Maxxis MA-3DS Supermaxx Diamond

Fast-boy tyres (as Nick likes to call them) or sensible sports tourers? What's your recommendation?

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

Pachi
Sergeant Major

Maxxis MA-3DS Supermaxx Diamond

Postby Pachi » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:31 pm

Hi all.

I just fitted the Maxxis after the Angel wore off after 8.000 km. Cheaper and looking mean. We´ll see what they have got.

Rear section is more V-shaped than other sport touring tyres, and it shows. After 300something km with them, they behave much like the Bridgestone BT023GT, which were good in the beginning but not so good by midlife and end.

Let´s ride and see.

StJean
Sergeant Major

Postby StJean » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:56 am

Strange looking tyre...
If a man says he will fix it, he will !
There's no need to remind him every six months about it.

iLDC
Corporal

Postby iLDC » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:01 pm

I have BT 023 on my blue one, 18.000 km (mostly highways) and almost no wear.
Yours look very agressive, but never saw such strange things on the side :-)
grtz,
iLDC

Pachi
Sergeant Major

Postby Pachi » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:09 pm

18.000 km? :shock: Mine wore off with half that figure, and the front one was turning towards the inside of the curve after about 5.000 km forcing hard countersteering.

The Maxxis are behaving close to the BT023 in the first stages. They set the bike on the curve with absolutely no effort from my side. No countersteering, no nothin. Just think where you want to go. On the other hand, they are somewhat lazy coming back upright.

The thread looks ageessive indeed, supposedly to increase grip in wet conditions, which is the reason I got them. Winter is coming, so I will find out soon enough. :wink:

SmartBiker
Staff Sergeant

Postby SmartBiker » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:16 pm

can you get the in the USA?

wonder what shipping would be to chicago, illinois?

please keep us posted on how these work out

Pachi
Sergeant Major

Postby Pachi » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:07 am

SmartBiker wrote:can you get the in the USA?

I´ve contacted the guys selling those tyres. It´s a tyre centre in NW Spain www.roda-mos.com and they do not serve to countries other than Spain. They´ve directed me to call back again tomorrowto let me know if they could serve to Chicago and what shipping would be in this case. I will let you know whatever they tell me.

As for further reports, I will keep you up to date on how they work. Winter is coming and it´s going to be interesting to test them in wet conditions.

SmartBiker
Staff Sergeant

Postby SmartBiker » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:29 pm

Pachi wrote:

I´ve contacted the guys selling those tyres. It´s a tyre centre in NW Spain www.roda-mos.com and they do not serve to countries other than Spain. They´ve directed me to call back again tomorrowto let me know if they could serve to Chicago and what shipping would be in this case. I will let you know whatever they tell me.

As for further reports, I will keep you up to date on how they work. Winter is coming and it´s going to be interesting to test them in wet conditions.

thank you

pacou1

Postby pacou1 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:13 pm

Hello, I am French, I live in France. I bought these tires. they are mounted on a Yamaha FZ1 2002.
Here's what I said from the beginning until today:
8/09/2012

I mounted the MAXXIS Diamond supermax 3DS. Exotic brand made ​​in Taiwan, it is written on. (My PR "French" were made in Spain, in my Shinko Korée south as my ContiroadAttack1 elsewhere-this for the "German quality" ... -. Dunlop made in Montlucon (Allier) and Pirelli DiabloRosso2 were made ​​in germany, them ... (although one of the cheapest ...)

So this tire is very confusing at first. Already in its profile when it is not mounted, it is not round! I do not have personal photo available on the field, I will add more later, I took them. But I have an official photo and this is exactly that:

Mounted, it becomes (round). Besides hard enough to get the tire AR ... What is also surprising is the sharp profile at the center. Edges are less curved than PR but the center has little contact surface or perhaps an optical effect. The AV is round but like a dish a bit visibly pronounced.

Of course the big difference with other tires are the stripes on the edges. Relief supposed to heat the hard rubber tires faster and stronger. And it works. On the same course with the Rosso2 under identical conditions, the center rear tire was at 106°F to 93 °F against Pirelli. By against the edges were 31 ° so the first gaffe curves. PR2 him a heated at 77 °F under the same conditions ... After a 310 miles ride yesterday composed of 186 freeway, then national and departmental tires were hot to the touch on arrival.

First grip (dry no rain, 88°F in air), like all my tires inflated tires 33/36psi: input, AV lack of maneuverability. Management harder, nothing alarming, just surprising for a new tire. In S that I know you feel much inertia tires. Must therefore force a bit to compensate. However, I prefer stability if I choose. The Rosso2 had both qualities. Then the white stripes. He did not fear at all. Nothing to do with PR that are horrors in this area (and not only ...). Level stability is imperial! Rail is an understatement.

Where the surprises continue, it is the first turns. Front tire remains unperturbed. The AR it is very handy, you can feel the bike tire rotation with the AR. Profile sharp rocker and stabilizes soon. Not the same there either with the PR2 that "fall" and whose sense of stability is low. Above all, MAXXIS have this feature with their reliefs on the sides, you feel movement on steep angles. Early confidence is not there (the tire was in a 40km long turn as I know) then I used my angles and were increasingly important. The grip does not fail me (unlike PR which I had quickly disappointed when grip 31 miles). Not yet had the opportunity to touch the knee but it will come. Braking they seem worse than the Rosso2 but I can not quantify my impressions on this plan.

For the time and after 310 miles, I recognize their impressive stability (+), a lack of maneuverability (-) that does not bother me and neutrality to the setting angle (-) because at the moment I can too early at apex, you have to break the curve, a good grip for my use (+) (higher PR are not photo-and during my 310 miles in one go, no warning or slips, even on white stripes) but I will deepen during Arsouilles serious when trust is total heating time short (+) and very hot (+), cheaply (60 € -90 less than brands) € 184 delivered!
Some pictures of the tires taken with a camera not terrible side photos:

For now it is ok. I need to familiarize myself with these reliefs indicate that is bent and whose return information is very different from all other tires used previously. See also aging, and the grip when it gets cold. But given how hot it should go ...

Some may say to me "yes, but 106 ° F is cold etc ...". I say at the outset that the road is not the circuit and that reaching 176 ° F or more on the road, it's not every day. More my digital thermometer that I plant in the gum (I have a laser but it is less precise), I do not go out just the pit entrance. I ride a departmental prohibited at speeds, I cross my hometown 50 on 1km, I get to the garage, I leave the thermometer and I plant. There I Maxxis 106 ° and 93 ° F in DR2. Then take the temp of your tires and you will be surprised. For example, I found only 93 ° F also PirelliDR2 while I amused myself put the knee on a winding road in countryside 73 ° F ambient. I think most riders believe they gums to 176 ° F when in fact they are in the 86 ° F. ..

I hesitated with Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 perfect, but I found 2 € for 62 miles glue when I ride hard once in 3700 miles for 124 miles with a car, which for once does not linger, I I'm told "no."

After I could take the sport version of Maxxis ... Good but had to choose. For those who drive road tires and are satisfied, that I can not offer them to try these tires. For those who refuse at all costs to be double, no, prefer tender. But for now on this trip and I would not have done better with Pirelli. I will return to a more accurate. Compared to PilotRoad2 they are superior grip, and that there is no picture felt even if, once again, we are reliefs should be used a bit. Not until after the complete wear.

MAXXIS diamond 3DS 2237 miles: 3/11/2012

I went on the road where I can put the knee without too much danger. It is a road that has a series of bends without straight line but a 0.49 mile and about where you can put the knee on two or three corners covered 56 miles.

Today it was 62 ° F during the test. The road was dry everywhere and dryer on other nearby roads. It rained so long clean road though perhaps a bit cooler. Tar was redone recently to the former (gravel and tar thrown ...) and only in places but not where it would have been good for me. Country road with bumps and grip quite low when compared to roads in the south of France, especially on the side of the Var. This is important because a tire can be abrasive on a road catchy but totally deplorable roads on such dubious grip coating fickle ... I think of the famous Michelin Pilot Road 2/3. With those on the road, not even in dreams I would not attempt a touch knee unless you want to also ask the rest. I'm funky ...

What struck me when I could go on this road I know well with these tires MAXXIS Diamond 3DS is that the lack of maneuverability felt early became striking. With RossoII where it would arise where the eye with the MAXXIS must deal with what appears to be a disagreement between the tire and the AV AR. It resists to then feel the rear tire "rotate" the bike. The scope is narrower than the RossoII and road was only 6.5 feets to 49 feets and not play as racetrack. There necessarily can take his time.

This feature remains. But since their installation, these are still MAXXIS become more neutral. The phenomenon persists in "extreme" cases where the slopes are large enough (ask for the knee, I still have to look pretty, I have short legs ...). I noticed also felt less confidence compared to RossoII. I always arrive more slowly than with the MAXXIS RossoII, which must not play badly in the fact of not being able to put the slider to the ground. I'm not far, but with the RossoII raclerait it.

As my speed is lower (about 3 miles) I do not touch. If I force a bit, I feel the tire AV says "stop" in the form of resistance. The AR is forgotten. The grip was not at fault in the dry or while on any tire places have slipped too. It has been a gradual three times in the same place where there should be something bold. On other roads faster, I have already spoken of this movement felt on both tires, especially the rear. We take the curve, all is well. It is fast, it accelerates and waddle back feels just like before but this is more candid behind. And it is not reassuring. It seems that it shows we are ready to put the foot rests MAXXIS dixit. On FZS 1000, ground clearance is very good and it's pretty rare if sways.

With RossoII in Millau on the descent from the south for those who know, I scraped the sliders left and right as well as foot rests respective confidence and ease. In the last three turns before arriving at McDonald's! I'm curious to see with MAXXIS ...

In the wet, I spoke of earlier. Reassuring at first, then tilts and it escapes at once but gradually, it is not found in the square. And it is in the area of ​​the famous diamonds on the side! I think Jean Mich 'is right. These reliefs are supposed to quickly heat a hindrance to grip on large angles. This is once again the marketing guy who put their nose in what would have been a great road tire without these reliefs are losing grip and generate movement ... And they still hot! The rear was 93 ° F and 84 ° F at the edges with 62 ° F and a gray sky where RossoII was 93 ° F but with 73 ° F and a blue sky. So it is not the problem. The gum is clearly harder but warm. By intense heat, they adhere strongly. Today on a road I know well, I'm still less confident.

Video on tires where journalists are gas circuit, they say that the tires do not budge under water. Except that they go in a straight line and very hot tires. I emphasize their good grip online including wet braking is evident. But back to my famous road, I went through the shady and wet. Got a bit faster in 3rd in a tight curve and drove forward before rebounding sharply. I was on the corner of the area supposed to diamonds ... It is surprising that little known brand do pass marketers who are just snake oil merchants to convince, right?

It is best to alternate circuit route. For road where it heats much less seen very quickly the differences between tires under frequent use.

I say this because, coming to "my" winding road, I immediately disillusioned against these tires before me enchanted. Comparison with RossoII caught my eyes! Deficiency maneuverability and hit me in those situations where we play with the limits of safety (narrow road, asphalt very adherent, bumps), handling becomes paramount to counter the unexpected and facilitate the placement of the bike . I would say it is crucial to also test a tire on small roads winding and very tricky before deciding. After twice the same path 621 miles long ago by the county roads, and motorways, I have not felt these defects, major to me. It was not tricky. I saw a little clumsy but no more. And if this small road is not the most popular, it remains an excellent justice for rolling on road all the time.

Conclusion after 2237miles:

The +:
Wear low-homogeneous
-They heat quickly and always lots.
-Stable and cheap (184 € for two).
-Enough to wind strong enough.
-Adherence to dry and the wet line.
Very good, felt the VA.

The -:
-Clumsy they are.
A disagreement conduct-muscled.
The rear-oversteer.
-Tricky angle on the fleet (AR always) so we are very confident online. (Note that for some 3100 miles rolled by PR2 and PR3 to the wet, the Michelins are well above these conditions. Much worse and confidence in the dry.)

Is what I would resume? To date, not at all, because of the angle movements especially. Anyway I still expect the end to speak definitively. The michelin, I sold after 3100 miles. Those I will go to the end. Because they are not dangerous.

You can see my post in French here.
http://b-king.frenchboard.com/t7410-max ... ui-chauffe

Sorry for the translation, I used the google translator ...

bimota
First Sergeant

Postby bimota » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:44 pm

Hi,

They are easy to get in the UK as well loads about.

Rob

Pachi
Sergeant Major

Postby Pachi » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:21 pm

Pachi wrote:

Sorry about the delay. They won´t ship overseas for the time being, at least.

13blades
Staff Sergeant

Postby 13blades » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:47 pm

Hey Vern, Maxxis is sold in the state. As usual we are the last to get the new product.

pacou1

Postby pacou1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:58 pm

Hi,
The tires have 2600 miles. I inflate the rear tire to 32psi and 29psi front tire yesterday. The tires are more flexible stick better, and especially I am more confident with these pressures.

However, the rear tire slips still a little early and if it sticks in a corner cut gas if I accelerate sooner it starts to slide. I think its very rounded profile is the cause of this behavior.

Pachi
Sergeant Major

Postby Pachi » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:50 am

Hi all.

The Maxxis have hit the 1.000 km mark. I rode yesterday on wet conditions and did not feel very confortable with them.

"Slippery when wet" seemed to be the phrase of the day. I do not consider myself an agressive rider. Spirited sometimes, but not with the road in those conditions. Even so, they slipped slightly in three different occasions and I am beggining to think it was not a good purchase.

Will keep reporting.

pacou1

Postby pacou1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:52 pm

I sell mine because too much movement on the edges. Journalists who have spoken are paid by the firm, I have no other explanation. not bad tires. But too imperfect tires in extreme angles. The rear tire lack of neutrality. The front is not handy.

Return to “General Tyre Chat”