Zero Electric Motorbikes

Got a Bimota Tesi? Or anything else with a different front suspension setup? Here's you're own little space.

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

stevewp
Site Admin

Zero Electric Motorbikes

Postby stevewp » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:57 pm

Kindof a funny front end, in that there's no engine up front....

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

I have been looking at these over the last week and plan to test ride one soon. Has anyone else looked at these, or any other sensible electric bikes?

stevewp
Site Admin

Re: Zero Electric Motorbikes

Postby stevewp » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:27 am

Test ride booked for tomorrow afternoon......

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Pachi
Sergeant Major

Postby Pachi » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:51 am

Let us know what you think of it. It is going to be very interesting.

Enjoy!

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:55 am

Very much so. In all the research I've done, I really haven't found anyone saying anything bad about them

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:17 pm

So, took the 2015 SR model out yesterday for an hour. Covered 42 miles on it, mostly twisties.

I have to say, I was VERY impressed. It did everything exactly the way it should. There were no nasty surprises and it didn't come up short in any way. Feels like a 400/600 with litre+ pulling power. Not that it'll rip your arms off by any stretch of the imagination. It just has power on tap instantly. No changing gear to find the power band. It's always ready to go.

I did give it some stick and, presumably, so has everyone else who's ridden it, as it projected only 66 miles out of a full charge. I must have ridden it harder than others though cos it only had 11 miles of range left when I finished with it. That would be cutting it a bit fine for me, with my 45 mile trip to work but then, I could just go easier on it lol.

This bike is a LOT of money and you could get a nice new petrol bike with more horsepower etc for the same cash. However, it could cost you 1p per mile to run (if you went easy on it) and there's no tax. That would save me about £1600 per year. So that doesn't really cover the cost of the bike, but it goes a long way.

And it's SOOOO much fun!

Pachi
Sergeant Major

Postby Pachi » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:38 am

It sounds as it still falls on the "commuter range", as expected, but not yet as the bike to get you to work and back everyday and then, be ready for a ride out on Sunday. Battery technology is just not there yet, I am afraid.

Heavy?. I assume the battery and motor are, so what about handling?. Brakes?. I understand the motor has a lot of "braking" power.

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:36 am

It's definitely not a Sunday bike yet. Which is a shame, cos it'd work very well as one if it had the range. I guess that is for the future.

It's about 180kg (if I remember correctly) so pretty much sportsbike territory. The weight is pretty low down as the battery is where the engine would be. There's no weight up top at all, unless you pay the extra money for the "power tank", which gives you 2.8kwh more juice.

The brakes are good actually. I never had to give it a handful of brake as they never performed badly enough to cause a panic (not that I'm one for panicking lol). As for "engine braking" - that's all down to the regeneration settings. When you run the bike in Eco mode, there is more regeneration and therefore more engine braking. In Custom mode, you set the bike up via an app on your phone and can decide how much you get. In Sport mode, you get less regeneration, so less engine braking. I was running in it Sport mode ;o) When I have it for a couple of days I'll play about more with settings and modes to see what results I get but, to my mind, you want max regeneration no matter what.

Pachi
Sergeant Major

Postby Pachi » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:36 pm

stevewp wrote:to my mind, you want max regeneration no matter what.

Never ridden one, but I am all about the same line. Just a gut feeling.

Thank you for the info!.

Return to “Other 'Funny Front Ends'”