10 years ago I joined this forum

Somewhere to discuss anything you want to mention, GTS related or not

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

isle of wight
Sergeant

10 years ago I joined this forum

Postby isle of wight » Sat May 13, 2017 8:00 pm

And in all that time I have looked and looked but never quite got there and become the proud owner of a GTS. Add the 12 previous years of looking enviously from afar and you get 22 years of looking in the toy shop window............UNTIL NOW!

I have just bought Devon Riders Blue GTS. Pick up on Tuesday 10 years and 1 day since joining. I will have 3 months to wait before riding, as its being stored for me until I can build a dry abode for it to live in. Just the transport delivery and the final wait to go now. I hope its all worth it :D
May the 16th shall now be known as GTS day

Arno
Staff Sergeant

Re: 10 years ago I joined this forum

Postby Arno » Sun May 14, 2017 9:36 am

Perfect, and good luck for your first ride with the GTS.

jorojin
Master Sergeant

Postby jorojin » Sun May 14, 2017 10:44 am

Congratulations. Hope you have a long and happy relationship :cheers: :D :wink:

I have to say whenever I mention that I am doing a full rebuild on a GTS1000 I either get a blank stare or a "Wow, I always wanted one of those". The funniest occasion was in a Greek restaurant in Skiathos and I got talking to head waiter about is bike and showed him a web image photo of a GTS and he knew straight away that it was a GTS without me telling him. If you need any help with info don't hesitate to ask me or others on the forum.

isle of wight
Sergeant

Postby isle of wight » Tue May 16, 2017 11:13 pm

Well it arrived and has been tucked up in its new home for the next 3 months. But while I wait for that 1st ride I have a few questions that someone may be able to help with.

Was there any changes to the spec from 93-98?

Is there any way to improve the seat comfort without going the Corbin route?

Has anyone raised the handle bars and if so how and what effect did it have on wind noise/exposure?

Why does the links page on this forum not have any links?

Thanks

Arno
Staff Sergeant

Postby Arno » Thu May 18, 2017 2:29 pm

Your first question: The answer is "No!"
2. question: Yes, in France there is a company called Topsellerie http://www.topsellerie.com/de-fr/yamaha-gts-1000-1993-1998_261.html
3. question: Yes, have a look at my homepage http://flammersbaer.de/yamaha-gts-1000-a/superbikelenker/
4. About the links, the answer can give you only the administrator. I'am not the administrator!

isle of wight
Sergeant

Postby isle of wight » Fri May 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Thanks Arno

Do you know if the gel pads make any difference?

After you added the riser was it a great improvement? How was the protection from wind and wind noise effected?

OmegaChassis
Sergeant Major

Postby OmegaChassis » Sat May 20, 2017 10:27 am

isle of wight wrote:Well it arrived and has been tucked up in its new home for the next 3 months. But while I wait for that 1st ride I have a few questions that someone may be able to help with.

Has anyone raised the handle bars and if so how and what effect did it have on wind noise/exposure?

Thanks

You can change the standard seat as in Jorojin's project, i took his seat to company in Preston and they inserted gel packs
to improve comfort. As for raising the handle bars it will have an effect on wind noise and turbulence all depends on the height of the rider, but you could probably solve that problem by fitting a 'MRA' deflector kit to the top of the screen.
And lastly as for the links for this sight, links used to exist but over the the years there have been a few changes to the site.
Your better off asking Steve WP, the site Administrator.
I love the summer, it is my favourite day of the year!

devonrider
Sergeant First Class

Postby devonrider » Sun May 21, 2017 8:59 am

isle of wight wrote:Well it arrived and has been tucked up in its new home for the next 3 months. But while I wait for that 1st ride I have a few questions that someone may be able to help with.

Was there any changes to the spec from 93-98?

Thanks

Hello mate.
It's Andy here, who you bought the bike from.
I'm disappointed you haven't got to ride the old girl yet, to find out for yourself how impressively she runs.
The battery in it is not that old, but I would still suggest putting in on a trickle charger if it's going to be stored that long.
That bike was in regular use in my year of ownership, and I covered about 6,000 miles in that time without a single hitch.
BTW I apologize for stating 9,000 miles in my add.
I got mixed up between the GTS and BMW.
It always started instantly no matter how long sitting, and even the abs still works, which is something of a rarity with older bikes (especially BMW's)
I did several long trips, many of them two up, and had no issue with comfort at all.
I have to say that when I saw it loaded in the back of the van, I became a little emotional.
You don't know how close I came to changing my mind about the whole thing on more than one occasion.
I wanted this new BMW R NINE T, and the condition was (from you know who), that one of the bikes had to go.
I also have a BMW R1100RS, and that's the one I decided to keep, purely for practical reasons.
It's just lighter and easier to manage.
I was struggling a bit with the weight of the GTS, or should I say weight distribution.
She is a bit of a top heavy beast.
Anyway.
Unless I one day end up with another GTS, this will be my last visit to this forum.
I hope my old bike continues to serve you as well as it did me.
You got yourself an exceptionally good one there.
All the best, and cheerio to everyone.

isle of wight
Sergeant

Postby isle of wight » Sun May 21, 2017 9:37 pm

In case you're still lurking.

Thanks Andy.

As you know I'm building an abode for the GTS so it will be kept warm and dry. I've had to sorn whilst this happens, so can only look at the moment.

I'll wait and see before I make any tweaks but the sooner I get the stuff done the sooner I can get it to the Island. Once its here I cant see me doing more than a few hundred miles a year, as we are only 23 miles by 13 and the slightest bit of moisture will mean it's kept under wraps.

I think the best way to look at it is she's gone to a nice retirement home to be looked after and at least she wont have to learn a new owners name :wink:

Sods law,however, says I wont be able to resist a trip to Le Mans again, then my touring bug will be back :D

Thanks again "the new" Andy

isle of wight
Sergeant

Postby isle of wight » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:51 pm

Well the GTS is "Home" and I had my first ride today. Grinning from Ear to Ear. Instant thoughts. I keep wanting another gear! I think this is because I haven't got used to the high revving nature of the GTS compared to my Old VFR of 15 years ago. I find the vibration odd. When it goes above 5000 rpm its like a rocket. The break on the front is just fantastic. Riding position not as forward as expected. Filled the bike on its side stand and on driving away said 3/4 full. I guess you need to put every drop in on the centre stand to fill it. Its heavy but assured in corners. Gear box not as slick as my VFR and Neutral is a bugger easier from 2nd that 1st to N. Maybe Its me that needs to get the feel for it. Tucked up in a heated garage with a load of other bikes in storage that come out to play on weekends here on the Island. Delighted to find it as its safe and secure. Dreaming of getting one in each colour now. ;-)

Mark Henry
Sergeant First Class

Postby Mark Henry » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:11 am

This is a great read - another GTS1000 rider.

Return to “Random chat”