Steve WP

Fast-boy tyres (as Nick likes to call them) or sensible sports tourers? What's your recommendation?

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

stevewp
Site Admin

Steve WP

Postby stevewp » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:53 am

Posted Wednesday, November 17, 2004 @ 12:18:23

Ok, I'll get the ball rolling (plus it's a test for the forum to make sure it's working!!).
I've made the change from the standard 130 front and 170 rear to a 120 front and 180 rear. This allows me to go for far stickier tyres, which are proving most fun!!

I've recently got through a set of Pirelli Dragons in 2000 miles, and am working my way through a pair of Dunlop 208's. Admittedly, they're proving very expensive, due to the short life, but they're worth EVERY penny!!

Anyway, it's only a short post to get things started. Enjoy and use the forum, and feel free to contact me with your suggestions or questions.

Steve

David Gardner
Sergeant

Postby David Gardner » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:54 am

Posted Wednesday, November 17, 2004 @ 12:18:58

following up on steve's post on tyres:
steve, i have pirelli dragons on, were on when i bought from dave jerome. whilst they have performed well in the 1500 or so miles i have done this year, they do give a problem at the front end. as the tyres wear (and mine are well worn) the tread pattern seems to give rise to the formation of a step. this causes it to "fall over" very slightly when you tip it in.

i am gonna change them before i put back on the road in the spring. i am gonna fit metz sportecs. i have a set fitted to the mv and they are brilliant. i have had supercorsas and the like but these are everybit as good and are showiing every sign of lasting twice as long. i have covered about 1500 miles and 2 track days on them and they are still in great nick. i would guess 3000 miles easy! i would guess that the way the gts delivers its power compared to the mv, that although its a damn site heavier, the tyres would last substantially longer on it!

i'll post a follow up once i get them fitted to the gts.

dave

Dave Saunders
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Dave Saunders » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:55 am

Posted Wednesday, November 17, 2004 @ 12:21:23

dear all,
as i used to do alot of miles on my gts about 5000 a year i went through a lot of tyres and i do ride fairly hard i found that michelins hypersports were terrible very uinpredictable but did last, i then swapped them for bridgestones batteaxes as they were then (my bike been laid up for 3 years) and it transformed my bike getting about 2500- 3000 miles with out to much flattening and tons of grip with the duel compound (hard in the middle and soft outer),and found that i could keep up with some of the bigger sports bikes even through some of the twisty bits although a few hart stopping moments had occured but then thats all the fun.

cheers dave

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:55 am

Posted Wednesday, November 17, 2004 @ 12:22:05

interesting about the dragons dave g. of course, they do several different versions, ranging from really sticky to slightly sticky. mine wore evenly all the way round, unlike virtually every tyre i'd tried previously and provided excellent grip throughout.
for more of a compromise, have a go with avon av49 front and av50 rear. these were the first of the 120/180 combination that i tried, and were the first that didn't chisel off on the front. they provided loads of grip and lasted about 4000 miles, so struck a happy balance. i know if i was going to start riding to work again i'd go for some more of these.

my thoughts about the chiselling are....sports touring tyres are dual compound with a much harder compound in the middle so they don't flat off with lots of motorway riding. if like me you don't do alot of motorway riding, the sides start wearing nicely, but the centers don't get the abuse they're expecting, hence the 'chiselling'. any thoughts?

steve

David Gardner
Sergeant

Postby David Gardner » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:56 am

Posted Thursday, December 16, 2004 @ 22:08:24

Hey steve (et all)
see post elsewhere on the "camber set up" which I think was a major cause of my probs with the Dragons. One of my mates (who I value his judgement very highly) praises the Dragons and had never noticed the effect that was on my front tyre before.

Anyway, new set fitted - now on MEZ3s. Will let all know how they work next year. But sure they are sporty and will stick well. Last??? Who cares when you get a set for £125. - Jealous??

Dave

David Gardner
Sergeant

Postby David Gardner » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:56 am

Posted Wednesday, March 9, 2005 @ 21:44:28

Hi guys and gals, promised you an update on the MEZ 3s so here it is.
Weather has been kind to us in this part of the world in the last week or so and managed to get my second run out on the GTS last weekend. Covered abot 300 miles in two trips. (also had a couple of blasts on the MV - VRROOOOOMMMVRRROOOOOMMMM)

On first trip bike was set on std suspension settings per the manual. I was solo(6' tall and 14.5st), with luggage. (empty) Bike handling was much improved over last year. I still think mainly because of the camber settings. (main issue last year was difference in steering right handers from left - definate need for countersteer on right handers but not nearly so much required on lefts. Road conditions on this trip were not great (running from dry to wet on tree lined roads etc) However overall confidence level and feel from the tyres was first class. The only issue I had was that the suspension felt soft. Wasnt really effecting the handling at the speeds I was doing in the conditions but I did notice a lightness about the front end at high speeds (100-130mph - of course I'll deny doing this speed if any you guys are boys in blue!!) Felt like the start of a slight weave, although if I tried to induce a weave by flicking the bars it wouldnt and always quickly settled.

For the second run, I put up the pre-load on the rear by a click and increased the rebound by 2 clicks. Up front I put the perload up a click. high speed totally stable now.

Roads were dry and I was enjoying motoring at a reasonable speed on nice twisty roads through Fife. The handling on the bike was FIRST CLASS - really I was so so impressed. Despite almost a foot of snow at the side of the road at times, the roads were dry and.............................. what an absolute pleasure. I have the MV booked for a track day at Croft in April but I was seriously thinking about taking the GTS instead!!!!!!! It was an absolute joy. (the MV is the tool for the track but seriously the GTS is handling absolutely brilliantly!!) I came whizzing down the road home "singing" inside my helmet!!!

Anyway, I'll give an update on wear later in the year but would thoroughly recommend these MEZ3s for the GRIN factor!!

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:57 am

Posted Thursday, March 10, 2005 @ 12:33:42

Quote:

Originally posted by David Gardner
I was solo(6' tall and 14.5st)

Lightweight!! Lol

Quote:

Originally posted by David Gardner
.....although if I tried to induce a weave by flicking the bars........

You TRIED to induce weave at 130?? Are you mad??!! Lol

Dave Carey

Postby Dave Carey » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:57 am

Posted Thursday, August 4, 2005 @ 22:34:08

Ok Dave,
Not far out from a year of wear on your tires, so what's the verdict now..I like the Avon St Azorre ....have a rain version ..looks ugly as hell but what do you reckon for all year riding.

Cheers Dave

Dave

rooyenan
Site Admin

Postby rooyenan » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:39 pm

Since I havn't been riding a single yard, I probably should not write in here....

I'm thinking of the Pirelli Diablo Strada as the first replacement tire for my bike....

Anyone familiar with this tyre???

Have a look at http://www.pirellidiablo.com

Seems to me a nice tyre for the GTS!!!! :lol:
- - - - - - - - - - - -

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:58 pm

Had the Pirelli Dragons last time round. They're one step down from the Diablos, which my mate has on his Blade. I was mightily impressed by mine, and he really rates his.

The Strada looks like it might be a good way to go, although I wonder about mileage. I got 2000 out of my Dragons, so I wonder how these will compare.

rooyenan
Site Admin

Postby rooyenan » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:28 am

As you can see on the Pirelli website, the Diablo Strada is positioned as a sportive touring tyre...

It should have sufficient grip AND milage!!!

That's why I'm interested....

(I had a set of Pirelli's on my former car a couple of years ago that were very good!!!) :wink:
- - - - - - - - - - - -

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:30 am

Yeah, it looks like th Strada is the replacement for the Dragon I had before. If so, it's still not good for mileage, but the few miles you will do with give you a massive smile!

Rob

Postby Rob » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:11 pm

I'm drivin on the Continental road attacks and am pleased about them.

The front tyre lasted for 8000 km while the back tyre did 13000 km. And no I'm not drivin' like a 80 year old.....

I suppose the fronttyre could do a bit better but then again they sendet it to the labatory of continenatl because the innerside of the tyre was showing some strange marks. Thats why I've got new ones from them to compensate the old ones. The seller told me I couild do easaly do 10000 km with them. If not I would get new ones. So the front he had to replace. Its formillier that the GTS eats fronttyres because of the weigtbalance on the bike.

But then again'I had a new pair of conti's placed on the weels and still very impressed by the stickyness of them. Also with wett weahter as you kno we have as well in NL.

See ya.

Rob.
See Ya...Rob

I want to die like my grandfather... in his sleep,
Not screaming... like his passenger...

http://www.gts1000.nl

Return to “General Tyre Chat”