Strange front tyre behavior

Fast-boy tyres (as Nick likes to call them) or sensible sports tourers? What's your recommendation?

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

thumper
Private First Class
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: West-Friesland
Contact:

Strange front tyre behavior

Postby thumper » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:23 pm

Wen i bought my GTS the front tyre had a strange "wear?"
In the middle there was more profile then at the sides,and the left side had more profile the the right side.
It seemed like there was driven whit an tom low tyre pressure,but the new set tyres that are under now are getting the same strange "wear?" though i'm sure they have not been driven whit an too low pressure.
The set lasts 8000km by the way and the brand is Continental contiforce.

Any1 an idea wat this can be ? :?:

OmegaChassis
Sergeant Major
Posts: 444
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:48 pm
Location: Preston,Lancashire

Re: Strange front tyre behavior

Postby OmegaChassis » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:12 pm

thumper wrote:Wen i bought my GTS the front tyre had a strange "wear?"
In the middle there was more profile then at the sides,and the left side had more profile the the right side.
It seemed like there was driven whit an tom low tyre pressure,but the new set tyres that are under now are getting the same strange "wear?" though i'm sure they have not been driven whit an too low pressure.
The set lasts 8000km by the way and the brand is Continental contiforce.

Any1 an idea wat this can be ? :?:


Sounds like the front wheel camber adjustment needs to be checked and the the bearing in the 'stub axle' needs to be checked aswell, do you have the Yamaha service manuals?

User avatar
Dave Carey
Moderator
Posts: 1375
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:16 am
Location: W.yorks

Postby Dave Carey » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:25 pm

8) 8)
Good Day mate!! As Omega Chassis points out...this is definately mechanical setup/misalignment/wear rather than anything to do with the Contis.

My Bike had the Contiforce front back 120/70 180/55. Pressure 36psi fnt 42 rear. I am paranoid when it comes to keeping my tyre correctly inflated. The only dissapointment I had with these was squirreling out of corners. Stiffer shocks cured that to some degree. Tyres wore evenly..

Now running Pirrelli Diablo same size/pressure a much better tyre and far mor suited to spirited rides.

About 4 of us changed over to these about the same time..be interesting to see results down the line.

Re Cont..Rob/Spitmuis is a loyal buyer of these, he runs with the black chilli compound..Perhaps you should PM him. In any event sounds like a shop job..A capable shop Job and good luck :D :D :D May your problem be a easy fix.
Your Humble Servant
See YA!! :) :)

Image

thumper
Private First Class
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: West-Friesland
Contact:

Re: Strange front tyre behavior

Postby thumper » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:40 pm

OmegaChassis wrote:
thumper wrote:Baaaaad tyres


Sounds like the front wheel camber adjustment needs to be checked and the the bearing in the 'stub axle' needs to be checked aswell, do you have the Yamaha service manuals?

Don't have the possability to put the manual on a cd yet,so olso not possible to look in it.
But tomorrow going to the shop for adjusting the valves and can ask if they now anything about it....

Wen i bought the bike there were diablo's on it whit the same problem,so front-adjustment problems seems more likely to me.
And for the next tyres i was planning to try the Metzeler roadtec Z6,double compound and hopefully not that many tyres needed in a year (about 40.000 km a year)

User avatar
24c
Site Admin
Posts: 3969
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:30 pm
Location: Chorley Lancashire UK
Contact:

Re: Strange front tyre behavior

Postby 24c » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:08 pm

thumper wrote:And for the next tyres i was planning to try the Metzeler roadtec Z6,double compound and hopefully not that many tyres needed in a year (about 40.000 km a year)

I do like the dual compound Pirelli Diablo Stradas, but it definitely sounds like a misalignment issue...if you are competent, and have a good spirit level...it is possible to check for errors relatively easily.

First, check front & rear wheel alignment and note if there is any offset

PS My tyres wear faster on one side 'cos I load them up in all the damn roundabouts near me, and the camber on the roads doesn't help either
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

thumper
Private First Class
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: West-Friesland
Contact:

Re: Strange front tyre behavior

Postby thumper » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:13 pm

24c wrote:
thumper wrote:And for the next tyres i was planning to try the Metzeler roadtec Z6,double compound and hopefully not that many tyres needed in a year (about 40.000 km a year)

I do like the dual compound Pirelli Diablo Stradas, but it definitely sounds like a misalignment issue...if you are competent, and have a good spirit level...it is possible to check for errors relatively easily.

First, check front & rear wheel alignment and note if there is any offset

PS My tyres wear faster on one side 'cos I load them up in all the damn roundabouts near me, and the camber on the roads doesn't help either

I'm having more profile on the left sides of the tyre.
Mostly i take the roundabouts in ze netherlands whit a corner left (against the clock)

thumper
Private First Class
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: West-Friesland
Contact:

Postby thumper » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:30 pm

Finally the workshop manual opened for me.
Only the "front wheel alligment" seems a bit to difficult/tricky to me.
I understand they are saying to do that whit an "waterpas" ??
The 1 i have is (i think) not precise enough to adjust the alligment :?
The brand is playmobil.......

Anyone have tried it themselfs ? Or just adjust a bit and look wat the front tyre is going to do ?
Or have car company's whit the machinery to do alligment to cars anough brains for an GTS ? :roll:

Anyway the motorcycle shop i normally visit is going to try to learn a bit more about "front wheel alligment" so hopefully he's going to get somewhere.
Only i'm hoping to change something before a new set of tyres that is going on it in a few day's :?:

User avatar
24c
Site Admin
Posts: 3969
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:30 pm
Location: Chorley Lancashire UK
Contact:

Postby 24c » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:34 pm

Quick check

Put the bike on the centre stand on level ground...garage floor>metal plate, stick a spirit level (300mm Stabila) vertical on the rear disc...slip pennies>coins>shims etc under the centre stand until it is truly vertical. So now rear wheel is vertical.

Check the front wheel is straight ahead, and check that front disc is vertical with spirit level. If it is, then the front wheel is vertical too and there is no difference between the two wheels, so it's got to be elsewhere.

Obviously, it assumes the rear swinging arm and discs aren't bent.

PS You can also crawl on your belly and use line of sight on the front and rear wheel rims, to check your plan view wheel alignment, but it sounds like you're slightly out of your depth already. :P
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

thumper
Private First Class
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: West-Friesland
Contact:

Postby thumper » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:48 pm

Ah oki that sounds a bit easyer as written in the workshop manual.
And uhm i must say that i just replaced the rear swing arm bearing's and bush (damnit do i have a bush on my bike :shock: )
There was a small bit wear in it.
Will try it this week !

Out of my depth ? My wallet is is very depth ?

User avatar
rooyenan
Site Admin
Posts: 2024
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Boxtel, the Netherlands

Postby rooyenan » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:08 pm

24c wrote:PS You can also crawl on your belly and use line of sight on the front and rear wheel rims, to check your plan view wheel alignment, but it sounds like you're slightly out of your depth already.


Seems you're not really a mechanic.. It might be a bit too difficult for you to handle.. If you're not confident, leave it to the real mechanic in the shop!!! :lol: :lol:

__________

Sir Avalon
- - - - - - - - - - - -

thumper
Private First Class
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:26 pm
Location: West-Friesland
Contact:

Postby thumper » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:12 pm

rooyenan wrote:
24c wrote:PS You can also crawl on your belly and use line of sight on the front and rear wheel rims, to check your plan view wheel alignment, but it sounds like you're slightly out of your depth already.


Seems you're not really a mechanic.. It might be a bit too difficult for you to handle.. If you're not confident, leave it to the real mechanic in the shop!!! :lol: :lol:

__________

Sir Avalon

I must agree that if i'm even good in mechanic as in english i'd better bring the bastard to a shop :whistle:
But there have been plenty motorcycle's spreed out over the garage floor by now to do a bit myself (i think).
And most things i do at an do-it-yourself motorcycle shop.
Always an expertise eye to look on us :wink:

User avatar
rooyenan
Site Admin
Posts: 2024
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Boxtel, the Netherlands

Postby rooyenan » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:33 pm

thumper wrote:And uhm i must say that i just replaced the rear swing arm bearing's and bush (damnit do i have a bush on my bike


OK! Just take it one step at the time!!
Check (or recheck) you rear wheel alignment first!!
Then just follow the workshop manual to check the front wheel...
Remember...misaligned wheels will cause bad handling and tyre wear!!

__________

Sir Avalon
- - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
24c
Site Admin
Posts: 3969
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:30 pm
Location: Chorley Lancashire UK
Contact:

No straight edge in my workshop

Postby 24c » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:24 am

Lying on your belly wheel alignment check, unless you've got a hydraulic motorcycle stand :twisted:

From the front, sight the left hand side of the wheel rim and move the front wheel until both edges are in line, at the same time make a note of where this sight line hits the rear tyre...say x mm offset from the middle....

now shuffle on your belly and sight the right hand side of the front wheel, obviously twisting/turning the front wheel again so teh front most and back edges of this wheel line up...at the same time maintain your line of sight and look at the rear tyre...if the offset on this imaginary line is the same distance as the before, then your wheels are pretty well aligned.

Don't really know if this helps you thumper, but if did me when I was adjusting the chain tension on a smaller bike....it's surprising how far out those little lines on the swingarm are. :shock:

thumper wrote:And uhm i must say that i just replaced the rear swing arm bearing's and bush (damnit do i have a bush on my bike )
There was a small bit wear in it.

Small play across the pivot means a lot more over the wheel centre..now that will cause front tyre wear, 'cos you are correcting with the handlebars what the rear steering is doing :lol:
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing


Return to “General Tyre Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest