Ignition switch failure

Need help with something? Ask here

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

RE5Guy

Ignition switch failure

Postby RE5Guy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:12 pm

Hi Everybody,

I purchased a GTS 1000 three weeks ago. Having only rode 1970's bikes, it was like something out of Star Trek, just so much better in every department!

Since collecting and riding the bike home, mostly through pooring rain, I hadn't had a chance to ride it again until today - who would want to anyway with the weather!

Anyway, I turned the ignition key - nothing! The key is a bit wobbly in the ignition barrel.

I turned the key to park, rear light comes on. Turn the key to on position, nothing, no click of a relay coming in, no lights on the dashboard.

I checked the main fuse and all other fuses - all ok. I connected another battery, still the same.

If it is the ignition barrel faulty, do you know if I can still get a unit replacement? Any help would be most appreciated.

I do know that this is going to be a fabulous bike, so I'm not put off by one minor issue.

Regards
Guy

PS No ABS on this bike.

SmartBiker
Staff Sergeant

Postby SmartBiker » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:14 pm

may be the ignition switch plug located under the left cover under the handlebar. mine was burnt and corroded. removed it and spliced and soldered the wires together. no problems since.

Chris
Sergeant Major

Postby Chris » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:47 am

Hi Guy,

This may seem as a stupid question, but most of us have been there and done that, is the kill switch in the "On" position...?
Cheers,
Chris

Those you can't impress with knowledge, confuse with nonsense... :wtf:
"Limited edition" Black, 150.000Km

StJean
Sergeant Major

Postby StJean » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:14 am

Chris wrote:This may seem as a stupid question, but most of us have been there and done that, is the kill switch in the "On" position...?
was about to ask the same question.
If a man says he will fix it, he will !
There's no need to remind him every six months about it.

Devonian
First Sergeant

Postby Devonian » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:59 pm

If the killswitch was off, you would still get the dash lights on. The warning lights would then dim or go out (don't remember if its all or just some of them) when the starter button was pressed.
MSF Ridercoach -- IBA: 35353 -- 95 R1100GS, 85 R80RT, 96 DR350, 85 TW200, 99 DX125

supersport6
Corporal

Postby supersport6 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:44 am

I would say It's the main connector plug coming from the wiring loom to the ignition switch. Pull it apart clean the pins and female connector and spray with wd40. Put back together and it will probably work. I had the exact same thing happen to me.

RE5Guy

Thank You

Postby RE5Guy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi everybody,

Thank you for all your replies, most appreciated.

Having worked through the wiring diagram, I came to the conclusion that the ignition barrel, or it's connector, is the likely cause of the trouble. Because the key was wobbly and not a positive click on the barrel, so I've bought a new one and it should be here in the next day or so.

I would have had to change the barrel anyway because of the wobbly key, but I'll keep you all informed how I get on.

Regards
Guy

RE5Guy

Ignition Failure

Postby RE5Guy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:07 pm

Hi Everybody,

Today I removed the plastic covers and handlebars and replaced the wobbly key ignition barrel. On checking the connection plug and socket, it's surprising how badly burnt one of the terminals was (only one).

On cleaning the contacts, pluging the new ignition barrel in, I turned the key, it started up, no problem. I could have just bypassed the plug and socket, but because the key was very wobbly, I thought it would be better to change the lot. It was a little bit expensive, but it would have always been playing on my mind, you know what it's like!

So, I may change the female part of the socket and put some new pins in. But looking at the level of burn on the connection pin, I wonder if this is a commen problem on the GTS or Yamaha bikes of the time - ie turn the key and nothing happens?

Once again, thanks for the information, and you were definately spot on with that burnt terminal!

Just looking forward now to doing about a million miles on my bike, hopefully before I get too old. Gosh - just remembered, i am too old!

Thanks
Guy

MotorMuis77
Staff Sergeant

Postby MotorMuis77 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:12 pm

bad contacts are definitely a little problem of the gts. But I have the habbit to spray any connector I can when i'm doing mantainance :) And i think I currently have them all sprayed :P
don't force it.. use a larger hammer..

Return to “Help Required”