt believe it! Put a new battery in it and went for a ride! It has been a while...WHAT A RIDE! Ive been fixing up my FJ1100 for the last 6 months. All I can say is the GTS may not have the sheer power of an FJ but it rides way smoother...the engine and transmission is like butter! God I love my GTS! Thanks everybody who tried to help...if anybody ever runs into this problem just grab the seat from the rear and pull up with a bit of force! Presto!

Frank

Return to “Help Required”