The best Tyre choice "RIDE" mag May2006

Fast-boy tyres (as Nick likes to call them) or sensible sports tourers? What's your recommendation?

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:57 pm

Yep rooyenan...he's changed his mind, and I'll probably be changing mine....just noticed there was 6 reg users a few minutes ago..must break 7 soon.
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

Dave Carey

Postby Dave Carey » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:31 pm

:D :D OK with regard tyres.....I was torn between the Conti Road attack and the Stradas which are a sportier tyre, softer compound etc..I finally went for the attacks because I didn't want to be changing again real soon...

My dealer and his supplier cocked up the delivery of the Conti's...meanwhile I had read that the stradas have an extra 2mm tread depth = greater mileage and have a slick centre section..also a 50degree lean..They are fitted to a lot of R1's.

Fj owners had also gave negative reports on the attack..That was enough for me to swap my order. The tread cut around the sides will suit our back roads for stickability..

Pirelli recommend a 200 mile plus initial wearing/stretching in for max life. They are also supposed to warm up extremely quick which suits our weather and no doubt yours. In a nutshell Stradas are positioned at half Sport and half touring.
Your Humble Servant
See YA!! :) :)

rooyenan
Site Admin

Postby rooyenan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:43 pm

That's exactly why I'm considering the Strada's to be my next tyres!!

Be interesting to see them on you bike next month!! :lol:

Sir Avalon
- - - - - - - - - - - -

Dave Carey

Postby Dave Carey » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:16 pm

:D :D Pics of Stradas now on under post "Pirelli" Under "TOPIC" "Sports Touring Tyres"
Your Humble Servant

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Hmmm....am warming towards these Stradas!

Maybe next week ;)

mikesgts1000
Private

Postby mikesgts1000 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:59 am

I've tried the black round tires but didn't work worth a crap! Last one was a Battlax BT 010 120/70/R17. It's also worn funky whats a good one to use??? I also filled up with Jack D last time i rode over to Lynchburg to hang out with all those Harly wankers.

Nice to see all you Lanc's fellas are still ridin, it's bin 30 years since I left. now give me some real advice on the front tire choice, pretty please!!!

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:09 am

What sort of riding do you tend to do Mike? And how many miles do you want to get out of a set of tyres?

Dave Carey

Postby Dave Carey » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:24 am

:D :D Good to see you posting so soon Mike...

All the info you need is in the tyre section..but for the sake of brevity ( I often use posh words in between FOOK IT )

The Stradas which I know of 4 members have a strong interest...Two sets fitted..third by weekend and our Dutch friend Ansco,, will be putting a set on.

Stradas are designed for the true sports tourer....they have extra 2mm of tread depth..harder middle for straight line touring...and softer sides for nipping around those sweeps and bends.

Boasted as having a comparable life span to a touring tyre with sports grip.. they warm up very quickly, and I did about 45 miles of bends and hard corners and they inspire confidence...not the cheapest.

There are some pics in the tyre section...

Enjoy...
Your Humble Servant

mikesgts1000
Private

Postby mikesgts1000 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:16 am

Thanks I'll keep an eye out for them see if they are available over ere!

I heard that you could change the camber on the front wheel ! other than falin off it that is!! Is that right, if so how'd ya do it?

Mr Wog
Sergeant First Class

Why not

Postby Mr Wog » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:29 am

so have any of you given these a shot, one of my friends has then ans has had them on several of his bikes. I will say this boy can ride and ride dam hard. he has no problems.

Metzeler Z6 Road Tec
Metzeler roadtec radial sport touring tires. Metzelers road tec radial sport touring tire is deisgned with two different carcass constructions to best fit different types of sport touring bikes. Contour modeling thechnology on these motorcycle tires id designed to optimize handling at all lean angles. Patented steel belt technology with stiffer carcassas is designed with a perfect balance for one up or two up riding. The Z6 delivers 20 percent more grip then the metzler Z4 thanks to a new carbon black compound structure. Unmatched motorcycle tire tread life thanks to the combination of carcass compound and tread design. The Z6 tread design is designed to provide the rider with totally balanced performance during the entire life of the tire.
I'm running Z4'S on mine, I'll let you know soon.
people are like slinkies, good for nothing but fun when you toss them down the stairs

stevewp
Site Admin

Postby stevewp » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:31 am

I don't think I've ever had any Metzelers on any bike of mine. Not that I have anything against them - I've just always found something I prefer.

mikesgts1000
Private

Postby mikesgts1000 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:35 am

I normally ride alone, like back roads not highways. I lived in middle tennessee for the last 16 years and could ride most of the year didn't get that cold only for a short while. It's realy hot throught July - August up near 95 -100 so not pleasant with gear on. Lynchburg ( Jack D's distilery) is one of my fave Sunday mornin rides, about an hour an a arf then watch the harley guys tootle around they've taken over the place now. all old farts ridin $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Had BSA Goldie 500 - Norton Dommi 99 SS - Greeves 250 - Bultaco 200 - Kawi 200 - Suzzie water buffalo - Yamaha 600 - Suzuki 500 twin - Yamaha Venture (old type) - Hoda Nighthawk 750 - and !!!!!!!!!! the "GTS 1000" .
My son rides for KTM down in Florida but he's over the top now at 32 he's to old to do much more ! He rides a Kawi 600 for a road bike.

My life's history in a few lines! Bugger didn't do much with me life did I? Did spend many fun years goin over to the Isle of Man for the first two weeks of June, lapped at what i thought was great at 35min. not even worth a mention any more but at the time it seemed like I wuz goin like buggery

See ya ave a good un.

Mike S.

Mr Wog
Sergeant First Class

Metz

Postby Mr Wog » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:40 am

Ive had M1'S AND M3'S on several bikes, but not there sport touring tires.
Most people will never put there tires to the test, those of us who do can run pretty hard on some inferior tires. I remember many years ago 1983 having my Honda interceptor on bias plies and runing harder than I do now.
I use to be fast, now I'm old and quick.
people are like slinkies, good for nothing but fun when you toss them down the stairs

Dave Carey

Postby Dave Carey » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:35 am

:D :D So Paul you work for Metzler then!!
Your Humble Servant

Doug Long
Sergeant Major

Postby Doug Long » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:41 pm

I've used Metzlers on most of my previous bikes and always found them to be excellent. Good comination of grip versus wear and normally reasonble prices. Not tried them on the GTS yet though. Perhaps next time instead of these b*ll*x Michelin Macadams. No feel and don't inspuire any confidence in the wet. Reasonable in the dry but could be better. Probably why I don't go out in the rain unless I absolutley have to.

Worst things I've ever used were Continentals on my Suzuki GS1000S. No grip even in the dry and in the wet every time you crossed a white line felt like the back was about to overtake you. They were on it when I boght the bike, did 1500 miles on them and they still looked as if they had just been taken down from the shelf and needed scrubbing in. Binned them and put Metzlers on again, made me( and my underwear) much happier. :roll:

Return to “General Tyre Chat”