Bike Won't Start

Need help with something? Ask here

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

tiretread
Sergeant First Class

Bike Won't Start

Postby tiretread » Thu May 23, 2013 6:52 pm

Just finished putting on a new rear shock on the bike. Battery is fresh and charged. I hear the fuel pump (I assume) when I try to start the bike but the engine doesn't turn over. Fuel is good.

The bike has sat for about 4 months but I did start it about once a month with no issues. I did wash the bike after buttoning it up.

Any help or ideas? Thanks!

StJean
Sergeant Major

Postby StJean » Thu May 23, 2013 7:54 pm

kill switch ?
If a man says he will fix it, he will !
There's no need to remind him every six months about it.

tiretread
Sergeant First Class

Postby tiretread » Thu May 23, 2013 8:04 pm

Do you mean the switch on the right clip on?

StJean
Sergeant Major

Postby StJean » Thu May 23, 2013 8:33 pm

Yep... first thing to check ;)
Next one to check is the lateral stand switch
If those 2 are ok, watch this video (ok, that's a car mechanic, but you'll need to do the same with your GTS)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=064Ilsz8Fzg
If a man says he will fix it, he will !

There's no need to remind him every six months about it.

tiretread
Sergeant First Class

Postby tiretread » Thu May 23, 2013 9:32 pm

I'll give it all a look tomorrow.

ryszard
Sergeant First Class

Postby ryszard » Thu May 23, 2013 10:57 pm

Hi,a couple of times my GTS would not start,all the dash lights would come on but the starter motor would not turn,it was due to the ignition switch,i took the key in and out a few times and it would start after a while ,do not know if it was a worn ignition lock or maybe some sort of anti theft mode.Maybe it needed to reset itself.Worth a try,i also squirted a drop of wd40 spray oil in there to free the lock barrels.Regards Ry..

tiretread
Sergeant First Class

Postby tiretread » Fri May 24, 2013 2:37 pm

Well, I tried it again this morning and the engine actually was turning over and even started once for a couple of seconds and promptly died. After that, nothing happening except the fuel pump whirring. Maybe it's the starter? I cleaned a couple of the connecters under the left side panel (under the clip on) and they were only a little corroded.

I'm heading home for 3 weeks leave so I'll have to get at it again in June. Sigh.

MotorMuis77
Staff Sergeant

Postby MotorMuis77 » Fri May 24, 2013 5:51 pm

it's always good to check and spray them with contactspray :) It's a little problem of the gts.. (but which bike doesn't on this age level).

Is your battery strong/good/full enough to keep it cranking the engine ? You could check it by using a multimeter and see what the voltage do when you press the start button.. If it drops then the starting relay works, but the battery isn't strong enough to crank the starter.
don't force it.. use a larger hammer..

Devonian
Master Sergeant

Postby Devonian » Sat May 25, 2013 5:14 am

If the battery voltage drops too low when it's cranking, the ECU won't get enough voltage to run properly and it won't deliver any fuel - possibly no spark either. Start out with a good, strong battery before you mess with anything else.
MSF Ridercoach -- IBA: 35353 -- 93 GTS1000 (For Sale), 95 R1100GS, 85 R80RT, 96 DR350, 85 TW200, 99 DX125

OmegaChassis
Sergeant Major

Re: Bike Won't Start

Postby OmegaChassis » Sat May 25, 2013 9:13 am

tiretread wrote:Just finished putting on a new rear shock on the bike. Battery is fresh and charged. I hear the fuel pump (I assume) when I try to start the bike but the engine doesn't turn over. Fuel is good.

The bike has sat for about 4 months but I did start it about once a month with no issues. I did wash the bike after buttoning it up.

Hello Tiretread
Have you tried looking at the starter solenoid? Check for corrosion on the terminals. I have had the same problem in the past and replacing the solenoid
cures this problem.
I love the summer, it is my favourite day of the year!

tiretread
Sergeant First Class

Re: Bike Won't Start

Postby tiretread » Sun May 26, 2013 2:49 am

OmegaChassis wrote:
tiretread wrote:Just finished putting on a new rear shock on the bike. Battery is fresh and charged. I hear the fuel pump (I assume) when I try to start the bike but the engine doesn't turn over. Fuel is good.

Hello Tiretread
Have you tried looking at the starter solenoid? Check for corrosion on the terminals. I have had the same problem in the past and replacing the solenoid
cures this problem.

I'll give it a check when I get home as long as checking the battery with a multimeter. Thanks for the tips.

24c
Site Admin

Trying to start

Postby 24c » Sun May 26, 2013 4:26 pm

Tiretread, the bike is trying to start.

When you crank it do you smell fuel? If you do it's ignition (HT) related. Try opening the throttle a small amount, spin it on the starter and move the throttle slowly until it gets faster. After this it will run OK, when it starts, but tells you the HT side needs attention.

If the fuel pump is clicking on & off when you attempt a restart, it is not getting fuel. Try adding some to the tank, or you have deposits stalling the fuel pump. As you can hear clicking, the 5A fuse isn't blown, so just look at the fuel.

I have just got my bike started after OmegaChassis came round to my gaff, and it was HT related. It tried to start, almost caught, but the weak spark got killed by the fuel, so it never got going. Stuck the battery on charge and two hours later the tweaking throttle helped it get going.

Hope this helps,
Mike
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

webwanderer
Sergeant First Class

Postby webwanderer » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:03 am

I had a problem a couple of years ago where my bike would start and run ok, but as soon as I put it in gear it would die. I immediately thought it was either the sidestand switch or the clutch lever switch, but alas it wasn't that easy.

Took me a couple of months over winter poring over electrical diagrams and trying everything. By method of elimination I finally tracked it down to a bad earth connection to the frame somewhere. Couldn't identify exactly where and wasn't about to strip the bike down, but I did know which wire needed to be earthed so created a new earth wire and spliced it in. Problem solved.
Regards,
Webwanderer (Sam)

"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you." - Carl Jung

tiretread
Sergeant First Class

Postby tiretread » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:38 pm

Bike still will not start. Battery is brand new and working. I have just pulled off the bodywork to check to see if all the connections are connected. The yellow engine light is now on.

This is killing me. I have two weeks left of riding before I leave for 9 months.

MotorMuis77
Staff Sergeant

Postby MotorMuis77 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:01 pm

If the yellow 'engine' / ecu light stays on, the ecu unit is detecting a fault. To read which error it is, the ecu has to be set in dealer mode.

pictures of the manual http://we.tl/rBoFKXm1Zo
don't force it.. use a larger hammer..

Return to “Help Required”