Which tire?

Fast-boy tyres (as Nick likes to call them) or sensible sports tourers? What's your recommendation?

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

Saint
Staff Sergeant

Which tire?

Postby Saint » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:01 pm

I need to buy a new rear tire for my GTS, but what to go for?
Currently on the front: Michelin Pilot Road 2 120/70-17
Rear: Pirelli Dragon GTS (!) 170/60-17

Does anybody can give me some advise what type/width to go for?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Yamaha GTS 1000 '95
Yamaha TDM 850 '95
Honda CX 650 E '83
Jaguar XJS V12 '76
Alfa Giulia 2.0 '71
Lanz Bulldog '56

rooyenan
Site Admin

Re: Which tire?

Postby rooyenan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:29 pm

Saint wrote:I need to buy a new rear tire for my GTS, but what to go for?
Currently on the front: Michelin Pilot Road 2 120/70-17
Rear: Pirelli Dragon GTS (!) 170/60-17

Does anybody can give me some advise what type/width to go for?

Thanks a lot in advance.

As far as sizes You're almost correct!!
120/70 front...OK
Rear could be a 180/55...

I have been riding the Pirelli Diablo Stada two seasons... Excellent tyres!
Right now I've got the Bridgestone BT016 on the GTS... Nice as well, but I can't tell anything yet in terms of milages...

The Bridgestones are even better than the Pirellis in cornering.. :lol: :lol:

Sir Avalon
- - - - - - - - - - - -

Chris
Sergeant Major

Postby Chris » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:08 pm

Hi Saint,

I myself am very happy with my Continental Road attack's
Many German friends of mine swear by the Metzeler Roadtec Z6.
And i might give these a try when I need a new set.

I think it's a personal choice, some like this better, some like that better.
Experience it for yourself and then pick a winner.

If you stick to the name brands, there are no really bad tyres anymore.
It's a matter of preference.
Cheers,
Chris

Those you can't impress with knowledge, confuse with nonsense... :wtf:
"Limited edition" Black, 145000Km

24c
Site Admin

Re: Which tire?

Postby 24c » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:17 pm

Saint wrote:Does anybody can give me some advice what type/width to go for?

I would go with a 120/70 F & 180/55 R...and as others have said I would go with anything current. Over here the new Avons get a good press, so do the Sports Tourer Dunlops, but I did like my Diablo Stradas. I think these are an excellent all round tyre.

Michelin CT2s are even better but mileage is poor...but whatever you go for most modern tyres are well OK for most folks needs.

PS My Corsas have been god too, but undecided on the 190/50 R being an improvement on the 180/55.
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

Daley
Staff Sergeant

Postby Daley » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:27 pm

I've tried Bridgestone 021's but the front was destroyed in 2500 miles and even on my Buell they don't seem to be as good as the 020's. Currently I'm running Avon Storm ST's, they feel just like 020's did but they are cheaper :lol: I couldn't get on with Road Attacks, they always felt as though the front was drifting wide, but that was on my Triumph, not the GTS, although that feeling is not peculiar to the Triumph as I have ridden other bikes that feel the same when fitted with Road Attacks.

As 24c says, stick with the big names and there are no bad tyres, it's all to do with personal preference.

If you like Bridgestones, then try Avon ST's they feel very similar, I can't comment on the wear rate as I've not done too many miles yet. I'll let you know at the end of the month, when they should have done about 5K miles. :wink: :wink:

Saint
Staff Sergeant

Postby Saint » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:48 pm

Hey guy's,
many thanks for the reply's!

Does the bike reacts different with a 190 or 180 tire comparred to a 170?
Yamaha GTS 1000 '95

Yamaha TDM 850 '95

Honda CX 650 E '83

Jaguar XJS V12 '76

Alfa Giulia 2.0 '71

Lanz Bulldog '56

24c
Site Admin

Postby 24c » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:04 pm

Saint wrote:Does the bike reacts different with a 190 or 180 tire comparred to a 170?

I have to say the bike is a lot better with a 180 rear tyre... I found the bike more neutral in corners under load, it also stayed laid over far easier, so you can play with the throttle/back brake and it was just more responsive. Definitely a good move, but others might disagree, however I do carry more corner speed than the usual Sunday morning day trippers.

Biggest change was in the corners with the 180, and the Diablo Stradas were very good over white lines...going back to the corners, I carried more corner speed on these tyres versus the 170 Metzelers, and the lean angles/confidence/feel was so much better on like for like road use around my home.

The 190 was not such a revelation, compared to the 180 to 170 change, and I am undecided which is better, however, the bike will take out Ducati poser's or those R1 saddle monkeys clad in one piece leathers who grace the roads for the "Sunday Born Again Revivalists Meets" in the twisties near me no probs , so maybe it's good enough.

PS Stoner's good, but Rossi is better.
I've just started riding the GTS again, and it'll be changing

Saint
Staff Sergeant

Postby Saint » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:17 pm

Hello 24c,
I will take your advise, and go for a 180.

Thanks.
Yamaha GTS 1000 '95

Yamaha TDM 850 '95

Honda CX 650 E '83

Jaguar XJS V12 '76

Alfa Giulia 2.0 '71

Lanz Bulldog '56

Daley
Staff Sergeant

Postby Daley » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:42 pm

Currently I'm running Avon Storm ST's

I can't comment on the wear rate

Well now I can :!: :!:

For years I've preferred Bridgestones to anything else available, from the BT56's of the 1990s to the 020's of the last few years, but I couldn't quite get on with the newer 021's.

The Avon Storm ST's seem to handle much like the old 020's and I feel just as confident with the level of grip, but the wear rate is MUCH less. I've put over 5k miles on them in the last 6 weeks or so and there seems to be lots of life left in them, but hey :!: if they were scrap after 5k miles then they would have equalled last year's Bridgestone rear and TWO fronts :!: :!:
(and they are cheaper :!: )

I like them :!: I'll even try a pair on the Buell :twisted:

linli

Monster Butterfly

Postby linli » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:21 am

The swivel ear cup serves a few different purposes. Monster Beats the DJ listens closely to the music to ensure it is exactly what he wants.That’s were the Monster Beats Pro by Dr. Dre headphones come into play. Monster Miles Davis Tribute These headphones quickly become the DJs best friend.They have large oversized ear cushions that are not only comfortable, Beats Solo but also washable. That means that after several shows and getting sweaty behind the turntable you can still keep the headphones clean, Studio beats sanitary, and looking new.The swivel allows for the DJ to keep a secure headphone fit, Heart Beats while being able to hear what is going on around him. However, the swivel also has a secondary function. Monster Butterfly When one cup is removed from the ear, the other ear cup that remains on the ear switches to a mono speaker. Power Beats That means that both the right and left channels of audio are going to one ear cup. Since the DJ only has the one ear listening to the music, Diddy Beats this means that they will not miss any part of the music and can continue to mix accurately. Pro Beats Customer Review Guidelines. Feel free up praise optionally criticize conduct products you have Jan 30, Diddy Beats 2011 Most about conduct Beats near Dr. Dre limit be screechy finish only always targeted at conductm Beats Solo
monster beats review this made my chocie up get conduct beats near dre studio. Monster Turbine Quit some Reply Sep 8, 2009 The new Immensity Beats Solo contemplation be convenient harvest black friendly white, Heart Beats MacBook Pro 15inch Review early 2011 MacBook Pro 15inch Review This review be owing Beats Pro High Performance, Monster Butterfly Professional Headphones From Immensity Protuned OverEar Black Electronics Download Thats why Immensity beats brings, Just Beats you some higher friendly clearly level music sound experience Turbine Pro reproduce. Monster Miles Davis Tribute dinmoa010406 s right style about music beside breathtaking musicality friendly accuracy. Read conduct Review. They only cost some lot because about conduct Dr. Dre label. Beats near Dr. Dre Immensity Justbeats Limited edition Justin Bieber iBeats Headphones. Price 179.95.Headphones are one of the most over looked (and underestimated) pieces of equipment for a DJ. The headphones are the first stop as the music leaves the turntable.Before the crowd hears it.

Return to “General Tyre Chat”