Puncture Repair Aerosol

Fast-boy tyres (as Nick likes to call them) or sensible sports tourers? What's your recommendation?

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

crusoe
Sergeant First Class

Puncture Repair Aerosol

Postby crusoe » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi Chaps,

Has anyone used one of the aerosol can puncture repair thingys??

If so, did it work??

I carry one on long runs but wonder if it would be any good if I had to use it!!

Regards

rooyenan
Site Admin

Re: Puncture Repair Aerosol

Postby rooyenan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:42 pm

crusoe wrote:Hi Chaps,

Has anyone used one of the aerosol can puncture repair thingys??

If so, did it work??

I carry one on long runs but wonder if it would be any good if I had to use it!!

Regards

Yep!!

I did use such a repair kit ones.. Was riding down the German Autobahn, when the rear started to "fishtail". To my luck there was a gas station to stop just half a mile up the road.
I filled the rear tyre with the repair stuff, had the wheel spin for about 5 minutes and went on. The next gas station I checked tyre pressure, corrected it and finished the weekend. (even did a 200 km/h in between).

Sir Avalon
- - - - - - - - - - - -

wheeler
Master Sergeant

Postby wheeler » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:05 am

I allways carry one of those on my bike...
I have regular car size can (200 ml). It will fix your tire on many ocassions, but it wont fix it if you get a hole biger than 4mm in the tire (if biger, then the carcass is allready shreded and the goo can not glue it together).
I had much luck with it to be able to finish the tour and ride the tire to its end (it lasted for another 2000 km). Howewer my friend wasnt so lucky as he got a M8 mm screw in the rear tire and the carcass was shreded. I could push my little finger thru there easyly :lol: . So now, besides a tire goo i carry with me the money for a tow truck (to bring me to the next tire shop) just in case i end up like my friend.
It is too bad though that GTS has limited space below the seat and i have to put a small (8,5 liter) bag on the back rack to carry the stuff with me.

the dude
First Sergeant

Postby the dude » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:42 am

Hey men, how you doing,
anyway I bought a cheap 12v compressure pump, made for a car, plugs into the lighter, so I cut the lighter plug off, and replaced it with mini clamps, to clamp on battery, and I have a tire plug kit, well you know what I mean, the pump is tiny/small, on a ride a wail back a rider took a nail, so we stuffed the glue coated rubber thing in the hole, hooked my little 12v pump to inflate, wail my GTS was running, and bamm he was back on the road. The 12v pump is about the size of a beer can, worked great.
Thanks The Dude

the dude
First Sergeant

Postby the dude » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:42 am

Hey men, how you doing,
anyway I bought a cheap 12v compressure pump, made for a car, plugs into the lighter, so I cut the lighter plug off, and replaced it with mini clamps, to clamp on battery, and I have a tire plug kit, well you know what I mean, the pump is tiny/small, on a ride a wail back a rider took a nail, so we stuffed the glue coated rubber thing in the hole, hooked my little 12v pump to inflate, wail my GTS was running, and bamm he was back on the road. The 12v pump is about the size of a beer can, worked great.
Thanks The Dude

crusoe
Sergeant First Class

Postby crusoe » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll feel a bit more confident when travelling on European Autoroutes.

Not sure if my French M.M.A. Insurance covers breakdown recovery - must check it!!

Return to “General Tyre Chat”