Steering shaft squeak

Need help with something? Ask here

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

Omnivision

Steering shaft squeak

Postby Omnivision » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:51 am

The steering shaft on my GTS is squeaking. I have the factory service manuals, but there is no mention of how to disassemble, lubricate, or rebuild the shaft. All the manuals say to simply replace. Since that isn't a viable option for me, has anyone ever pulled one of those things apart? What kind of lubrication/fluid do they have in them? Any help on this issue would be appreciated!

Daf
Master Sergeant

Postby Daf » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:32 am

I had the same squeak, You may need to replace the steering bearings, and its also likely the upper arm bearings will need greasing, all the info is in the manual, it does involve removing the fairings steering-tube and jacking the front off the ground if taking the upper arm off. :roll:

http://www.gtsclub.org/forum/viewtopic. ... ght=#18879

Omnivision

Postby Omnivision » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:00 am

I wasn't thinking the steering bearings. It doesn't seem to squeak when turning, unless there is a bump involved. If I compress the front suspension, it seems that the squeek is coming from the shaft itself. However, I probably should lubricate all the steering components. Has anyone tried disassembling the shaft without replacing the "special washers"? Does it really matter or is Yamaha simply covering their bases?

Devonian
First Sergeant

Postby Devonian » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:47 pm

It will be the spherical bearing, which is on the left side if I'm not mistaken. It's a fairly easy fix and if you catch it soon enough you might not even need to replace it - just lube it.
MSF Ridercoach -- IBA: 35353 -- 95 R1100GS, 85 R80RT, 96 DR350, 85 TW200, 99 DX125

Brian Steers
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Brian Steers » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:10 pm

I had the same thing on mine, some years ago. It turned out to be the plastic sealing rim, on the front damper unit, and a liberal squirt of WD40 solved it. A cheap and easy option that is worth trying first.

Biggles

Return to “Help Required”