Parts / help needed

Why not pass on your wisdom and tell us all your handy hints.

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

Feynman
Private

Parts / help needed

Postby Feynman » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:44 am

I have a 1993 model registered in March 1993.
Bought the bike from a dealer in Kent (without seeing it first)

The ignition switch is about to fail, take quite a bit of fiddling to get it to switch on (bike is off the road till this is sorted)

ABS was not working properly so the garage disconnected the “connector”.
Need the pump rebuilt , which looks to be possible though sadly beyond my abilities.

Bike has a Corbin seat which has I think 3 inches removed from it which makes for a very cramped uncomfortable riding position, I can get my feet flat on the ground but it’s a poor compromise.

Looking for a smaller rear sprocket to raise the gearing....seems a 43t is possible but I only see it in USA.

I’d appreciate any help / advice and I do want to use the bike, especially as the sun seems to be appearing more in Scotland this year.

Joe

Finnfjr

Re: Parts / help needed

Postby Finnfjr » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:43 am

The ignition switch is available. Look for part nr 4BH-82501-00.

Arno
Staff Sergeant

Postby Arno » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:53 am

The ignition switch is always a bit difficult, but a tip, slightly push forward direction instruments and it works easier. For the repair manual ABS see my homepage, http://flammersbaer.de/yamaha-gts-1000-a/abs-reparatur/. Would you recommend a smaller sprocket behind but the original translation 17/47 is bnetter. You can also take 530 chain and pinion.

Feynman
Private

Postby Feynman » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:11 pm

Thank you for your help.. I have today discovered the ignition works better pushing the key forward.
Currently the bike is 17 46 on 530 chain....seems I can try a 43 or even 38t....still undecided.

Thanks for your help

daveett
Staff Sergeant

Postby daveett » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:17 am

If the engine isn't tuned, I'd beware going for very long gearing. There's not a heap of power available, and you may find acceleration drops off to an unacceptable level though you will obviously see the improved consumption.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ggggary
Private

Postby ggggary » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Any comment on how small you can go on the rear sprocket before you have to take a link out of the chain? (run out of adjustment)

Feynman
Private

Postby Feynman » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:17 pm

I removed 2 links from my chain to get from 47t to 41t.

Going to 41t is nearly perfect, bike still has plenty acceleration but at 80mph the engine runs 5000rpm.

From my experience I believe Yamaha undergeared this bike to achieve the desired acceleration figures for advertising.

Return to “Help Us All Out”