Engine Flush

Why not pass on your wisdom and tell us all your handy hints.

Moderators: 24c, Dale, rooyenan, Rob, Dave Carey

Bas
Staff Sergeant

Engine Flush

Postby Bas » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:41 am

Hi all,
Since we all use some oil on our bikes I was wondering if anyone ever tried a engine flush product. Is it advisable to use or stay away from such products. Thanks

Devonian
Master Sergeant

Re: Engine Flush

Postby Devonian » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:22 am

If someone has previously neglected the bike, omitted or greatly delayed oil changes and/or the bike has sat for a very long time with very old oil in it, you might have some sludge built up here and there. The best "fix" for that would be to run the bike with clean oil for, say, 500 miles and then change it and return to normal change intervals. If the bike has been well maintained, then flushing it would be a waste of time and money.

Flushing oils do not accomplish anything beneficial IMO and have inappropriate lubricity and viscosity which could lead to damage or high wear. Stick with normally-recommended oils.
MSF Ridercoach -- IBA: 35353 -- 93 GTS1000 (For Sale), 95 R1100GS, 85 R80RT, 96 DR350, 85 TW200, 99 DX125

Bas
Staff Sergeant

Re: Engine Flush

Postby Bas » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:00 am

Thanks Devonian,

It has not been neglected and use it everyday day to commute to work. I was hoping by flushing it someday the oil use would improve and get things nice and clean. I know they tend to use some oil, but if it can damage something internally or even make it worse I will stay away from it.

Return to “Help Us All Out”