shelf life??

Fast-boy tyres (as Nick likes to call them) or sensible sports tourers? What's your recommendation?

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

ryszard
Sergeant First Class

shelf life??

Postby ryszard » Fri May 11, 2007 9:05 pm

Hi,does anyone know the recommended shelf life of a motorbike tyre,if there is one.Having just purchased a new set for the ZZR need to replace the GTS set,have got a brand new battlax tyre which i've had lying in my garage for a couple of years but it had been sitting in a friends place for several years prior,don't know if it is safe to fit(front).Tyre fitters have given conflicting answers.Any advice welcome.Regards Ryszard...

OmegaChassis
Sergeant Major

Shelf life.

Postby OmegaChassis » Fri May 11, 2007 9:47 pm

Hello Ryzard

There's a possibility the tyre might have hardended with age but if it does not have cracks appearing in the tyre wall i think it should be ok.
Apart from that that is all i could suggest, it is something you don't consider
a tyre having a sell by date? :? :?

slarty-bart-farst
Master Sergeant

Postby slarty-bart-farst » Fri May 11, 2007 10:48 pm

Hey me again Yes Yes Yes I know, my best mate happens to own a motorcycle tyre shop, he's a Bridgestone distributor and a BA Mec Eng here's his pearls of wisdom:-

Most modern tyres are have a very sticky compound that if fully cured in the factory would render the tires a 6 month shelf life as the rubber also deteriorates quickly.

So to solve this the tyre compounds are devised to allow a final cure to take place when the tyres are heated the first time you use them, at that point the 6 month clock starts ticking.

And not being fully cured in the first place from the factrory does not mean they will never go "off" but it translates to a shelf life of about 2 years.

Of course this varies with tyres and storage but these are the rough guidelines, and at 6 months they are not going to turn to glass but you know they may be considered to be significantly worse at this point.

This is why you are best off running in new tyres for 50 to 100 miles without giving um stick because the rubber molecules are not fully cross linked until fully cured are you tear them apart so making the tyre wear quicker/wrongly.

It also explains some discount tire prices. Tires get sold when they are near the end of their shelf life. They will be inferior to new stock, whether we mear mortals rather than bike racers can tell the difference I don't know but I don't risk it for the want of 10% price difference.

My mate can read the stock code dates so he knows whats going on, obviously him being a Bridgestone dealer means he gets fresh Bridgestones but he is also careful to source good stock of other makes to.

He is also very dilligent in storing on the correct racks and has witnessed deformed tyres being brought in for him to fit where they have been stacked together on top of one another. Again this carcass deformation degrades a tyres performance.

So to cut the story short you can not tell by looking at a modern tyre if its O.K all you can do is get someone to decipher the date code.

If this sounds like a plug for my mates business it is in a round about way, but he knows what he is doing and fits tyres for lots of the Mallory race teams who would rather have the best and get their Marchesi Mag alloys back unchipped!

Rob at Performance Bike Tyres Leicester 0116 271 513 7
"Id sooner be happy than right any day" And are you? "No not really....... that's where it all falls to the ground"

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Sat May 12, 2007 5:50 am

Good answer Graham, didn't know about the discount/sell by date thingy, which sort of explains the www.fwr.co.uk clearance section. :D

There's me storing those Pirelli's vertically in a cool dark place away from sunlight, better get them fitted onto the powder coated rims, but then I'd need a new set by the Treffen :lol:
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

OmegaChassis
Sergeant Major

Postby OmegaChassis » Sat May 12, 2007 8:01 am

24c wrote:Good answer Graham, didn't know about the discount/sell by date thingy, which sort of explains the www.fwr.co.uk clearance section. :D

There's me storing those Pirelli's vertically in a cool dark place away from sunlight, better get them fitted onto the powder coated rims, but then I'd need a new set by the Treffen :lol:

Yes that would not be a bad idea 24c! get those tyres on otherwise it is more grief from 'Pinky and Perky'?
:) :)

slarty-bart-farst
Master Sergeant

Postby slarty-bart-farst » Sat May 12, 2007 9:20 am

Hey Mike rob stores the tyres verticly and the workshop is cool so you can't do better than that its just that with the ever increasing demand for stickyer rubber the manufactures seem to have paired down shelf life but I guess the market for most tyres is only 6 months a year now so they must figure its O.K
"Id sooner be happy than right any day" And are you? "No not really....... that's where it all falls to the ground"

ryszard
Sergeant First Class

Postby ryszard » Mon May 14, 2007 12:43 am

Hi,thanks for the reply,you've confirmed this tyre is a no go.Apart from being several years old, the two years i've had it, it has been kept in the loft of my garage which means it will have been baked from the heat of the sun hitting the roof.Regards Ryszard....

Return to “General Tyre Chat”